Star Wars the Old Republic

Errr, the link didn't mention anything about the online petition having an effect. (I did check the wikipedia link on my own).

No, it wouldn't be listed or acredited to by either party by now, its been quite awhile since the petition. Finding anything left of it would be pretty tough to find, PayneReactor might have something left on it, that's about all I can think of, alot of it is due to legal issues.

So you never know, it probably won't...but hey it just might work or at the very least get the right people thinking.

Edited by Anonymous

Wait, I have to pay a monthly fee for a single-player experience?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's still an MMO.

It does seem though, that it'll be possible to experience the content of the game in a single player avenue.

Some people may be turned off by this, but others might not care so much. One popular draw of WoW was that it was very single player friendly. If they can take that, with a stronger narrative, it might be a recipe for success.

Take-Two Interactive (Rockstar Games subsidiary)

You've got it backwards, Take-Two is the parent company of Rockstar (along with 2k sports and a few others).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You've got it backwards, Take-Two is the parent company of Rockstar (along with 2k sports and a few others).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take-Two_Interactive

It seems all you can do is pick at peoples arguements, no contribution at all.

Edited by Anonymous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take-Two_Interactive

It seems all you can do is pick at peoples arguements, no contribution at all.

if you'll notice, under subsidiaries it says Rockstar North (among others)

That said, the idea of internet petitions meaning anything is ludicrous. After all, all one guy needs to do is start making up email addy's and signing up. Heck he could probably make a computer program to do that for him.

As to ToR, It'll probably be the biggest challenger to World of Warcraft. As to MMO vs SP? I don't really give a care. I think MMO will earn more money and ultimatly be more fulfilling to me but *shrugs* to each their own.

That's simply your opinion, which doesn't carry much weight, there have been petitions that have been successful or at very least turned some heads...the KotOR III petition (along with others) has been out there for several years and it continues to gather signatures and hopefully enough support to do something. Stranger things have happened, doesn't hurt to try but if you and others don't wish to contribute and help, that's fine. Guess it just makes the ones who do bigger fans who are willing to go that extra mile to do whatever (even how small) they can to help.

By the way I've had my email on there for sometime now and nothing bad has happened, no spam, nothing.

Edited by Anonymous

That's simply your opinion, which doesn't carry much weight

Errr, lets be honest here...all of our opinions carry roughly the same weight here.

Guess it just makes the ones who do bigger fans

I think that that is just rude. You can consider yourself a bigger fan of KOTOR than me if you like. I assure you, you're not. I won't claim to be a bigger fan of the series than you though.

I appreciate that you're willing to sign an online petition because you think it will help, and that you have a higher faith in the effectiveness of online petitions than I do. I have no issue with you signing the petition, because as you say it doesn't really cause any harm. It's a difference of perspective, but I am usually quick to dismiss the effectiveness of such things, unless I can see/hear an official confirmation from someone developing the game that it did make an impact.

Edited by alanschu

Well instead of talk why don't you actually try and do something to help if your that big a fan, all I hear here is the "oh well..." type of attitude here...I've been trying my best since the seriousness of TOR project was announced last fall to do something about a possible KotOR III. I've been all over the web gathering support (including TOR site itself), even talked to some of the staff there Tyler Rowe, Sean Dahlberg, etc...

So instead of condeming why don't you try and help...there's a lot of people out there like myself just trying to do what they can to aid any possible future for KotOR.

Edited by Anonymous

Well instead of talk why don't you actually try and do something to help if your that big a fan, all I hear here is the "oh well..." type of attitude here...I've been trying my best since the seriousness of TOR project was announced last fall to do something about a possible KotOR III. I've been all over the web gathering support (including TOR site itself), even talked to some of the staff there Tyler Rowe, Sean Dahlberg, etc...

So instead of condeming why don't you try and help...there's a lot of people out there like myself just trying to do what they can to aid any possible future for KotOR.

Maybe we think that ToR is the future of KotoR? And figure that guys who know the business and how to make games know better than every person who calls themselves a fan and demeans others to make their points?

I'm curiously awaiting more information about SWTOR. If it can deliver on its promises and award me a KOTOR like game experience, then I'll be delighted.

A KOTOR 3 is nice, but I am open to other ideas in the setting. Heck, if they can deliver on the KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 promise, then I'll be ecstatic! Though I'm skeptical of that particular claim. Though individual classes having completely different story arcs is promising.

I'm not condeming anyone actively pursuing a continuation of the storyline after KOTOR 2.

I signed the petition.

I didn't as it's not likely to do anything but register e-mail adresses for spammers. :(

Not unless they hack me. I change my e-mail password every week.

Your email password has no bearing on whether or not someone will SEND you email.

Having said that, I assure you that changing your password that frequently is not necessary.

Instead of trying out proven ineffectual ideas, why don't you try to organize something that might actually work. As I posted over in another thread, these online petitions do not work. They are generally viewed is nothing more than a joke by game developers and publishers and those that organize them are perceived as an insignificant number of desperate nerds with no life outside of their passion for whatever game they a railing for or against now.

