another recipe thread

Walsingham

Since we had some comments in the daily activity thread I thought i'd set another one of these up.

My mum being at death's door means we've been allowed to take her off her special ultra-goody-two-shoes diet. My sister and I both cooked. My favourite has to be the steak I did. It's a heavy adaptation of a recipe I read.

Take a fillet steak and coat it thickly in a mixture of powdered coriander seed, black pepper, and salt. Leave to one side so the coating dries out and seals the surface. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan mix together equal quantities of soy sauce and honey. I used bloody expensive aromatic honey. Warm this through so the honey melts. Add a few barberries (they're very high in vitamin C), bruised and chopped lemon grass, and some crushed garlic. Once the flavours are mixing, pour a little over your steak to help the marinade. Now turn up the heat on the sauce, so it froths and caramelises, and goes a bit burnt. Once it's nice and thick, seive out any lumpy bits of stuff and save as sauce for the steak (or anything else, for that matter). If you're too chicken to eat the steak raw with this sauce then fry it no more than medium rare and eat with gusto.

Would work with a hearty south american red wine or a really cold lager.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Since we had some comments in the daily activity thread I thought i'd set another one of these up.

My mum being at death's door means we've been allowed to take her off her special ultra-goody-two-shoes diet. My sister and I both cooked. My favourite has to be the steak I did. It's a heavy adaptation of a recipe I read.

Take a fillet steak and coat it thickly in a mixture of powdered coriander seed, black pepper, and salt. Leave to one side so the coating dries out and seals the surface. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan mix together equal quantities of soy sauce and honey. I used bloody expensive aromatic honey. Warm this through so the honey melts. Add a few barberries (they're very high in vitamin C), bruised and chopped lemon grass, and some crushed garlic. Once the flavours are mixing, pour a little over your steak to help the marinade. Now turn up the heat on the sauce, so it froths and caramelises, and goes a bit burnt. Once it's nice and thick, seive out any lumpy bits of stuff and save as sauce for the steak (or anything else, for that matter). If you're too chicken to eat the steak raw with this sauce then fry it no more than medium rare and eat with gusto.

Would work with a hearty south american red wine or a really cold lager.

Sounds like that would be a really thick coating of ingrediants packed on to that steak. Does it have a crust or shell around it by the time its done?

It sounds tasty! :p

Heres my recipe for when i want something unhealthy!

I call the pizza place. Order the deluxe with a coke. Then in abut a half hour i get off my ass and open the door and voila the pizza is done. So i then take it out of the box and grab a pre-sliced piece. Put it on a clean dish while reaching in the cupboard for a clean glass realizing they are all in the dish washer.So I drink out of the bottle. Hey Im a bachelor!

Serioulsy though.

Ribs Babyback pork Ribs. With A hand rub of Seasoning Salt, Cinnamon, Chopped Garlic and a dash of Garlic powder ( I love garlic) Then put on your favorite BBQ Sauce if you dont make your own. My Favorite is called Sticky Fingers :p Cold Ribs are so good too! MMMmmm

Other then that I try to keep it healthy. Organic and light with complex carbs and NO POP. :p Im a sadist!

Edited by Theseus

Because you put the sauce on as teh later marinade you don't get a crust. However, you could probably get one by frying the steak in deeper oil, and only adding the sauce afterwards.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing that this recipe might not work so evenly for a ribeye steak or other very fatty cuts, as they would spread out a bit.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Could have sworn there was a recipe thread or something just recently started but I can't find it. Either way I made chicken parmesan that was really really good. In fact with a little tweaking (fresh basil, more resting time for sauce and not eaten right out of the oven) it could have been truly marvelous. I think I'm really starting to get a knack for this.

bump, you little doofus.

Anyhow, I made beef stew with fresh carrots, potatoes, and broccoli. I also sliced up a jalepeno and a red pepper and put it in. I browned the beef a little and then I put in the rest of the stuff. Added water (since it is a stew) and some garlic, some coarse black pepper, and specialty salt I picked up while we were in our southwestern desert tour. I normally use kosher salt, but I decided to try some of this stuff. Trust me, I should have stayed with the Kosher stuff. Anyhow, I stew it all up for a couple of hours and then serve. I'll probably put in a good amount of butter the last 10-20 minutes or so. It should be ready pretty soon here. Smells great already.

