Star Wars the Old Republic

Haha, the hate is actually entertaining now.

If it crashes and burns, regardless of BioWare's status, I guarantee there will never be a KOTOR 3.

It better not be that way, and I'm betting if TOR is big, then there'll probably be no KotOR III for a long time.

Yup, so right now you're in a loose loose scenario if you're a K3 deifier. If ToR burns you have a very low chance of seeing a game in the same timeline, if TOR succeeds they won't tell a story near the TOR continuum to prevent a lot of work being done to bring things in line.

This is why you'll never see warcraft IV.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

KotOR III made by Obsidian would be ace. If they would be given enough time.

I don't see how this could be considered a competition. Hell, it could increase the MMO sales.

The problem however with putting two games in similar areas, one mmo, one of any other genre, is that the MMO for the most part has to have a static story. Meaning that the story cannot change to meet with the other games. So if they threw out a warcraft four right now then WoW's questlines and overall plot would have to change DRASTICALLY in order to deal with the fact that this other war has occurred and irrevocably changed the world.

Yeah, you're right, but looking at Wikipedia I've found this:

The story takes place in the Star Wars fictional universe shortly after the establishment of a tenuous peace between the re-emergent Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic,[18] 300 years after the events of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games.

A lot of space to continue the KotOR storyline. Hell, if they were smart they would've released a single player RPG with a story that would directly segue to MMO's plot.

Yeah, you're right, but looking at Wikipedia I've found this:

The story takes place in the Star Wars fictional universe shortly after the establishment of a tenuous peace between the re-emergent Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic,[18] 300 years after the events of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games.

A lot of space to continue the KotOR storyline. Hell, if they were smart they would've released a single player RPG with a story that would directly segue to MMO's plot.

Bioware claims the MMO is the sequel, and you can play it as a single player game, except you get tons more content. This of course remains to be seen. But yeah, if the MMO fails, the 300 year hole is certainly something they could stick a sequel into.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

BioWare's claims about sequel isn't necessarily about content, but that those seeking a gameplay experience similar to KOTOR, in the timeline and setting of KOTOR, can expect to get it from SWTOR (whether or not they deliver is another issue entirely).

If that didn't need an E-Mail Address, I would sign it..... :lol:

Open a "spam" account or use a forwarding service. :lol:

EDIT: By "single-player" they mean playing the MMO by yourself - id est there will still be fees.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Not only by yourself but they promise enough story and content so it actually plays like a single player game. You still have to pay the subscription, but of course you can quit once you play through all the content and don't want to do the MMO stuff.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

If that didn't need an E-Mail Address, I would sign it..... :(

Wait, TOR can be played SP? Does it need a subscription for Single-Player?????....

Its safe, just choose 'private' under your email selection.

Just gonna say, internet petitions rarely get any attention because of the fact that it could just be ONE guy doing EVERYTHING.

KotOR III made by Obsidian would be ace. If they would be given enough time.

I don't see how this could be considered a competition. Hell, it could increase the MMO sales.

That sounds good, Obsidian makes KotOR III and shoves it right in LucasArts' face and says, "Publish this, and if you dont want to, tough ternals."

deicideLogo5.jpg

Was any internet petition successful, really?

Yes actually some have been, 15,979 names...when Lucas receives it they'll know that there's still alot of people who want a KotOR III. Its a longshot pipedream if there ever was one but if anything maybe it'll get them thinking. As fans instead of complaining or taking the 'oh well..' road it doesn't hurt to actually do something to help.

That's just one however, there are several others. Althogh this one is the biggest and carries the most weight to actually get to Lucas...

Which internet petitions were successful?

I tend to be of the belief that you'd have much more success with a real petition, or even a written letter, delivered to Lucasarts rather than an internet petition.

Internet petitions lose validity simply because they are in the internet, and hence are easily exaggerated and anonymous.

Which internet petitions were successful?

I tend to be of the belief that you'd have much more success with a real petition, or even a written letter, delivered to Lucasarts rather than an internet petition.

Internet petitions lose validity simply because they are in the internet, and hence are easily exaggerated and anonymous.

I know for a fact the one to Rockstar for a Max Payne 3 was (and it was an internet petition from fans), I personally didn't support it and think the next game doesn't look so good but still it got to Rockstar and even without Remedy and Sam Lake its being made by Rockstar Vancouver presently...there are other examples but they rarely work, doesn't mean it hurts to try even if you don't wish to do anything about it.

From what I understand, in order for an internet petition to even be looked at it needs a hundred thousand signatures. Even then they're usually ignored because this is the anon internet.

From what I understand, in order for an internet petition to even be looked at it needs a hundred thousand signatures. Even then they're usually ignored because this is the anon internet.

That's not neccessarily true, I've seen less that have been considered for future development of games. Regardless doesn't hurt to help... :wacko:

I did some quick searching but can't find anything about the petition being the reason why Max Payne 3 is in development. Lend a hand?

As one of the original Payne fans from 2001 no problem, Max Payne 2 was a great game that was just as good if not better than the original but sales did not reflect so...therefore any hopes of a sequel were put on the shelf indefinetly, three possible storylines were written by Remedy for a Max Payne 3 but ultimately scrapped upon selling of franchise to Take-Two Interactive (Rockstar Games subsidiary) in 2002. By the time rumours of a Max Payne sequel began Sam Lake (writer and creator of Max Payne) had moved on to other projects with Remedy Entertainment...namely Alan Wake. So the combined community of various Max Payne forums and fan sites got together to petition to Sam and Remedy to still make a Max Payne 3 with Take-Two (Rockstar). Even after a surprising number of signatures of support all attempts were inevitably denied and rejected, the resulting firestorm had (rather unfortunetly) stirred things at Take-Two and thoughts of a possible Max Payne 3 began once again with Rockstar...there you have it.

Although I don't think any kind of future project with Max Payne will work at all without the talented writing and design of Sam and Remedy...yeah, its going to suck. They're supplanting Max out of New York 12 years later making him bald in Brazil lol...without even the talented James McCaffrey's voiceover. Looks more like that piece of sh*t hollywood movie than the Max Payne we're all familiar with...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Payne_3