New Game Ideas

Shadowking

What we need is a rock band RPG, in the vein of Beck.

Do quests for corporate magnets, underground DJs and label scouts! Earn money to upgrade your equipment, or seize the chance to get hold of unique custom instruments from famous rockers! Assemble your own band from many NPCs with different skills and personalities, and manage the party as it goes from your mom's garage to the world stage! Featuring a reactive world where citizens and key NPCs respond to your rising fame, you'll have to sneak around to catch paparazzis, avoid groupies, and of course save the world.

What we need is a rock band RPG, in the vein of Beck.

Do quests for corporate magnets, underground DJs and label scouts! Earn money to upgrade your equipment, or seize the chance to get hold of unique custom instruments from famous rockers! Assemble your own band from many NPCs with different skills and personalities, and manage the party as it goes from your mom's garage to the world stage! Featuring a reactive world where citizens and key NPCs respond to your rising fame, you'll have to sneak around to catch paparazzis, avoid groupies, and of course save the world.

That actually sounds like fun! Maybe a Guitar Hero version, with the antagonist being Lou the Devil.

No matter how fast the Light is, upon reaching its destination it will find the Darkness already there, waiting for it.

What I would like to see is Obsidian making a game based on the PnP World of Darkness - Mage: The Awakening.

If it were up to me, it would feature the cinematic and branching story they are trying to make in alpha protocol, but the gameplay would be equal parts combat and problem solving with Mages complex magic system. It would be a third person game, with pause/real time combat and it would be party based (though a small party, like 3 characters at one time, so as not to burden the engine), and hub based.

The magic system in the game would be unique and try to emulate the one in PnP which to summarize it - allows the player to do anything with an aspect of reality (Forces, Matter, Spirit, Death, Life, Mind, Time etc), if the PC has reached a certain level. It would be extremely challenging to implement (as it would enormously affect the game environment) because the possibilities are limitless ... but not wholly impossible.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

• 3 weeks later...
Here's another game I'd like to see made:

You know how in most first-person games, the player is human fighting aliens or monsters? Well, I'd like to see a game where you are an alien or monster and you have to fight both your kin and human soldiers. Like playing one of the other races in Mass Effect or from the Star Wars series, something like that.

Alien vs Predator?

That is something I'd pay money for!

Alien vs Predator?

That is something I'd pay money for!

And you can AvP and AvP2 are out with AvP3 coming next year.

A low-fantasy version of Jagged Alliance 2 using a custom-built ruleset.

The closest you're going to get is Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis, which is super awesome BTW.

As for exisiting settings, I'd still love to see a Deadlands game made. The people who made CoC:Dark Corners of the Earth had the rights to make one, but they went under (and they seemed more in line with making it a shooter, but still)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I posted it in another thread, for whatever reason:

A series of Shadowrun-based RPG/Tactical Strategy games ala Baldur's Gate with a sweet tactical combat engine(pause feature is a must, as is breakable cover) using the leftover Aliens RPG stuff would be super special awesome.

That or a combat-light Call of Cthulhu RPG. It would need some really great writing to bring all the horrors to life and of course the sanity system. Weapons should probably be ineffective and magic a last resort with a huge sanity loss. I still can't imagine how it would all really come together, though.

Edited by Purkake

I'm surprised that the JA:2 model hasn't been copied - it's got so much going on and lends itself to almost any genre. The resource / strategy overlay lends itself to fantasy or sicence fiction as much as it does R/W settings. Another one I thought of (as I was palying Company of Heroes, my New Favourite Game) was a WW2 themed game where you have to build up your SOE / OSS guys and complete missions not unlike Commandoes but using the JA2 model. The composition of small teams using henchmen is interesting and fun - look how much SirTech squeezed out of the NPC-lite mercs in JA2.

Thinking about it, the Total War series uses tactical and strategic overlays, but concentrates on the grand strategy and massive armies. JA2 is it's tactical little brother.

A fantasy one would be extremely good fun - instead of taking the SAM sites you liberate, say, the wizard's tower and unlock the ability to craft items or train NPCs in magic. Perhaps the "Summon Ice Cream Van" spell :shifty:

sonsofgygax.JPG

I would love to see a Lexx crpg. Unfortunately, there is unlikely to be a market for it :wacko:

I'm surprised anybody even knows about Lexx. It was pretty damn obscure.

I only know of it because there was that awesome chart comparing fictional spaceship sizes and everyone wanted to know what a giant **** was doing there.

I'm surprised that the JA:2 model hasn't been copied - it's got so much going on and lends itself to almost any genre. The resource / strategy overlay lends itself to fantasy or sicence fiction as much as it does R/W settings. Another one I thought of (as I was palying Company of Heroes, my New Favourite Game) was a WW2 themed game where you have to build up your SOE / OSS guys and complete missions not unlike Commandoes but using the JA2 model. The composition of small teams using henchmen is interesting and fun - look how much SirTech squeezed out of the NPC-lite mercs in JA2.

Thinking about it, the Total War series uses tactical and strategic overlays, but concentrates on the grand strategy and massive armies. JA2 is it's tactical little brother.

A fantasy one would be extremely good fun - instead of taking the SAM sites you liberate, say, the wizard's tower and unlock the ability to craft items or train NPCs in magic. Perhaps the "Summon Ice Cream Van" spell :shifty:

It's probably a combination of the genre falling into obscurity as "hardcore" and gaming becoming more mainstream and console-oriented. Also, most of the attempts at 3d tactical strategy games have been failures for one reason or another. There is still Silent Storm, mechs be damned.

Edited by Purkake

Sex and violence: The adventure RPG.

Who knows... maybe one of David Cage's future vehicles.

Might be a bit highbrow for the average gamer though.

Sex, Violence, and Monkeys: An eXtreme Adventure RPG

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

For What??? mewantmewantverybadlyavpisawesomewoot!

Let me space that out a little: me want me want very badly avp is awesome woot!

There! :(

Unfortunately you'll have to track down a copy on eBay or Amazon, they're not on any DD service ATM.

You can still get the demo of AvP 2 I think.