Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

The whole "you can't include gay characters unless first dealing with other, more oppressed minorities" thing is just stupid. Including gay characters (romanceable or not) in their game does not mean Bioware is pushing some gay rights agenda, though I can certainly see how people who have a problem with homosexuality might see otherwise. If fiction shows homosexuality in anything other than a negative way, the next thing you know kids will be taught in schools how awesome being gay is and doctors will be told to prioritize gay patients over straight ones and priests will be forced to give everyone a gay marriage.

For those who don't like (and don't take part in) romances at all, the nature of the romance should ultimately be irrelevant.

I'd be interested to know if they did the cheap method of basically making the existing romances go both ways with a few dialogue changes in appropriate places. Or if they went all out for the gay mob over there and have completely different gay romancable characters.

Guest Slinky
In related news, I learnt something very interesting today on DA's forums: DA romance topic

A cookie to the person that guesses what post I'm referring too.

Could I have that cookie now so I can go to a corner and cry?

When this romancemadness started in bio forums, I often thought about what kinda people some of the posters there was. I have come to a conclusion that I don't want to know.

Guest PoziomyPion
In related news, I learnt something very interesting today on DA's forums: DA romance topic

A second post from the page you posted?

I was reading that gasping.

We evolved as sexual beings that reproduce using SEX! Gays contradict this, which is why they've been persecuted throughout History by so many cultures for being abnormal..

Even the nature of the orgasm has it's purpose in reproduction. Men ejaculate sperm upon orgasm, and when women have an orgasm, their cervix literally jumps forward and sucks the collected sperm in her lower vaginal canal, which helps the sperm travel to the uterus and onto the egg (Discovery channel showed this by inserting a fiber optic camera into a woman during sex).

Guess what, Ancient Greeks and Hopi Indians pretty much contradict all that. Gay man can make a baby with a woman, it's pretty obvious isn't it?

Could I have that cookie now so I can go to a corner and cry?

cookie-bite-web.jpg

Sorry I got hungry.....

But here is a fortune cookie:

Fortune_cookie.png

PS: Your fortune cookies says; 'you will see another romance thread on the DA forums in the near future'

When this romancemadness started in bio forums, I often thought about what kinda people some of the posters there was. I have come to a conclusion that I don't want to know.

Horny people, romance lovers, homophobes and people with extensive knowledge on the workings of animal genitalia. In that thread anyway.

A second post from the page you posted?

I was reading that gasping.

While that was a special post, not quite. MC's post wins the prize, for her description of...... mares.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

stone age and medieval are different.

medieval was a lot less healthy than the hunter-gatherer lifestyle

it is amazing the kinda stuff people believe.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I jsut logged into the Bioware forums for the first time in, I dunno, a long time. Amazed my accunt is still active.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

stone age and medieval are different.

medieval was a lot less healthy than the hunter-gatherer lifestyle

it is amazing the kinda stuff people believe.

HA! Good Fun!

yes, isnt it.

healthier, not really, ahving to go out with a spear, and bow to kill to get your meat, while the woman gather herbs, tend to the young.

where in either case either could be killed by a smilidon??

how is this healthy compared to living behind a stone wall under siege, not taking baths, getting skewered by invading forces, improperly cooked food, amongst other things??

answer: they both have ups and downs.

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

Guest Slinky
PS: Your fortune cookies says; 'you will see another romance thread on the DA forums in the near future'

>_<

The next will probably say "You will go nuts in the near future"

I jsut logged into the Bioware forums for the first time in, I dunno, a long time. Amazed my accunt is still active.

I think mine is still there, but I don't remember the password. It's been changed half a dozen times or so. Every time I log in I need to get it reset again. >_<

bathing weren't universal 'mongst hunters and sieges were far less common than your movies and fantasy books has led you to believe. you not think those hunters and gatherers were territorial and warlike? hunter-gatherer worries 'bout getting eaten by beasties were probable minor. on the other hand, a sprained ankle or a broken arm... or any ailment that keeps you laid up for days or weeks... far more likely to be = death than in an ag society.

pre-ag affords a frighteningly tenuous grasp on life. *chuckle* the most successful hunters & gatherers were post-ag... 'cause then they could add banditry into the equation... which ain't genuine hunter-gatherer no more. Gromnir's ancestors were hunter gatherers relative recent, and we got no illusions 'bout just how harsh and uncompromising the lifestyle were. heck, pre-horse it were even worse.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gamestop has sold out of their Collector's Edition for the PC and XBox360.

