Obsidian, switch engines!

mkreku

As a comment, when John Buchanan was University Liaison for Electronic Arts, he did a recruitment session at my University (about 2004 or so).

He showed some numbers demonstrating general trends at the time for sales, and they demonstrated that the PC sales tended to be static and stable. They didn't significantly change up or down outside of the odd blip here and there. Consoles with their limited lifespan obviously surge and peak, but in his numbers they tended to grow faster.

Now this is 5 years ago now, so things may have changed. I also don't recall if the charts were in revenues, market share, or units sold. But at the time, according to the recruitment, PC sales were neither declining or increasing.

Time to pimp CryEngine 3 yet again!

Forget about that Unreal 3! Forget about Onyx! This is where it's at:

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/cryengine-...howcase?size=hd

Just do it.

I would rather see and play an actual working game on Cryengine 3 before I would even think about licencing it. When is Crysis 2 even coming out and how badly will it run on normal computers and on Xbox360/PS3? :lol:

Looks like Crytek managed to secure a MMO developer as the first announced licensee for CE3

http://www.crytek.com/news/

If my memory is right, the only original CryEngine title beside Farcry series is NCSoft's MMORPG Aion. You'd think license an engine with the reputation of having very high system requirements is not the smartest decision for a MMO.

If my memory is right, the only original CryEngine title beside Farcry series is NCSoft's MMORPG Aion. You'd think license an engine with the reputation of having very high system requirements is not the smartest decision for a MMO.

I was in the beta of Aion, and that reputation could not be more wrong. The game was incredibly stable, smooth and fast. No matter where I was in the land, I was getting 50-120 fps (with everything on max, using a Radeon 4870), and Aion is one of the better looking MMO's out there. No, it's not even a shadow of Crysis, but that's not the point of an MMO either. It seems the CryEngine scales much better than anyone suspected.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Electron was used to satisfy NWN players, if they make another game like NWN2 then a similar engine should be used.

The engine to use really depends on what kind of game is being made, just because Cryengine 3 is technically beautiful does not mean it is good, performance is more important. A better performing engine means more copys of the game can be sold to more people. Personally I do not care too much on the engine used so long as it suits the game and perhaps has some sort of Umbra as part of it. :)

Edited by Kasabian

~R.I.P. Adam aka "Ild

Cryengine is not an engine with poor performance. It only gets that bad rap because Crysis made computers cry with all the polygons, textures, and other calculations that it was pushing -- much more than any other game. Though, Cryengine most likely wouldn't lend itself to games like NWN very well anyway so I doubt it would even be in the running.

• 3 weeks later...

Now if only Blizzard released games more often than once every decade. (WoW expansions don't count)

EDIT: Bioware's popular on the PC as well.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, sorry - yes, I think this is true. However, as far as what we'd consider the traditional gaming industry (the kinds of games we usually post about on this forum and that OEI develops) the PC is an increasingly tough proposition for developers/publishers. Of course, there are definitely exceptions to the rule, with Valve and Blizzard both being great examples.

Yeah, because Blizzard makes great games that were PC only, and Valve did too until recently. Diablo III and Starcraft 2 will sell like gangbusters, because people understand how much time and effort Blizzard spends on their products. Valve also spends a LOT of time on their games. Neither company values technology over substance and quality. I only wish more companies are like this. Set the system requirements to current day realistic values, and make it very fast on those systems. Forget about the top-end, it's worthless to try since the amount of people with systems that powerful isn't nearly as valuable as getting it to run on the low end in two years time.

For every Half-Life 2 or World of Warcraft there is a terrible Far Cry 2, which hardly runs on any system and isn't a very interesting game, or an Age of Conan, all style over substance.

Edited by Kunikos

Now if only Blizzard released games more often than once every decade. (WoW expansions don't count)

EDIT: Bioware's popular on the PC as well.

True, but the last PC exclusive full game Bioware released was... 8 years ago now? I don't have exact data on their sales, but I'd guess based on other games that their games since have done much better on consoles.

I have always been under the impression that whatever game sales numbers are shown, they're almost always only retail and only US.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: