Games you are looking forward to

Gorth

Guest Slinky
Oh come on, no game can be worse than Bayonetta!

.. just wow..

Although I have to respect a chick who's clothes can turn into a giant dragon which eats a 30+ feet monster!

Actually, her clothes are made of her hair, that she can control, so when you use that monster she's slowly getting more and more nude :(

japan.jpg

No, I'm talking about the all style no substance phenomenon. The video is a mess of flashy colors under fifteen layers of shaders with incredibly overdone characters and what looks like mash-buttons-to-look-cool gameplay. That might not be the case, but recent experience tells me that when a game looks easy and simplistic it usually is. *cough* God of War *cough* Devil May Cry 4

...sigh...

Its just that they are trying too hard to make the player feel cool these days. Like in Crysis - it wasnt enough that the enemies were stupid and easy to kill (on hard) but they had to add super strenght, invisibility, bullet time and whatnot to appeal to all those who think actual skill is an obstacle to enjoying a game.

Rant over.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

No, I'm talking about the all style no substance phenomenon. The video is a mess of flashy colors under fifteen layers of shaders with incredibly overdone characters and what looks like mash-buttons-to-look-cool gameplay. That might not be the case, but recent experience tells me that when a game looks easy and simplistic it usually is. *cough* God of War *cough* Devil May Cry 4

God Hand and Devil May Cry 3 *look* that way too, when they are played by someone who has a clue. Just watch this or this. And here's an actual Bayonetta controls video. They combine elements from both DMC and NG, and are some of the most complex I've ever seen. You simply can't button mash with controls like that, provided the AI isn't completely passive and retarded. Well, you can try to.

20795.jpg

Okay, DMC3 was sadistically difficult (on easy, on the PS2). I liked it for that, though its possibly the only game I didn't have the patience to get through, on account of having to repeat sections to no end. I heard the PC version was more balanced. DMC 4 was cakewalk. Possibly the right difficulty is somewhere in between, and if Bayonetta is there that part will be fine.

The fact that it was made by the DMC series guy explains all the flash, and insane combat moves.

Still it might be just me, but all the graphical wankery is getting really old.

You inspired me to find the DMC 3 music though :(

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Okay, DMC3 was sadistically difficult (on easy, on the PS2). I liked it for that, though its possibly the only game I didn't have the patience to get through, on account of having to repeat sections to no end. I heard the PC version was more balanced. DMC 4 was cakewalk. Possibly the right difficulty is somewhere in between, and if Bayonetta is there that part will be fine.

DMC 3 was OK. The problem with it was that Cerberus and Agni & Rudra, arguably the trickiest bosses in the game, were the first bosses you faced. After them it was mostly smooth sailing. If you want brutal difficulty, try Ninja Gaiden. Even the lowliest of mooks pose a real threat, and every time a new enemy type is introduced, you will be destroyed until you learn how to deal with them. That's on Normal, mind you. Stuff that happens on Hard, Very Hard and Master Ninja has to be seen to be believed.

The fact that it was made by the DMC series guy explains all the flash, and insane combat moves.

Still it might be just me, but all the graphical wankery is getting really old.

Over the top animation in DMC and Bayonetta isn't meant to be taken seriously. Can't you see the games winking at you?

20795.jpg

someone said cod mw 2 was obsolete.... what could that mean?

is there some other fps that came out recently which has rendered this new game pointless?

i just don't understand the comment... i think it was nightshade who said it

why obsolete? what happened?

Wait. And. See.

That answer's a cop-out, Nightshade.

You think that Dragon Operation game you're working on will make CoD:MW2 obsolete?

They're not related. I am not working on Operation Flashpoint, please don't associate me to anything unless I've associated myself with a project, which I will do in good time.

I won't be explaining, and you can badger me all you like, I'm not moving an inch.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I don't think so, actually. I bet Modern Warfare 1 will still have more players than Modern Warfare 2.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm not as interested in modern warfare as I am in WWII.

You are the only one. WWII has been done so many times that it's not even funny.

Plus everyone knows that Infinity Ward makes the awesome games and Treyarch makes the crappy in-between cash cows for Activision. IW also made the awesome engine.

MW2 will be the biggest selling game for a nice long while. It will destroy Halo: Reach and any other game coming out this holiday season.

The only reason MW2 will destroy Halo is because it multi platform. Halo: Reach will most likely destroy MW2 in 360 sales.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

MW2 will be the biggest selling game for a nice long while. It will destroy Halo: Reach and any other game coming out this holiday season.

The only reason MW2 will destroy Halo is because it multi platform. Halo: Reach will most likely destroy MW2 in 360 sales.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact.

@Boo: Halo 3 is the best selling 360 game selling over 8.1 million and MW1 has sold over 13 million. Only a few Wii games have sold more copies AFAIK.

Edited by Purkake

Actually in terms of popularity people generally love one and don't really care for the other. I think that MW might have outsold Halo on the Xbox but I'm not sure.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You are the only one. WWII has been done so many times that it's not even funny.

Plus everyone knows that Infinity Ward makes the awesome games and Treyarch makes the crappy in-between cash cows for Activision. IW also made the awesome engine.

Modern warfare games have been done just as much. Completely disagree about Treyarch. Sure their single player is usually a bit disapointing, but their multiplayer almost always owns IW's. Call of Duty 1 was excellent, but Treyarch's additions in United Offensive made the multiplayer amazing. Call of Duty 3 has awesome class based multiplayer. World at War removes a lot of the cheese and makes the game more skill based. Dogs kick the heck out of aim bot helicopters. >_<

Modern warfare games have been done just as much. Completely disagree about Treyarch. Sure their single player is usually a bit disapointing, but their multiplayer almost always owns IW's. Call of Duty 1 was excellent, but Treyarch's additions in United Offensive made the multiplayer amazing. Call of Duty 3 has awesome class based multiplayer. World at War removes a lot of the cheese and makes the game more skill based. Dogs kick the heck out of aim bot helicopters. :)

True enough.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I never got on board the "oh no not another WWII game there is so many of them wah wah" train because, not being terribly interested in WWII as a setting I never played that many WWII games.

There are loads of modern warfare FPS out there, but it's mostly uninteresting budget stuff.

I'm currently looking forward to (in order of Swedish release dates):

2009-09-18: Red Faction: Guerilla

2009-10-02: Risen

2009-10-09: Alpha Protocol, Operation Flashpoint 2

2009-10-23: Borderlands

Then there's the usual suspects:

Divine Divinity 2, Rage, Mass Effect 2 (I really should play Mass Effect soon..), Dead Island (if it exists anymore), Assassin's Creed 2, The Saboteur (2009-12-04), STALKER: Call of Pripyat, Runaway: A Twist of Fate, Arcania, Mafia 2, Deus Ex 3, Thief 4, Dead Rising 2 (if it actually comes to PC as promised), Bioshock 2, Alan Wake, Just Cause 2 and so on.

There are actually lots of games I'm interested in so why have I not been playing anything during the entire summer? And why are they now all released at once? It makes no sense.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!