Whale wars.

Gorgon

I've been watching this documentary series on the Sea Shepard organisation, run by ex Greenpeace member Paul Watson, he was one of the original founders who got the boot when Greenpeace got too media savey and organic for its own good.

They track down the Japanese whaling fleet off the south pole and throw stink bombs onto the decks to foul the whale meat and make life miserable for the crews. Now, it seems obvious that the Japanese are exploiting a hole in an international treaty which allows for whaling for 'scientific' purposes. If this were really the main concern their quota would be a handful, not between 1000 and 2000 whales. They are supporting a domestic market.

The adventures of the Sea Shepard (media links) is shot reality TV style even with faux drama among the crew and a dramatic high point, sometimes snatched out of thin air, to fit in with the long commercial break. No attempt is made to present the opposing view, I'm sure there must be one.

A recurring phrase is how the crew are 'prepared to die' to stop the whalers. It seems to me that it would be entirely possible to carry out this kind of activism without anyone having to worry about dying.

I basically think they are people who are in love with whales, and I'm sure they won't disagree with that assessment themselves, but there is a problem here: where are the cow activists, where is the movement for the liberation of pigs.

Not every animal is as cute as a dolphin, or as majestic as a whale. This whole movement is carried on the notion of certain 'star quality' animals that capture the public's imagination.

Your thoughts...

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I basically think they are people who are in love with whales, and I'm sure they won't disagree with that assessment themselves, but there is a problem here: where are the cow activists, where is the movement for the liberation of pigs.

Not every animal is as cute as a dolphin, or as majestic as a whale. This whole movement is carried on the notion of certain 'star quality' animals that capture the public's imagination.

Your thoughts...

I agree that not all animals are treated equally but in the case of whales, I think its because several species of whale have been driven to the brink of extinction. Cows and pigs dont have that problem.

I agree with Gfted on the extinction issue. My wife spent a year in Japan and she said the whale meat is so ridiculously expensive that only the very wealthy buy it.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it, I see both sides having some legitimate concerns.

Some species have made a comeback though. The numbers are contested on others. In any case qotas should be handled carefully.

I support the Sea Shepard's right to carry out this kind of activism given that the Japanese Whalers have a very flimsy legal foundation themselves, but I think killing dolphins for no other reason than to eliminate a predator going after the same species of fish as the commerical fishing fleets is much much worse.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

The Sea Shepards come off as a bunch of buffoons in the show. Its amazing none of them have died yet. And they are probably doing more damage to the environment then they are preventing, trucking around in that old wreck of a boat and tossing their "non-toxic" chemicals into the ocean.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

'Profit' comes under many titles. Scientific research is just one of them. I'm with Gorgon on this one, at least where the whales and dolphins are concerned. Reminds me of a few years back when seals were being shot just because they were eating too many salmon, supposedly hurting the commercial fishing industry.

This thread has done nothing for my desire to watch my first episode of this show. Not that it was very high to begin with.

I'm beginning to think I should start breeding chickens & pigs in the backyard for my meat.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This thread has done nothing for my desire to watch my first episode of this show. Not that it was very high to begin with.

No no, really, it's one of the best comedies on TV atm.

Like a couple weeks ago when the Sea Shepherds attempted to use their super-expensive prop-fouler on one of the Japanese harpoon boats and they missed with it (they ALWAYS miss with the prop fouler), but when they went around to get it back so they could try again, they found the Japense were already fishing it out of the ocean and then took off with it, leaving the Sea Shepherds all crying and sad that their prop fouler was stolen. ANd then they became afraid that the Japense were going to use the prop fouler on them and started driving their boat around in circles as fast as they could so they wouldn't get prop fouled.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If they were clever, they would develop a sonar-like acoustic to pound the ocean and drive the whales from the area. Sound travels much better in water and it wouldnt even have to be that powerful or close, just enough to annoy the whales.

No the Japenese whalers have that. LRAD. Used for crowd control and what not. Supposedly they used it on the Sea Shepherds in one episde though. It was hard to tell if they really did though or if the Sea SHephers were making the claim.

Like a couple weeks ago when the Sea Shepherds attempted to use their super-expensive prop-fouler on one of the Japanese harpoon boats and they missed with it (they ALWAYS miss with the prop fouler), but when they went around to get it back so they could try again, they found the Japense were already fishing it out of the ocean and then took off with it, leaving the Sea Shepherds all crying and sad that their prop fouler was stolen. ANd then they became afraid that the Japense were going to use the prop fouler on them and started driving their boat around in circles as fast as they could so they wouldn't get prop fouled.

Hmm...unintentional comedy?

Maybe I'll give it a shot. I think cable has some on-demand episodes.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If they were clever, they would develop a sonar-like acoustic to pound the ocean and drive the whales from the area. Sound travels much better in water and it wouldnt even have to be that powerful or close, just enough to annoy the whales.

No the Japenese whalers have that. LRAD. Used for crowd control and what not. Supposedly they used it on the Sea Shepherds in one episde though. It was hard to tell if they really did though or if the Sea SHephers were making the claim.

I meant the Sea Sheperds should use an underwater version to drive away the whales. What you're referring to is used in open air and the Japanese are using it to drive the Sea Shepherds away.

Your thoughts...

Same as yours.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I meant the Sea Sheperds should use an underwater version to drive away the whales. What you're referring to is used in open air and the Japanese are using it to drive the Sea Shepherds away.

Yeah, I know. I was just making run of the Sea Shepherds and their claims.

I don't think anyone has actually officially identified the LRAD "devices" on the Japanse ships yet. Other than the Sea Shepherds. I haven;t seen the last couple episodes though.

The sounds the "LRAD" made on the one episode it was "used" sounded completely dubbed in.

Hmm...unintentional comedy?

Maybe I'll give it a shot. I think cable has some on-demand episodes.

Tragic comedy. Last season they tried to launch one of their zodiacs and it flipped over dumping some of their crew in the antarctic water.

Their incompetence is both amusing and horrifying at the same time.

These people have inspired me. I'm going to go out in a boat and stop those japanese whale hunters.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I've seen another episode since. They are getting their arses handed to them by the Japanese whalers who have the LRAD countermeasures, although they don't seem to do much, limited range perhaps. Their port authority, Holland, made them stop throwing missiles off the deck of the Steve Erwin, that's their ship, and throwing bottles from a dingie in rough seas with the target deck protected by netting, it just isn't possible. Instead they have been chased by the fast spotter ships while the rest of the whaling fleet goes about their business.

Bit of an unfair match. Whale nuisance more than whale wars.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

They should go to Somalia and take shipjacking classes from the pirates there, those guys know their sheeeet.

somali_pirates.jpg

We're eating Japanese tonight, boys.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "