Obsidian, switch engines!

mkreku

Apparently Crytek has been hard at work trying to cram their CryEngine 3 onto consoles.. and they've done it. In an impressive way too. Check out the demonstration videos of real time editing on a PC, Xbox 360 and a PS3.. at the same time!

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/49660/Cr...ech-Demo-Movies

Move away from that creaky old Unreal Engine 3.. you know you want to.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

But.. it looks so.. shiny!!!

Actually, I just wanted to show off those two impressive videos and figured this would be a neat way.

I'm pretty sure Feargus has stated our desire to use Onyx in the future. Obviously there are some cases where that might not be possible, but we built it and it's pretty awesome, so we'll probably stick with what we know.

Matthew Rorie

I still think it would be best to let those who specialize in tech do the tech so the game creators can do what they do best; design games.

I still think it would be best to let those who specialize in tech do the tech so the game creators can do what they do best; design games.
There are a lot of advantages in having your own engine, the chief one is the in-house expertise which just isn't possible with someone else's.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

...but we built it and it's pretty awesome...

Feel free to sprinkle a little tech candy over us geeks who are actually interested!

What is Onyx? Just a renderer? A renderer and a game engine? A complete package with asset tools and everything?

Does it support DX10? DX11?! Does it support streaming maps? Does it do indoors and outdoors? Is it possible to implement vehicles (without rewriting it from scratch..)?

Actually, tell us everything you're allowed to! BRAG!

I want to see a tech demo of Onyx, please.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

• 3 weeks later...
I want to see OpenGL support for Onyx. Please.

Although Im all for cross-platform development, thats like saying "could you change my car into a helicopter?".

(meaning you can do it, but youd have to throw away most of what you have and start over from scratch)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

How so? Unreal3 does both DX and OpenGL. So does Gamebryo. So does Unity. It's pretty silly not to unless your engine will be only for 360 and/or PC.

But just because their engine supports OpenGL doesn't necessarily mean that they will be releasing their games on PS3/Mac/Linux/Wii.

Edited by crakkie

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

Still, if you havent built the engine from the ground up to be able to use both APIs, its virtually impossible without rebuilding large parts of it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I want to see OpenGL support for Onyx. Please.

Although Im all for cross-platform development, thats like saying "could you change my car into a helicopter?".

(meaning you can do it, but youd have to throw away most of what you have and start over from scratch)

Not really. Certainly not if you planned OpenGL support from the start. (Edit: which you acknowledge in a preceding post)

If you rely on third-party packages and your engine is really just a wrapper for those than it might be a lot harder, but you've got other problems with your 'in-house' engine in that case. :shifty:

Edited by Krezack

DirectX is one of a few reasons why games couldn't work on other OS's as well. If you want to break Microsoft's dominance on the OS market, you need to make developers adapt to more open standards. Like Open GL.

As an end user, you'd never notice the difference. The graphics will look the same and all GPU's support both standards.

DirectX is one of a few reasons why games couldn't work on other OS's as well. If you want to break Microsoft's dominance on the OS market, you need to make developers adapt to more open standards. Like Open GL.

As an end user, you'd never notice the difference. The graphics will look the same and all GPU's support both standards.

The end-user may not notice a difference, but it makes a difference for the developer. After all, many tools (XNA, Visual.Net) come from microsoft, and require DX to be used. It makes the lifes of developers easier to use a well known standard.

Only Blizzard and Id are serious about making Mac games.

Edited by Morgoth