Horny people, romance lovers, homophobes and people with extensive knowledge on the workings of animal genitalia. In that thread anyway.

I paid about two thousand dollars for the knowledge; I ought to get some use out of it.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The whole "you can't include gay characters unless first dealing with other, more oppressed minorities" thing is just stupid. Including gay characters (romanceable or not) in their game does not mean Bioware is pushing some gay rights agenda, though I can certainly see how people who have a problem with homosexuality might see otherwise. If fiction shows homosexuality in anything other than a negative way, the next thing you know kids will be taught in schools how awesome being gay is and doctors will be told to prioritize gay patients over straight ones and priests will be forced to give everyone a gay marriage.

For those who don't like (and don't take part in) romances at all, the nature of the romance should ultimately be irrelevant.

1) is always an issue of resource allocation

am not least bit interested in ANY of the tangential romances, but the more man hours spent on gay romance means necessarily less resources is devoted to other stuff. bio romances, as far as Gromnir is concerned, is suck, but given their popularity we can understand the time and energy spent on such stuff. but other than something less than 3% of the population that is homosexual, and a handful o' teenage girls, who is genuine interested in gay romance 'tween male characters?

2) am not bothered by gay romance in games.

aside from the aforementioned questionable zots allocation, it doesn't bother us in the least if there is gay romances in da or any other bio game. done right, gay ain't inherent bad, and as you mention, we can skip. no harm. what DOES bother Gromnir is that virtual every romance thread at bio becomes a Gay Rights thread... and there is a sickening number o' romance threads. reminds us o' our time in berkeley... bus fares go up or is an increase in tuition and somehow it were a conspiracy 'gainst the local gay community... which were 10%, 15%, 18%, 25% or 110% o' the population depending on which angry activist were protesting at the time. is not the gay romance that irritates Gromnir so much as it is those lobbying for gay romance. for kotor, je and me, Gromnir were largely unconcerned, but moderate supportive o' gay romance inclusion. unfortunately, the omnipresent activists complaining o' disenfranchisement has made us complete sick o' the entire subject. as we rare ever post at bio no more (under an alt o' course) the bio boards should not concern us, but much as karzak's dual-wielding thief crusade got kinda tedious after the 100th post, so to has the gay rights activism. am now anti-gay romance in bio games, simply 'cause we not wanna give positive reinforcement to arguably the most obnoxious element trolling the bio boards.

"Gamestop has sold out of their Collector's Edition for the PC and XBox360. "

something special come with the ce? maybe a small faux blood pack that you can use to create splatter effect on monitor screen whilst playing... makes game more "dark and mature."

HA! Good Fun!

the more man hours spent on [stuff] means necessarily less resources is devoted to other stuff

Yes.

am now anti-gay romance in bio games, simply 'cause we not wanna give positive reinforcement to arguably the most obnoxious element trolling the bio boards.

I can understand that. I don't go to the Bio boards so I'm not at all familiar with the crazy annoying people there, but on the boards I do go to gay romance is mostly brought up as a negative. I'm not really for or against romances in RPGs, but I guess I'm pro-gay romance in Bio games simply to oppose the homophobes who freak out about it. Someone mentioned appeasement earlier, and I'm certainly against Bioware removing gay romances or limiting romances to straight characters in an effort to appease their homophobic fans.

the more man hours spent on [stuff] means necessarily less resources is devoted to other stuff

Yes.

am now anti-gay romance in bio games, simply 'cause we not wanna give positive reinforcement to arguably the most obnoxious element trolling the bio boards.

I can understand that. I don't go to the Bio boards so I'm not at all familiar with the crazy annoying people there, but on the boards I do go to gay romance is mostly brought up as a negative. I'm not really for or against romances in RPGs, but I guess I'm pro-gay romance in Bio games simply to oppose the homophobes who freak out about it. Someone mentioned appeasement earlier, and I'm certainly against Bioware removing gay romances or limiting romances to straight characters in an effort to appease their homophobic fans.

am agreeing that if bio genuine thinks gay romance makes for a better game, then they should ignore complaints and protests and opinions to contrary. whether it is cave to gay activist or cave to homophobes not matter in least. do what is best for game.

