New Mass Effect 2 character

Purkake

So apparently Bioware unveiled a new character from ME2. Here's the article:

BioWare wasn’t keen on releasing any details on the newest alien character, which debuted as an assassin, at E3, however, now, that has changed because it’s “Meet Thane” day over at the official Mass Effect 2 website. And you won’t believe who’s the star of the event.

“We’re going to surpass the extraordinary gaming experience we brought our fans in Mass Effect by delivering intensified combat and expanded weapon options as well as increased depth of planet exploration, all while delivering a powerful, emotionally engaging story,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, General Manager and CEO, BioWare and General Manager and Vice President, EA when announcing the game. “Mass Effect 2 is shaping up to be an unforgettable RPG-shooter experience, taking players on a non-stop roller-coaster ride filled with stunning plot twists and no-holds-barred action.”

Looks pretty ugly if you ask me:

masseffect2_screenshot_09_1280x720.jpg

On a somewhat related note, do we have an official-ish ME2 thread?

Edited by Purkake

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

She's ugly alright, but that's good. She is some sort of lizard, right?

I don't think she deserves her own thread, though.

edit: are those gills? Fish-person?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

She's ugly alright, but that's good. She is some sort of lizard, right?

I don't think she deserves her own thread, though.

How is her being an ugly lizard better than just being ugly? You can't even have sex with her if she's a lizard, right? :p

I didn't find a ME2 thread, so this is the temporary official ME2 thread

Edited by Purkake

How is her being an ugly lizard better than just being ugly?
How is it worse? She (?) is an alien. I just don't like when they take human beauty canons and build alien/fantastic chracters around them. That's just my opinion, though.

You can't even have sex with her if she's a lizard, right? :p
Are you sure you want to ask that?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

How is her being an ugly lizard better than just being ugly?
How is it worse? She (?) is an alien. I just don't like when they take human beauty canons and build alien/fantastic chracters around them. That's just my opinion, though.

You can't even have sex with her if she's a lizard, right? :p
Are you sure you want to ask that?

Why not go all the way and make a weird plant creature or something? A human lizard is no better than a human alien.

Not sure at all. A fish person would be somewhat funnier, though.

Thane is male. :)

Given as Purkake has made the OFFICIAL Mass Effect 2 thread, I'll try to post what we know.

1. Shepard restarts at the beginning ME 2. Developers claim that this is because of their all new powers, but I suspect it's because they let you get to level 60 in ME1.

2. You can play after the game finishes, if you survive.

3. There are multiple endings that depend on what actions you take in the game and how loyal certain people/groups are to you. There are 'winning' endings and there are 'oh f-ck' endings where you get yourself and everyone with you killed.

4. Liara is in.

It does look kinda maleish now...

What's up with adding new races, though? Are they some super secret race that lives on a secret planet where every man women and child is an assassin?

The drell are prominent in the Termanus. A large part of the game takes place in the Termanus Systems. (You may remember that the Council in ME1 didn't want to send warships to that area as it would provoke hostilities) While Citadel space is controlled by the Council, the Termanus is like the 'wild-west' in that there are dozens of competing powers, no centralized government, and far more crime and corruption.

I'd point out though that a conceit of the original game is that Citadel Space had a hundred or so intelligent species, you just never saw them.

The other new species is the Vorcha. They seem to be a great deal like the Krogan, only short lived and without the pesky genophage.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Oh,oh, let me guess: He/she is reptilian since they don't show facial emotions like other mammals, right? Perfect for an assassin, right? You know, that ice-cold stare no matter the situation or moral implication?

Ergo, Lizardmen do not show emotions, therefore they look like "cool" assassins. Also, i bet that the player can make the assassin to "feel" or even feel regret to better herself/himself.

I hope that i am wrong, i really do.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

- mild spoilers.

- mild spoilers.

- You can now shoot off enemy limbs and do extra damage headshots.

They seem to be fluffing the Renegade side. When she asks you if you're going to stop the assassin, your only options are 'why?' and 'no.' You can't just say 'Yes, I'm going to stop the assassin.' Likewise, there are now sudden events in the game where you can show how bad ass you as by kicking people off buildings.

Oh,oh, let me guess: He/she is reptilian since they don't show facial emotions like other mammals, right? Perfect for an assassin, right? You know, that ice-cold stare no matter the situation or moral implication?

Ergo, Lizardmen do not show emotions, therefore they look like "cool" assassins. Also, i bet that the player can make the assassin to "feel" or even feel regret to better herself/himself.

I hope that i am wrong, i really do.

If you mean

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Why is it so hard to do a non-humanoid character? They managed to get Dog into DA, why not some totally weird telepathic hive-mind swarm or an amorphous blob that loves eating the Geth?

We have gone from awesome companion design like a miniature planet to Star Trek-style forehead-of-the-week aliens.

Thanks for the info, Maria. I shall now dub this thread the Official Mass Effect 2 thread of freaky fish people.

EDIT: Ugh, the Shepherd if the video is way to suave and cheesy. He's like John Crichton(from Farscape) mixed with James Bond. Femshep FTW!

Edited by Purkake

Why is it so hard to do a non-humanoid character? They managed to get Dog into DA, why not some totally weird telepathic hive-mind swarm that loves eating the Geth?

So you want a geth eating Rachni?

Sure! The cinematic style they're going for apparently calls for every character to have a human-ish face. The reason why most sci-fi movies have humanoid aliens was because you had to have human play them. How ironic that when we finally get past that limitation, they still cling to the tradition instead of innovating.

Looks like the combat hast improved much. The dismemberment is nice, but I hate the slow cover based fighting.

Edited by Purkake

Whenever I see a Mass Effect preview, I have to remind myself that Jennifer Hale will be speaking these lines in my playthrough, and she can make anything sound good.

She actually makes an effort to sound like someone in command, not some wisecracking jackass.

Guest Slinky

I agree that Mark Meer's performance is not exactly Oscar-winning, but I'm starting to get an overdose of Jennifer Hale. She has been in every Bio game I have played, and she has been in a zillion other games. Just look at the list !

Edited by Slinky

Whenever I see a Mass Effect preview, I have to remind myself that Jennifer Hale will be speaking these lines in my playthrough, and she can make anything sound good.

I actually felt ME was her weakest performance, normally I think she is great, but there were times where I felt she was trying too hard in ME.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif