Star Wars the Old Republic

MMOs suck. I aint payin money to play monthly for somethin Ive forked out $99 for. Bioware are scumbags. But they are owned by EA so what do you expect?

Kotor 2 is the better game anyway. Obsidian know how to make a good Combat system.. unlike damn Bioware where you have to keep switching between ranged charactors since they never Auto Attack with Rapid shot or powerblast.

I hate to be Codexian about this, but it really does look ****. And that they have to hype the (crap) VOs is telling, IMO.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

MMOs suck. I aint payin money to play monthly for somethin Ive forked out $99 for. Bioware are scumbags. But they are owned by EA so what do you expect?

Kotor 2 is the better game anyway. Obsidian know how to make a good Combat system.. unlike damn Bioware where you have to keep switching between ranged charactors since they never Auto Attack with Rapid shot or powerblast.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! :p:o:yes: :yes: :yes:

I hate to be Codexian about this, but it really does look ****. And that they have to hype the (crap) VOs is telling, IMO.

I'm just curious to those that are quite outspoken against the art style and voice overs: What is it precisely that is bad about it?

Be honest with yourselves, if you saw those videos and it was all about KOTOR 3, would you actually be unhappy?

Edited by alanschu

I'm just curious to those that are quite outspoken against the art style and voice overs: What is it precisely that is bad about it?

Be honest with yourselves, if you saw those videos and it was all about KOTOR 3, would you actually be unhappy?

I think their point on the VO is that the hype surrounding it is "to hide it's real flaws and lack of substance" or some garbage.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

There were two major hype points for KOTOR1 before release. One was simply that it was a Star Wars RPG, the other was that all the NPCs had full VO.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think BioWare is just too lazy to put a K and an O in front of TOR. :lol: :lol:

King of?

Kind of?

King Oobleck?

kartandian ortangian?

Kiddie orangutan?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

This new MMO crap isnt KOTOR!!!!!!!! :lol: We want KOTOR 3 and we should do something about it. I am very disappointed with the new game that Bio-Ware has come out with. They completed destroyed the two best characters in Star Wars since Luke and Darth Vader...Revan and Bastila. Please reply and help to let Obsidian know that they still have a chance to make KOTOR 3 and that they should rightfully take away the fame of Bio-Ware!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You.
i am with you man the new game sucks!!! i understand that the 2nd sucked but o my gosh its horrible, bring revan back!

King Olaf The Old Republican.

The game about an old Icelandic Republican who gets appointed the absolute King of Iceland after a freak election year and the finding of dodgy genealogy documents. The player, playing the puppet ruler of Iceland, must find out the hidden truth behind his appointment while trying to surreptitiously rule his beloved homeland.

It's an adventure/RPG/strategy game of choices and consequences and has a better plot than anything Bioware has ever done.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The quest they showed doesn't look too promising if that's all there is to it, but may be it was just meant to show off the combat. The environments look good, but I don't understand why they chose the cartoony look for the characters, the ones in KOTOR looked much better. Somehow after the gameplay videos my expectations for the game went downhill.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'm really loving the art style. What I've seen of the environments thus far looks very promising. Combat looks great too. The lightsaber impale animation was awesome! The characters look kinda funny while running sideways though (WoW had this look too).

But what's really bothering me is the cheesy dialogue and bad dialogue delivery. To me it looks like it's been getting progressively worse with Bioware games. I thought KoTOR and Jade dialogues were quite good (though I know many disagree), Mass Effect was worse. TOR's dialogues seem to have degraded to Guild Wars levels of mediocrity. What's happening here? I'm pretty sure Bioware knows how to write good dialogue. Do they believe that cheesy lines appeal to a wider audience?

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

Well, to be fair it's hard to judge the quality of the dialog from out of context snippets. But as I said, I found the general effect to be underwhelming. It also seemed to me the NPC's went on and on talking without much involvement from the PC. It appears by "cinematic story telling" Bioware means watching without participating.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"Good" being the important word. Bioware is seriously going to PO the Kotor fans, obviously (already has)......WAIT!!!!! Bioware made ONE SW game! Why are we even giving a crap about Bioware?? I mean, we have dozens of other companies that could make it!

Obsidian (K3 would kill if made by them)

EA

Petroglyph (if you are fine with strategy)

!!!!!

Come on, keep feeding more in here, I got ya started!!!!

"Good" being the important word. Bioware is seriously going to PO the Kotor fans, obviously (already has)......WAIT!!!!! Bioware made ONE SW game! Why are we even giving a crap about Bioware?? I mean, we have dozens of other companies that could make it!

Obsidian (K3 would kill if made by them)

EA

Petroglyph (if you are fine with strategy)

!!!!!

Come on, keep feeding more in here, I got ya started!!!!

Bioware is part of the EA family now.

You guys keep forgetting that it's all a question of what LA wants to do with their IP, not what developers around the world would like to do with it. LA wants maximum return of investment. I think most people guessed a few years ago where it was headed, when Bioware had established a MMO studio in Austin (2006) and a joint domain name featuring Bioware and LucasArts was registered (2007). I don't think they want something that would detract players from paying monthly subscription fees, it wouldn't make sense :)

Maybe after it has established itself and found it's level of activity, spin off games might be considered.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Maybe after it has established itself and found it's level of activity, spin off games might be considered.
You mean after it crashes and burns, and if Bio survives the disaster, they might consider K3.

Haha, the hate is actually entertaining now.

If it crashes and burns, regardless of BioWare's status, I guarantee there will never be a KOTOR 3.

It better not be that way, and I'm betting if TOR is big, then there'll probably be no KotOR III for a long time.

deicideLogo5.jpg

Haha, the hate is actually entertaining now.

If it crashes and burns, regardless of BioWare's status, I guarantee there will never be a KOTOR 3.

It better not be that way, and I'm betting if TOR is big, then there'll probably be no KotOR III for a long time.

If TOR isn't successful, I'd bet a LOT of money that Lucasarts moves on from the entire timeline, guaranteeing that KOTOR 3 will not happen.

If TOR is successful, things are a bit less certain. They might not make KOTOR III to prevent some sort of "competition" with their MMO. They might also make a KOTOR 3 to compliment SWTOR in some way.