Texture pop-ins

As is usual with UE3 (not my most favorite of engines) there is some texture pop in that I noticed in this video.

Particularly noticeable when switching pages in the inventory starting at 2:50

Is this just because it's on the consoles, or is this on the PC version as well? One of the reasons for the delay to add polish? Sorry if I seem to be nit picking, I'll be buying the game regardless.

It still sucks.

Gears of War 2 had the textures fade in instead of just pop in, which helped a bit, but it doesn't look AP has that.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

ON extremely immersive games (bioshock), texture pops did get kind of annoying because it ruins the atmosphere. On a game like this though, I really dont mind texture pop-ins. I didnt mind them in Gears either.

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

What's a 'texture pop-in'?

It's when textures load in a way you can see - there's a lower res/something else on the bottom and you see stuff appear on it until becomes the end result you are supposed to see. Sorry, I'm no techie, so my explanation is probably at the very least inaccurate.

I only remember noticing it in Mass Effect, not in the (ps3) version of Bioshock, or really any other game (I have a fairly low-performance laptop, so most games I've played over the last few years have suffered from graphical glitches that make texture pop-in seem immersive) :lol:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I've never really minded it happening. Just a silly thing in some games.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

It felt really annoying in Bioshock, but almost ruined the game's ending in Mass Effect. Near the end the textures took nearly 30 seconds to load, and even then they popped in and out for no reason.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'd take lower graphical quality over smooth gameplay, bigger maps, longer viewing distances and extra fluff any day.

I hate when games spend a billion polygons and a gazillion MB of RAM on some stupid space creature that I'll shoot the same second I see it anyhow. Oh, and often they feel like shooting balloons since the game, in an effort to optimize performance, makes the body of the dead animal go up in smoke after a few seconds. I HATE THAT. I want to be able to wade through the sea of bodies I left behind, like in the old Doom games, damnit!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

On the other hand you've got World at War with a ridiculous amount of corpses on the ground. Considering you have to crawl a lot, you'll be crawling through corpses, which is somewhat disturbing.

Or one could always play Gothic 3, where bodies don't disappear..

Gothic32008-04-2104-11-47-43.jpg

(they do disappear, but it takes a few days in-game time)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

and bringing that up, there is Deadrising 2, which is going to have the most amount of on-screen characters of any game ever made (7000 zombies), and they dont dissapear until you leave the area. Prepare to see a las vegas strip littered with 7000 zombie corpses.

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.