Star Wars the Old Republic

True...but the game would have many glitches and crashes.

Maybe, maybe not. You cannot say one way or the other.

Also have you seen the screenshots for the game?

Yes.

The lightsaber handles look bigger than what there hands can hold.

What does that have to do with graphics? Blame the art department.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I wouldnt mind having this new game come out if it were for the consoles too. How many of you think the same? The trailer is breathtaking and very nice...but at the same time tear dropping when its not available for next gen consoles.

It'll likely be ported after its initial success. I give it 3-6 months.

Still, even with a port, not interested...doesn't make up for what's been left behind and really (in my opinion) bad cut from the movies kinda story :lol:

If there's one glimmer of hope in all this its that Obsidian wants to make a KotOR III, after TOR maybe we'll see it...but then again if you look at the logistics of it probably not. Balls in Lucas' court.

Uhhhh what? A PC could handle that level of graphics, so unless you were talking about the game itself I think you're mistaken. :lol:

True...but the game would have many glitches and crashes. Also have you seen the screenshots for the game? The lightsaber handles look bigger than what there hands can hold.

LOL, PCs at this stage are significantly more powerful than the 360 or PS3 graphically.

The large hilts have since been downsized.

LOL, PCs at this stage are significantly more powerful than the 360 or PS3 graphically.

Still...i really dont think that the game can be as good as the trailer graphically. Just another trick of Bio-Ware trying to get more buyers.

All hail Lord Revan!!! The True Dark Lord of the Sith!

Still...i really dont think that the game can be as good as the trailer graphically. Just another trick of Bio-Ware trying to get more buyers.

Duh, of course the game won't look like in the trailer, that was pre-rendered material, not in-game stuff. That is a common way to handle trailers. If the actual game was like that, not many PCs could handle it, neither could any console.

We know what the game looks like, it's not state of the art for a reason. The thing is, they don't want to go for high-end graphics, because it would mean less people could play the game.

Apart from that, when it comes to graphics, any modern PC utterly destroys the consoles.

Unlikely. But you're delusional if you think only BioWare does this. It's a cinematic trailer, and perhaps the type of thing you'll see at the beginning of the game.

Kind of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMGiEYEfdkg

As for the stylized graphics, I support the decision. KOTOR is hardly graphically cutting edge, even when it came out, and KOTOR 2 certainly is not cutting edge. Neither affected my enjoyment of either game though.

If the actual game was like that, not many PCs could handle it, neither could any console

Your kidding right? Next-gen consoles can more than handle high detailed graphics as we have seen in many games like halo 3, call of duty, GTA IV. C'mon man be realistic. Im a gamer that looks for graphics and what this PC game is bringing is absolutly nothing compared to what the consoles can bring. Thats why the consoles were invented to bring gaming to life.

Your kidding right?

No, he is not.

Next-gen consoles can more than handle high detailed graphics...

No, they cannot - their graphics might be better than last generations but they have nothing on PCs.

...as we have seen in many games like halo 3, call of duty, GTA IV.

And, of course, the graphics of the games -excluding Halo 3 due to the fact that it was only on the 360- were better on the PC.

C'mon man be realistic.

He is.

Im a gamer that looks for graphics...

then get a good PC.

...and what this PC game is bringing is absolutly nothing compared to what the consoles can bring.

Nor is it showing what high-end, or even mid-to-low end, PCs can do. It is not trying to be the best looking game out there - it is trying to be the best selling game out there. One that can run on any PC that can run WoW.

Thats why the consoles were invented to bring gaming to life.

False. Just false.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Im sorry but do you and Mr. alan have a thing going on? Cuz damn you guys just love arguing with me together. Its kinda cute :( Anyways my friends just keep bringing it, like i said its fun. :sorcerer:

Im sorry but do you and Mr. alan have a thing going on?

Nope.

Cuz damn you guys just love arguing with me together.

Because you're incorrect on almost every point you try to make.