If you want to do something that might actually have a glimmer of a chance at success, organize a letter writing campaign. Yes, that's right... snail mail. Thousands of anonymous internet "signatures" are easy to dismiss because of how easy they are to fake. Thousands of hand-written letters and postcards arriving on their desks... not so easy to ignore. If people show that they are willing to take the time to write about a game then pay to mail it, it shows a much higher level of commitment than a point and click petition ever will. That's how fans accomplished things like getting the TV show Jericho renewed for an extra season, not through pointless internet petitions, but through organized letter writing campaigns. I'm not saying that it would be guaranteed to work, but it has a much greater chance of success than any internet petition ever would.

Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the dogs of War!

userbar2kq0.jpg

cogadh.jpeg

...there's a lot of people out there like myself just trying to do what they can to aid any possible future for KotOR.

Then do something like snailmail Lucas Arts, that's more likely to be effective. :)

I signed the petition.

I didn't as it's not likely to do anything but register e-mail adresses for spammers. :p

Not unless they hack me. I change my e-mail password every week.

And how does that protect you against spam? :(

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

If you want to do something that might actually have a glimmer of a chance at success, organize a letter writing campaign. Yes, that's right... snail mail. Thousands of anonymous internet "signatures" are easy to dismiss because of how easy they are to fake. Thousands of hand-written letters and postcards arriving on their desks... not so easy to ignore. If people show that they are willing to take the time to write about a game then pay to mail it, it shows a much higher level of commitment than a point and click petition ever will. That's how fans accomplished things like getting the TV show Jericho renewed for an extra season, not through pointless internet petitions, but through organized letter writing campaigns. I'm not saying that it would be guaranteed to work, but it has a much greater chance of success than any internet petition ever would.

I already have taken the steps you speak of a long time ago, nothing good or productive has come of it. The petitions and fans are the last hope to get our voice heard. Oh and in case you missed it...

'As one of the original Payne fans from 2001 no problem, Max Payne 2 was a great game that was just as good if not better than the original but sales did not reflect so...therefore any hopes of a sequel were put on the shelf indefinetly, three possible storylines were written by Remedy for a Max Payne 3 but ultimately scrapped upon selling of franchise to Take-Two Interactive (Rockstar Games subsidiary) in 2002. By the time rumours of a Max Payne sequel began Sam Lake (writer and creator of Max Payne) had moved on to other projects with Remedy Entertainment...namely Alan Wake. So the combined community of various Max Payne forums and fan sites got together to petition to Sam and Remedy to still make a Max Payne 3 with Take-Two (Rockstar). Even after a surprising number of signatures of support all attempts were inevitably denied and rejected, the resulting firestorm had (rather unfortunetly) stirred things at Take-Two and thoughts of a possible Max Payne 3 began once again with Rockstar...there you have it'

Yep, petitions have been successful, like I said at the very least it might turn some heads. I've already talked to staff over at TOR site about it...slow progress, reason I'm even here is I'm reaching out wherever I can.

Oh and uh maybe you guys missed this, post is on bottom page...http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showt...5&start=315

Edited by Anonymous

If you had taken those steps before, you didn't do a very good job of it, since all of us "true fans" of KotOR never heard anything about a fan-sponsored letter writing campaign. We've all heard more about this doomed to failure petition though.

Also, I'm sorry, but nothing more than your word that an online petition saved Max Payne without any shred of corroboration and in fact ample evidence to the contrary is meaningless. Show me one verifiable example where a producer of some kind has openly stated that an internet petition has changed their mind about a game, movie or TV show and I will concede that you could be right. I can give you several examples of the snail mail idea, using everything from simple letters to hot sauce and nuts, actually working (in television): Star Trek, Jericho, Farscape, The Sentinel, America's Most Wanted, Roswell, MST3K, Sliders, Chuck... I could keep going

Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the dogs of War!

userbar2kq0.jpg

cogadh.jpeg

If you had taken those steps before, you didn't do a very good job of it, since all of us "true fans" of KotOR never heard anything about a fan-sponsored letter writing campaign. We've all heard more about this doomed to failure petition though.

Also, I'm sorry, but nothing more than your word that an online petition saved Max Payne without any shred of corroboration and in fact ample evidence to the contrary is meaningless. Show me one verifiable example where a producer of some kind has openly stated that an internet petition has changed their mind about a game, movie or TV show and I will concede that you could be right. I can give you several examples of the snail mail idea, using everything from simple letters to hot sauce and nuts, actually working (in television): Star Trek, Jericho, Farscape, The Sentinel, America's Most Wanted, Roswell, MST3K, Sliders, Chuck... I could keep going

No, it wouldn't be listed or acredited to by either party by now, its been quite awhile since the petition. Finding anything left of it would be pretty tough to find, PayneReactor might have something left on it, that's about all I can think of, alot of it is due to legal issues.

So you never know, it probably won't...but hey it just might work or at the very least get the right people thinking.

Didn't try very hard eh? I couldn't even get my foot in the door before it was closed, that's how fast I was shot down. When people start threatening you with legal action then I decided to fold...wasn't worth a lawsuit.

And forgive me but its not too smart to jump in the middle of a conversation and start talking about a discussion you were never apart of...and then begin giving advice lol.

I will continue my efforts with the fans to the best of my ability, and if wanted...elsewhere.