HA! Good Fun!

but much as karzak's dual-wielding thief crusade got kinda tedious after the 100th post.

It was much funnier, though.

I think Dave Gaider is too genuine to include same-sex romances just for the added publicity, but I'm sure there are some out there in developer land hoping for a bit of controversy to go along with the Marilyn Manson and preponderance of blood 'n' gore.

I'm with Grom and the others who are utterly indifferent to romances of any persuasion, think they take up otherwise fruitfully spent development time and are generally cheesier than a truck-load of camembert. So, for the sake of posterity....

WHY, BIO, WHY?

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Confirmed Voice Actors:

Loghain: Simon Templeman

Duncan: Peter Reneday

Flemeth: Kate Mulgrew

Arl Howe: Tim Curry

Ser Cauthrien: Katie Semine

Oghren: Steven Jay Blum

Alistair: Steve Valentine

Morrigan: Claudia Black

"Gamestop has sold out of their Collector's Edition for the PC and XBox360. "

something special come with the ce? maybe a small faux blood pack that you can use to create splatter effect on monitor screen whilst playing... makes game more "dark and mature."

HA! Good Fun!

Steel Box, cloth map, soundtrack, making of... dvd for the physical copy. Soundtrack, making of... video, and the Warden's Keep DLC for digital copy.

There are also pre-order bonuses for CE and regular edition, and if you have a new copy there's the Stone Prisioner with Shale and the Blood Dragon Armor.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I had seen some sort of weird pre-order CE thing that led me to believe that there might be a special that included two different copies of the game. If such a thing exists to where I can get two copies for less than double the price, I'll probably pick it up and send one to one of my friends as a gift. Christmas is coming, after all. Any word, oh oracles of Dragon Age?

I had seen some sort of weird pre-order CE thing that led me to believe that there might be a special that included two different copies of the game. If such a thing exists to where I can get two copies for less than double the price, I'll probably pick it up and send one to one of my friends as a gift. Christmas is coming, after all. Any word, oh oracles of Dragon Age?

I've heard nothing about it. >_<

Gamestop has sold out of their Collector's Edition for the PC and XBox360.

Already? That will please Bio/EA. Sort of glad I already pre-ordered it.

No never heard of it. Are you thinking of the EA store DL version CE that contains Warden's Keep?

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Just checked out the 'City Elf' origins video.

It's not very good, is it?

The elves, despite being allegedly second-class, impoverished denizens of the barrio, all look like perfectly well-groomed humans with pointy ears. They are then subjected to the indignity of a plot device lifted from the first fifteen minutes of Braveheart*, when the English-accented Waffen SS act-a-likes come to scoop up all the elf maidens for a party at the human noble's frat house. Or something. It's dark and gritty in the same way as an episode of the Dungeons and Dragons TV cartoon show is. I half-expected the bad guys to be wearing top hats and have long enough moustaches to twirl as they tie the elf chicks to the railway tracks.

Naturally, when the stormtroopers come for the elf maidens (the one that, almost inevitably, looks just like Imoen from BG1) grabs a sword and goes all Kill Bill on a half dozen well-built, plate-armoured warriors. After, of course, they callously slay one of the elf maidens just for a laugh (cue odd but ubiquitous blood-jet animation).

Before the predictable backlash from the Bio-fans here, let me say that OTOH I really liked the Dwarf Commoner origin and everything about it. It felt fresh, different and (yes) even a little bit dark. This, though, is really quite poor. Am coming to the conclusion that this game, as opposed to not being aimed at players like me, is really not aimed at players like me.

Still looking forward to the game, but won't be playing this origin - the dwarf commoner looks cool and I've hopes that the Dalish Elf one will be better, not that it would be difficult.

Cheers

MC

* Let it be said that Dragon Age is probably more accurate piece of story-telling when it comes to Scotland in the 13th Century, though.

sonsofgygax.JPG