Dark Sun Coming to D&D 4th Ed

Jaesun

maybe they will, maybe they wont.

anyway, it mentions coming to 4e, its still the wrong forum, so..... guess I need to go put the dogs out.

anyway the topic needs to be chganged about how to go about one for 4e darksun, as of the moment, thre are no 4e games that I know of for anything..

right doggs outside.

bye

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

There were two really old Dark Sun rpgs by SSI but beyond that nothing has been done in the setting for a long time. Love to see Dark Sun, I think the chief feature of Dark Sun is the extremely high difficulty level.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

• 2 weeks later...

The original setting seemed to me to be a meat grinder for a DM to ring his players out of character ideas (I mean the game recommended having a character bank at start due to heavy loss of PC life).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The original setting seemed to me to be a meat grinder for a DM to ring his players out of character ideas (I mean the game recommended having a character bank at start due to heavy loss of PC life).

I have always hated games that seem to constantly intentionally try to kill off your characters. I shouldn't be constantly worried that all my hard work will come to an end.

It was annoying in the Dark Sun video games but a few hours of attention can net you another character just as good, while in a P&P role playing game it will take you weeks if not months to regain what you have lost.

I do hope that they don't go the same route in the new edition, it can be hard while not seemingly trying to punish the player for playing the game.

Dark Sun is indeed an original and refreshing setting, it feels strange and forbidding and Mad Max-ish. Fallout fans might like it.

Unfortunately, for many, 4E is irrevocably broken and has literally nothing to do with the Dungeons and Dragons game. You can't make filet mignon with a scrap of gristly chuck stake.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I have always hated games that seem to constantly intentionally try to kill off your characters. I shouldn't be constantly worried that all my hard work will come to an end.

It was annoying in the Dark Sun video games but a few hours of attention can net you another character just as good, while in a P&P role playing game it will take you weeks if not months to regain what you have lost.

I do hope that they don't go the same route in the new edition, it can be hard while not seemingly trying to punish the player for playing the game.

That's how I felt about the Dark Sun setting.

I mean I'm prone enough to dying as is, I don't need that much help from the setting. :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 1 month later...

Tsk.. I liked Dark Sun.. The whole approach of "adventuring is dangerous, really, reallly dangerous" was a nice approach from the usual run of "oh, we went down the temple and got a raise dead" style that tended to come about in Forgotten Realms and the standard fantasy settings..

That and the whole "if a player can play a mage for 3 sessions without any of the other players realising he's a horrid arcane spell user.. then he's playing his character right" :lol:

So... on the one hand Dark Sun = Good.

On the other.. D&D 4th Ed = complete naffness (well, apart from the art. It's got super-shiney art).

If only they'd brought Dark Sun back for 3.5.. <sigh> Although then it would have battled Eberron....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 1 month later...
Dark Sun was a good setting, unique at that.

I think I'd prefer a 3.5 version to a 4E version though. :lol:

Dark Sun was my favorite official setting for D&D back in 2E AD&D days. It is an awesome setting, but as far as I am concerned and as an avid PnP fan, 4E is probably irredeemable at this stage - not even Dark Sun could get me to convert at this stage.