Developer involvement in community discussions

Six months later, Obsidian announces that they have no idea what Bethesda was smoking. There is no Fallout: New Vegas; they've been working on The Elder Scrolls V: Fear and Loathing.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Bethesda announced it, not Obsidian.

Are you still reading the NV threads when the occaisonal suggestion/complaint/idle wish gets posted?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Bethesda announced it, not Obsidian.

hehehehe This made me laugh out loud. Jerk-face!

Seriously, though, someone mentioned that more news could come out after Alpha Protocol shipped. Maybe then the loose lips sinks ships posters will come down and they'll lift the cone of silence. That would be sweet. It would be kind of weird to design the whole game and present it fait accompli. Most developers want to get the presses rolling in order to engender interest. I suppose there's plenty of time to do that if they start in the last quarter of year. When is the game allegedly shipping again?

I wonder if this is kind of like the genie scene in PS:T, what with the folks at Obsidian finally getting to work on a Fallout game. :harmless ribbing grin:

Can you at least tell us if you guys are hot and heavy into the design yet? Maybe no specifics, but at least that you've got a full team working the design or you're still ramping up and waiting for folks to finish other projects? maybe? ;)

quick! let's all head over to those threads and pretend to care about something we know nothing about! wheeeee!!!

I always have suggestions. It's like my gift.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This thread got me thinking. 8 million people bought FO 3, most(?) of them [deleted] and shouting best gaem evar!!, and..where are those people? I mean, wouldn't they want to post suggestions and stuff for New Vegas? Are they posting on the Beth forum, or what? Why not on the developer's forum?

[Edited by SteveThaiBinh for taste.]

when dealing with the hardcore fallout fans, saying less is probably the best course o' action.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Would rather the developers spent time on the game making it as fun and bug free as possible, in other words doing their jobs and ignoring the fans. :verymad:

/input:

making it as fun as possible

/input:

ignoring the fans.

/calculate

error!

does not compute

Would rather the developers spent time on the game making it as fun and bug free as possible, in other words doing their jobs and ignoring the fans. :verymad:

/input:

making it as fun as possible

/input:

ignoring the fans.

/calculate

error!

does not compute

Sure it does, try to analyze this. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Or is that you can't please everyone anytime?

Sure it does, try to analyze this. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Or is that you can't please everyone anytime?
My experience is nowadays no one makes their game as good as possible on the first "try" without some fan feedback.

I don't think giving out info about your game or even discussing your decisions means that you must give fans the authority over your design. ...And just talking to folks interested in the game and divulging information certainly doesn't do anything to your design at all. I mean, I don't really care if they talk too terribly much about New Vegas anyhow. There are plenty of other discussions here and I'm picking up New Vegas sight unseen. If they discuss more, I'm happy, but it's not like I'm disgruntled by the cone of silence. I can see why they'd stay quiet and I can see why they shouldn't feel compelled to do so. Plus, maybe it's not Obsidian's decision to keep it on the down low? Maybe Bethsoft has something to do with the secracy.