Skill points

Are you awarded skill points for doing/solving things, or for killing enemies?

I hope to god it's for solving things like in Bloodlines or Deus Ex. Otherwise it really ****s up with stealth attempts when you have to decide whether you want the fun of stealth, or the XP of the kill - effectively penalising the player for going stealth.

I know this isn't Diablo or NWN, so it's probably going to be based on actions, not kills, but I just wanted to check.

I think Rorie has mentioned that "taking out" enemies, be it through lethal or nonlethal means, leads to experience. I think he's also said that slipping by enemies unnoticed yields experience at some juncture (?) So I'm assuming that the leveling system will resemble Mass Effect's.

I think Rorie has mentioned that "taking out" enemies, be it through lethal or nonlethal means, leads to experience. I think he's also said that slipping by enemies unnoticed yields experience at some juncture (?) So I'm assuming that the leveling system will resemble Mass Effect's.

Uhg. That sucks so much.

At the end of the mission specifically.

You get XP for killing people and/or slipping past them undetected. I think you actually get a bit more XP for leaving people alive than you do for killing them.

You also get XP for picking locks, hacking, finishing missions and side objectives, etc. It's pretty standard.

Matthew Rorie

You get XP for killing people and/or slipping past them undetected. I think you actually get a bit more XP for leaving people alive than you do for killing them.

Hmm. I'll have to reserve judgement then. But most games I've played that do it that way end up giving you less XP (and loot, but that's a non-issue for this game) for non-violent routes (including NWN2 most of the time). Cheers Rorie.

You also get XP for picking locks, hacking, finishing missions and side objectives, etc. It's pretty standard.

*sigh* Now the OCD person inside me is going to go nuts if he doesn't pick every single lock and hack every single computer on a level. Lockpicking opens doors, hacking controls turrets or cameras or whatever. Those should be reward enough. :p

But most games I've played that do it that way end up giving you less XP (and loot, but that's a non-issue for this game) for non-violent routes (including NWN2 most of the time). Cheers Rorie.

Given the structure of the game, I have the impression that XP is given only at the end of the current mission, and that you level up only in the safe houses. It that is the case, there should be no problem : the XP from the mission should include all "casualties" plus a nice bonus for every gard untouched.

But most games I've played that do it that way end up giving you less XP (and loot, but that's a non-issue for this game) for non-violent routes (including NWN2 most of the time). Cheers Rorie.

Given the structure of the game, I have the impression that XP is given only at the end of the current mission, and that you level up only in the safe houses. It that is the case, there should be no problem : the XP from the mission should include all "casualties" plus a nice bonus for every gard untouched.

From one of the latest videos, either the Customization Walkthrough or the interview with Alvin, I noticed a notification on the left side of the screen saying something like "level up: level 5", and that was while Mike was shooting some guys down I believe.

Of course, that could be changed. In the Customization video, I was frame-stepping through it and I noticed a very funny ability description in the skills screen:

post-24673-1251031576_thumb.jpg

Dragonblade of the Obsidian Order

No sleep for the Watcher

Ha! :nuke: . Is that in the real game or is it jus tplaceholder text?

Yup, always a joy to see placeholder text hehe.

The placeholder visual effects and whatnot for GUIs are usually quite entertaining too I find. Drawn in paint by a programmer, waiting for the GUI artist to make it all pretty :(