Anyways my friends just keep bringing it, like i said its fun.

How about you actualy try to refute some points.

-Hurlshot

If the actual game was like that, not many PCs could handle it, neither could any console

Your kidding right? Next-gen consoles can more than handle high detailed graphics as we have seen in many games like halo 3, call of duty, GTA IV. C'mon man be realistic. Im a gamer that looks for graphics and what this PC game is bringing is absolutly nothing compared to what the consoles can bring. Thats why the consoles were invented to bring gaming to life.

That's either pretty trollish, or pretty ignorant.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Hey how about that Star Wars the Old Republic game? Looking good eh?

*HINT HINT*

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I think it looks good. But the looks can be deceiving.

I'm skeptical that it'll be as immersive as they are claiming, but certainly hopeful that it will be. I do think that the gameplay videos shown so far do look promising.

While I won't be playing TOR as I don't go for the whole paid subscriotion deal. It seems to me that having a plot focused MMO seems a contradiction in terms, at least as far the target audiences are concerned. They'll be trying to appeal to two pratically opposed groups of customers, and as such the chance of it falling on its ass is pretty high.

Also, the Star Wars licence probably means that they'll want to position the game as a WoW killer, so the chance of not meeting that goal makes failure even more likely.

It's kind of an all or nothing project, I think. The game either becomes a massive multimillion dollar hit or it barely even gets off the ground.

Will you be working on it, Alan?

Edit: Does the "thing" involve ballroom dancing? :teehee:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

At this time I won't be working on it, as it's made out of the Austin studio.

However, I'm not against the idea of relocating to the Austin studio :)

I agree that making a game that appeals to two very different crowds is very risky. IIRC though, people said that WoW would be too simple to be successful, and that it went against what it means to be an MMO because it made solo play so viable.

I'm willing to keep an open eye on it simply because they ARE trying something different :)

I think it looks good. But the looks can be deceiving.

I'm skeptical that it'll be as immersive as they are claiming, but certainly hopeful that it will be. I do think that the gameplay videos shown so far do look promising.

Are they still making it look cartoony without the textures were used to seeing from KotOR?

Last I heard it still was...the in game content I saw looked like animie lol

The game is using stylized graphics. I don't think it's a bad decision at all.

To be perfectly honest, watching gameplay videos of it pretty much reminded me of KOTOR.

Which textures in particular were you thinking of, from KOTOR?

Edited by alanschu

The game is using stylized graphics. I don't think it's a bad decision at all.

To be perfectly honest, watching gameplay videos of it pretty much reminded me of KOTOR.

Which textures in particular were you thinking of, from KOTOR?

Yeah from the early in-game content trailer at their site, they might've switched it since then and gone in a different direction graphically. Originally it looked very different and terribly noticeable, the sabers battles looked like two cartoon characters fighting each other with oversized lightsabers lol. Sorta akin to the Clone Wars kids movie released last year.

This is the video I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faQ0iPHy1JM

The graphics are stylized, and yeah a bit like Clone Wars. The nice thing about stylized graphics is that they stand the test of time better than "realistic" graphics, because realistic graphics ultimately don't look realistic as graphics progress.

On the other hand, here's the original KOTOR:

kotor-5b.jpg

SWTOR:

croppedruins.jpg

Edited by alanschu

Why do you say that? Just a hunch?

They better deliver on their promises of somehow merging story with an MMO or I agree, they'll be in big trouble.

Like all MMOS other than WoW (and EVE I guess), it will attract some large crowds after release, then slowly be drained of active players after the first months.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

This is the video I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faQ0iPHy1JM

The graphics are stylized, and yeah a bit like Clone Wars. The nice thing about stylized graphics is that they stand the test of time better than "realistic" graphics, because realistic graphics ultimately don't look realistic as graphics progress.

On the other hand, here's the original KOTOR:

kotor-5b.jpg

SWTOR:

croppedruins.jpg

TOR looks like Jedi Academy.