Torment 2: City Of Doors

CrazyPea

If you have read my other posts, you'll know I would like to see a sequel to PLANESCAPE: TORMENT. The majority of people are telling me it aint going to happen. Fair enough. They maybe right, they maybe wrong.

But for the fun of it, lets imagine that it was going to happen and we are the designers; what would you love to see in a sequel? What would make you want a sequel? I figure that this the best way to show everyone (from Obsidian to the posters on these forums) that Torment 2 would be a bestselling game.

So here are my ideas:

Title: TORMENT 2: City Of Doors

Settling and locales: The hub of the Game has to be Sigil for me in exactly the same way as Neverwinter is the centre of NWN. In the last game we went to the city of Curst, Carceri and Baator and in NWN2: MOTB went to the shadowplane/Shadowfell, so in T2: COD I would like to see Mount Celestia, the Feywild, the City of Brass and Pandemonium (and of course Sigil).

Returning Characters: I would like to see a return of Morte the Skull and Annah the Tielfling Rogue (and if possible - voiced by Sheena Easton again), both of them possibly searching the p[lanes for the Nameless One now the Blood War is over.

New Characters: Your character (which this time I think you should be able to create ala NWN2), I would like to see a Deva and a Demon, who over the length of the game learn to work together and respect each other (possibly even a twisted love story), I would like to see a Mechanical (not a Modron) Character - such as a Warforged from Eberron. A shifter perhaps?

Plot Once again the Nameless one is the centre of the game, but this time he is the main (unintentional) adversary - His life is an anathema to the planes of existence (like it was suggested to be in the first game), his continued existence could be the the undoing of the multiverse - There are people who would exploit this (or maybe like Kreia in KOTOR2, they want to see the death of the multiverse). The nameless One must finally face True Death.

I think that the potential planescape games should not have numbers but all be different stories with themes like torment, vengeance, redemption etc. and with totally different characters.

Having Torment 2 is like a lame marketing sell-out.

Edited by Purkake

I think that the potential planescape games should not have numbers but all be different stories with themes like torment, vengeance, redemption etc. and with totally different characters.

Fair enough comment, so what would you like the title to be?

What about Planscape: Contentment in which we follow a group of uninteresting characters living a decent life in sigil with absolutely no incidents? No, wait, lets make it a dimension that looks exactly like a small swedish village in the 1950's where people do nothing but bake pies and talk about the weather. And in the end, you think something is going to happen, but it doesnt!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That would depend of what the story was about. How about Planescape: Conviction, delving deeper into the belief stuff and the consensus reality that is Planescape.

Okay, that fits in with 2 NPCs I had in mind - The Deva and the Demon (possibly a succubus now) - each of them are trying to influence the beliefs of the main character. And with the rule of 3, there has to be a neutral NPC trying to convince the character that balance is the best way forward. Any ideas for the neutral Character?

The question would be why?

Howabout the main character is one of those rare individuals that not only does the 'belief defines reality' rule apply, but the main character can actually bend the multiverse to his her command. Perhaps the main character is even a fledglling God/Goddess.

We would have to drop the name PLANESCAPE from the title though (since everyone says it is dead - mind you, the DARK SUN campaign is about to be ressurected in 4th Edition so why not PLANESCAPE).

So for now the title would simply be Conviction, how does that sound?

If you have read my other posts, you'll know I would like to see a sequel to PLANESCAPE: TORMENT. The majority of people are telling me it aint going to happen. Fair enough. They maybe right, they maybe wrong.
I would love to see a PLanescape sequel, but not in this environment, or by any current studios that I know of. :)

There was a fan-made 3d effort going on, but I think it collapsed ~though they did release a gameplay video :)

~Found it... Its a module

*Comes with a website too... www.planescapetrilogy.com

**And a download link...

http://www.roguedao.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1664

Agreed & Agreed. Edited by Gizmo

What about Planscape: Contentment in which we follow a group of uninteresting characters living a decent life in sigil with absolutely no incidents? No, wait, lets make it a dimension that looks exactly like a small swedish village in the 1950's where people do nothing but bake pies and talk about the weather. And in the end, you think something is going to happen, but it doesnt!

No: Because that sounds more like something out of FORGOTTEN REALMS than PLANESCAPE :)

Edited by CrazyPea

Tjorven, B

Edited by Purkake

Tjorven, B

Edited by CrazyPea

Morte and Annah are dead.

Other than that, everything about your idea is loathsomely clich

Edited by Darth InSidious

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Tjorven, B
Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I gave my ideas on the last page.

So if you manage to make the best possible pretend Planescape game, then what?

@Kaftan: Astrid Lindgren's stuff was pretty awesome :)

Like I say, hopefully by the time we've finished we can show the pwoers-that-be that a new PLANESCAPE game is not only do-able but desirable to the mases. If we cant achive that we can go one or two ways with it: the PNP campaign you mentioned or a NWN2 mod - but at least we have something. Go on give optimism a try, you'll be surprised by what we can achieve when we work together.

In the real world people who can actually write stuff make a living out of that. Other people who can't write do things that that they can do well.

If you believe that you can actually write something decent, try a short story or a plot outline or something. Criticizing doesn't require you to be able to do better.

granted that criticizing doesn't mean you have to do any better, but being being negative with out being constructive is pointless. As to whether I am a good/bad/indifferent writer, I'll let you be the judge. Here is my work

Edited by CrazyPea

okay, I've thought of a few NPCs (I know your supposed work on think like plot first, but as I say this mostly for the fun of doing it). These are just thumbnails - and not set in stone - simply quick ideas just to get the old noggin working:

Ravashta: A male Deva trapped in the form on a homunculus. The homunculus takes the form of a winged Imp and found in a wizard