The parmesan sauce I made was both quick and ridiculously easy. It's goes a little something like this:

# 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or enough to generously coat your saute pan

# 2/3 medium onion, chopped

# 2-3 garlic cloves, minced

# 2 bay leaves

# 1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves - should be a generous amount it is delicious

# 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes

Coat a saute pan with olive oil and place over medium heat. When the oil gets hazy, add the onions. When the onions have softened add garlic, and bay leaves; cook and stir until aromatic (should be only a brief time you do not want garlic to brown). Add chopped basil and tomatoes (use a wooden stirring device to crudely chop up tomatoes into bite sized pieces), cook and stir until the liquid is cooked down and the sauce is thick, about 15 minutes; season and taste with sugar, salt and pepper. An extremely simple yet delicious sauce and as always with tomato sauces if you can let it sit for even an hour or two you should; overnight is far superior. The only thing I could think of to make it better would be to add Italian sausage and meatballs. Serves 3-4. Anymore than that and you should add another can of tomatoes and increase everything else accordingly.

As for the chicken portion it's quite simple. Butterfly chicken then flour, then egg wash, then seasoned bread crumbs. I like to do this an hour or two before cooking and then letting them chill out in the refrigerator becuase it lets everything come together and it sticks better. Then just put enough canola oil to generously coat your saute pan and fry away on each side for about 2 minutes or until deliciously crisp and brown. Let cool and drain on a slotted rack. When rested lay in baking dish. Ladle sauce over chicken, sprinkle with a relatively light layer of parmesan cheese and then load on a bunch of shredded mozzerella. Slide into oven and broil until cheese has taken on a delicious golden brown hue. Let rest, then consume with brocolli and pasta-roni white shells and cheddar. Also have boxed wine and lit candles. Then have sex with your wife, secretary, girlfriend, girl who works at the meat counter, etc.

The End.

P.S. - pm divx

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Took me a minute to work out where the parmesan came in. Any cheese based batter turns baked chicken into something tasting deep fried, which is good.

I can't think of any new meatless recipes. I posit they're not worth worrying about.

-Elwood Blues

apparently it's my turn to make dinner for the ladies again

supposedly them taking me home with them after a party the other day and making me toasted sandwiches in bed counts as their turn :ermm:

considering one of them is vegetarian and the other is allergic to egg i'm gonna have a ponder over the next couple of days and figure something out

ideas would be great though :)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

supposedly them taking me home with them after a party the other day and making me toasted sandwiches in bed counts as their turn :lol:

considering one of them is vegetarian and the other is allergic to egg i'm gonna have a ponder over the next couple of days and figure something out

ideas would be great though :p

Thai smooth beancurd red curry. Leave out the fish sauce.

-Elwood Blues

A few days ago, I started my introductory weeks at KTH (Royal Institute of Technology) in Stockholm and one particular seminar about fluid mechanics derailed quickly and ended with the professor showing us his favourite recipe for "Pasta arrabiata". So, here goes:

Pasta Arrabiata (4 servings)

3 peeled and thinly sliced cloves of garlic

2 Piri- piri chilis, separated into small crumbs

0,5 dl olive oil

1 onion, chopped into tiny pieces

Put all of these ingredients in a frying pan on low heat until they have caught some color and become softer. Add 0,5 dl white wine and increase heat slightly. Additionally add and boil under a lid for about 10 minutes:

1 can of chopped tomatoes

About half of a tube of tomato pur

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I wonder what that would be like if you left out the tomatoes and roasted some almonds and asparagus in the garlic oil?

-Elwood Blues

supposedly them taking me home with them after a party the other day and making me toasted sandwiches in bed counts as their turn :lol:

ideas would be great though :)

If you have a wok just do a stir-fry. Even if you don't own a wok I suppose a big non-stick skillet could work.

Make your sticky rice ahead of time.

Just chunk up all your fresh veggies... We use bok choy, sweet onion, broccoli, celery, mushrooms, zucchini and garlic halves.

Thin slice a carrot otherwise it takes too long to match the other veggies state of partially doneness.

Heat olive oil in the wok (should be semi-high) lightly brown slivered or halved almonds, then add the veggies. Throw in a handful of bean sprouts, add a can of water chestnuts or bamboo shoots (drained of course) and if you have a favorite sauce you can add to taste right at the end. It doesn't take long because you don't want to fully cook the veggies.

We usually have chicken or pork with this.

Has anyone tried using hazelnuts for cooking? I mean in savouiry dishes. I was thinking I could use them, toasted in a Thai laab.

-Elwood Blues

Has anyone tried using hazelnuts for cooking? I mean in savouiry dishes. I was thinking I could use them, toasted in a Thai laab.

Hmmm.... I haven't tried personally, but I don't see why you couldn't try them in place of other nuts in recipes. My grandmother had a sweet roll recipe she used to use hazelnuts in. Similar to the sticky buns with pecans. I have no idea whatever happened to that recipe.

But your question gives me an idea. We have several wild hazelnuts on our farm. I should go out and pick a few and try them out. :thumbsup:

Keep us posted about the nuts. I was thinking they might work in a lot of things if you could crush into a nut butter type of thing.

-Elwood Blues