The Music Thread

Gorth

We talked about it last page. Awesome album.

Ah, my bad. I missed the last few pages of this thread.

Anyway, I'm still in Massive Attack fever. Listening to Antistar right now.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I picked up The Faint's Wet From Birth (2004) and Avenged Sevenfold's S/T (2007) on vinyl yesterday. I bought the latter because it was on clearance. Fear Factory's Mechanize (2010) is all ready out on CD. Still awaiting my record store to get the vinyl in. It's a really great album. It has a lot of the elements of the Demanufacture/Obselete days but is still new and a type of greatness that only Fear Factory can achieve.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Been listening a lot to Fleet Foxes lately. Not sure why I didn't pay any attention to them until recently, after all the positive reviews they got in 08. My favourite song from their self-titled album:

Really been in an indie/alt-mood this year, after discovering great bands like Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Yeasayer, Wilco and Bat for Lashes.

A pity this style of music is dying.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I agree it's pretty good, although not something I'd normally listen to. But what do you mean dying?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I agree it's pretty good, although not something I'd normally listen to. But what do you mean dying?

You don't often find decent prog/power metal anymore, especially 80s style, which is more raw and guitar-driven. The genre is becoming more and more driven by synths, and you rarely ever hear 80's style operatic vocals anymore.

Compare:

Redemption - Leviathan Rising (2009)

Both are considered progressive power metal, but the trends are obvious. You just don't here music in the old style anymore, which is a pity, because it's better (at least in my opinion). Newer stuff just has too many sounds and too often substitutes superfluous time signature shifts for decent songwriting.

Crescent Shield is one of the few recent bands that still plays traditional power metal.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

[

You don't often find decent prog/power metal anymore, especially 80s style, which is more raw and guitar-driven. The genre is becoming more and more driven by synths, and you rarely ever hear 80's style operatic vocals anymore.

I'm just guessing, but the vocal thing could just be down to teaching styles. Very few people choose to learn classical style, which I assume is the basis for that operatic sound. Similarly the general dumbing down of school education may mean that kids just don't get the formal training to be really creative with their sounds.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wolfmother - Joker and the thief

This album is either a huge tribute to almost three decades of music or a very successfull mish-mash of rip-offs from old rock hits.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds