Getting a new keyboard

H

What title says. My keyboard is dead, and I'm looking for a new one. Which one would you (yes, you) recommend? The only restriction is that the price can't exceed 100 dollars, and the keyboard has to be wired.

20795.jpg

I confess I've never really understood the need for fancy gaming keyboards. Sure, they have some neat stuff on them, but they usually wind up taking a boatload of desktop space and wind up marginally superior to the five dollar keyboards you can pick up in Best Buy.

With that said, if I was looking for a new keyboard, I would probably look into the daskeyboard:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

They're pricier than you want, but they do allow 12 key inputs to be registered at once, and have some nice clicks when you type. They're noisy, though, if you have a roommate or something similar.

Matthew Rorie

I have a logitech keyboard that cost me about $6. Cheap, no-frills keyboards are actually getting pretty hard to find these days.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think if I ever saw someone using this keyboard, I would be duty bound to smack them in the back of the head.

Well, there are plenty of people with severe carpal tunnel syndrome who are always looking for new ways to interact with their computers. There are even some mice that can be used with your feet. From what I can see, that keyboard would be pretty useful for physically impaired people who might not have the manual dexterity to type a bunch of keys quickly. Although it does cost 400 dollars.

Matthew Rorie

I think if I ever saw someone using this keyboard, I would be duty bound to smack them in the back of the head.

Well, there are plenty of people with severe carpal tunnel syndrome who are always looking for new ways to interact with their computers. There are even some mice that can be used with your feet. From what I can see, that keyboard would be pretty useful for physically impaired people who might not have the manual dexterity to type a bunch of keys quickly. Although it does cost 400 dollars.

Of course, but that doesnt make it any less stupid looking. ;) My boss used to use this:

verticalkeyboard.jpg

and it was a real hoot to watch him type. The little mirrors on the sides are obviously so you can see the keys but they even took the extra step of printing the letters backwards on the keyboard so they would show up correctly in the mirrors.

Of course, but that doesnt make it any less stupid looking. :* My boss used to use this:

verticalkeyboard.jpg

and it was a real hoot to watch him type. The little mirrors on the sides are obviously so you can see the keys but they even took the extra step of printing the letters backwards on the keyboard so they would show up correctly in the mirrors.

why does he use that instead of a regular keyboard, G1?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Of course, but that doesnt make it any less stupid looking. :lol: My boss used to use this:

verticalkeyboard.jpg

why does he use that instead of a regular keyboard, G1?

It's another ergonomic keyboard, designed to keep your arms and wrists in a more natural position than a regular keyboard would. Like, if you stand up and put your arms by your sides, the wrists and palms face inward towards your body. That style of keyboard lets you keep your palms facing inward and reduces stress on your wrists. Technically, normal keyboards apply a low-level but constant twist on your wrists all day long. For some people this causes severe irritation.

Matthew Rorie

I have a logitech G11 and can definitely recommend it. It does have some of those gaming keys on the left, but it's not that bad. And I personally don't use them, so they're a bit of a waste for me..

But the highpoints for me (and the reason it's worth every dime spent):

The keys are fantastic. Very responsive, but you still feel you're pressing keys.

Backlit keys (that can be turned off).

Volume and media controls on they keyboard.

USB ports on the keyboard (if you need them more accessible)

Very aesthetically pleasing (in fact, my girlfriend picked the keyboard from a few others we were looking at because she liked the look).

It has some weight to it, meaning it's not moving around on the desk as you use it, and it feels sturdy as hell.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I ended up buying Razer Arctosa. Judging by the feature list, it's Tarantula with silliness like key illumination stripped away. It's clearly the most responsive keyboard I've ever owned, and typing on it is pure joy. Keys have a very nice velvety feel to them, and the click sound they make when pressed is embarassingly satisfying. :yes:

I confess I've never really understood the need for fancy gaming keyboards. Sure, they have some neat stuff on them, but they usually wind up taking a boatload of desktop space and wind up marginally superior to the five dollar keyboards you can pick up in Best Buy.

I got into fighting games recently, and playing one with a friend using an ordinary keyboard is an exercise in frustration because they rarely register more than 4 simultaneous key presses.

20795.jpg

It looks like a nice keyboard. I was just looking at it and noticed they have put a glossy finish on it. I bet it's a fingerprint magnet. I dunno what the big craze is about that finish though. It's already hard enough to find a LCD monitor or LCD TV without it :yes:

It's completely indestructible, and I'd wager there are specimens still out there well over 30 years old. Unfortunately it doesn't have a USB jack, but I think there are still adapters around.

ibm_kb.jpg

Seconded!

I'm keeping my IBM Model M for life.

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/cus101usenon.html

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

• 2 weeks later...

I have this saitek keyboard:

1067329364_feace8ac77.jpg

It's no great shakes for anything other than being mesmeric.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I wonder if there are keyboards with built-in force feedback around too... :wacko:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You can toggle the colours. It has blue, red, and (for no clear reason) purple.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I got that very same Saitek keyboard as a Xmas present. But the build quality was.. so so. The space key actually broke in half after six months or so of heavy usage so now I'm using a no-name $10 black keyboard from Clas Ohlsson.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I got that very same Saitek keyboard as a Xmas present. But the build quality was.. so so. The space key actually broke in half after six months or so of heavy usage so now I'm using a no-name $10 black keyboard from Clas Ohlsson.

I had the exact same problem with teh space bar. I had to pry it up and push the metal spring back into place. So yeah, I agree. But since I only bought it because of the pretty lights I didn't care.

My life is so empty right now. o:)

-Elwood Blues