The Only Funny Thing to have come out of XKCD

lord of flies

This thread.

Oh my god, this thread.

The tip of the ice-berg:

Omg! I'm going through this issue right now! She's an amazing girl, and I realized about a week ago that after knowing her for almost a year I've fallen in love with her. But I have those exact same feelings as the guy in the comic. She just recently broke up with her boyfriend and I know this is probably my only chance, but if she doesn't like me the way I love her, I don't know if I'd be able to go on, knowing I f'd the chance to at least stay friends. So I'm doing everything I can just to stay close friends with her. It hurts so much. I don't fall in love easily, I've had thousands of crushes, but only three girls (her being the third) have ever made it to the love stage. I'm in love with her in every sense of the word. She's a beautiful girl with shoulder length dark blonde hair and the most beautiful hazel eyes you could ever look into. She's not huge in the chest area, but what she has is just right for her body. And her personality, OMG!!! She's sweet, and kind, and caring, and funny, and even a little dirty. I'll never forget one day we were standing there and she had her phone in her back pocket, all of sudden it started vibrating and she goes, "Ohh, I'm vibrating," and after checking the message she looks at me and kind of winks saying, "But I don't need a vibrator, I've got a boyfriend." Granted I'm sure she's as innocent as the day is long, but it's the naughtyness behind it that's what makes it so appealing. I'd litterally do anything for this girl, and while she thinks of me as a good friend, I know she doesn't think of me the way I think of her. Her birthday is coming up soon. I'm planning on getter her a card, a gift card to Dunkin, (she's in love with Dunkin and probably does run on it

...and for the ill-leet-erates among us, what does tl;dr mean?

and do I really want to know? :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Nice read. I even learned something today :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Come on, it's a grand old time. There's one in here somewhere wherein the girl starts crying and the guy thinks "this is my chance" (THIS IS LITERALLY WHAT HAPPENS, AS IT IS DESCRIBED BY THE GUY).
I have no interest whatsoever in reading through the comments made by anon in a different website. I saw the comic. What is it you want to discuss?

I'm bumping this the next time one of you starts a 'Women are insane' thread.
You should do that, more awareness of this is needed. Women are insane, and they can make perfectly healthy heterosexual men to doubt themselves to the point they're willing to become useless wimps if that offers them the chance to "get some". Ever wonder why gay men are so happy?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

XKCD actually has about 3 funny strips, the rest (although technicly funny) are completely negated by how retarded/obnoxious his fans are.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

XKCD actually has about 3 funny strips, the rest (although technicly funny) are completely negated by how retarded/obnoxious his fans are.

You've said this before, and I just think it's plain stupid; nobody is forcing you to go and interact with his fans after you've read each strip.

Also, I'm not seeing it - the 'obnoxiousness' or 'retardedness'. Quite a mass generalisation.

Thats because you havent been subjected to the fans like I have in real life.

-Hey!

-Oh no, not that dumbf*ck again.

-What did you say?

-Nothing.

-Oh, ok. Anyways, I found this great new webcomic called XKCD and its the best ever. Every strip is really intelligent and he makes jokes about technical stuff that only smart and special people like me can understand. Im going to write about it on my blog.

-Yeah, Ive read it.

-You have?! Thats awesome, I feel like really connected to you right now. We should hang out more and repeat programming jokes from XKCD.

-I bet you like CTRL-ALT-DEL too, dont you?

-Totally! How did you know?! They make jokes about games, which only special people like me who play games can understand.

-Just a hunch, Im going to go wash my hair now. Ill be gone for about six months.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I've never come into contact with any xkcd fans, so his strips remain mildly entertaining.

That said, since I consider most webcomics 'mildly entertaining' (i.e. good time killer), I don't consider seeking out webcomic fans a fruitful endeavour.

Personally, I find it's the obscure maths/physics 'jokes' that no-one else gets that annoy me. Making your self laugh through smug references to your own field is not particularly clever.

So didja see that episode of Stargate where they talked about this predynastic papyrus? ROFLMAO

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Thats because you havent been subjected to the fans like I have in real life.

-Hey!

-Oh no, not that dumbf*ck again.

-What did you say?

-Nothing.

-Oh, ok. Anyways, I found this great new webcomic called XKCD and its the best ever. Every strip is really intelligent and he makes jokes about technical stuff that only smart and special people like me can understand. Im going to write about it on my blog.

-Yeah, Ive read it.

-You have?! Thats awesome, I feel like really connected to you right now. We should hang out more and repeat programming jokes from XKCD.

-I bet you like CTRL-ALT-DEL too, dont you?

-Totally! How did you know?! They make jokes about games, which only special people like me who play games can understand.

-Just a hunch, Im going to go wash my hair now. Ill be gone for about six months.

Because you always run into those annoying webcomic fans in real life. Oh wait!

If random strangers run up to you to talk about webcomics then you must be doing something wrong.

If random strangers run up to you to talk about webcomics then you must be doing something wrong.

He's not a stranger, he's a graduate.

I'm a little surprised at the negativity over a webcomic. I respect anyone who does one, even if it isn't my cup of tea. It takes work and the odds of finding success doing them are seriously minuscule.

That being said, I didn't even notice xkcd had a community. He rarely updates his news page.

Come on, it's a grand old time. There's one in here somewhere wherein the girl starts crying and the guy thinks "this is my chance" (THIS IS LITERALLY WHAT HAPPENS, AS IT IS DESCRIBED BY THE GUY).
I have no interest whatsoever in reading through the comments made by anon in a different website. I saw the comic. What is it you want to discuss?
I want to discuss horribly nerdy people, posting poorly on the internet.
I'm bumping this the next time one of you starts a 'Women are insane' thread.
You should do that, more awareness of this is needed. Women are insane, and they can make perfectly healthy heterosexual men to doubt themselves to the point they're willing to become useless wimps if that offers them the chance to "get some". Ever wonder why gay men are so happy?
Ah yes, sexism. And some, what's the term... idealization of the Other? What a well-put together post, representing everything wrong with the capitalist system of systematic oppression. Obviously, gay men are so happy all the time. Just like house slaves, right?

Here, let's get BACK ON TOPIC:

Good point that I don't think anyone else has raised. And now that you mention it, a girl like that is at least as much a bitch as either of the two guys is a jerk. She's basically indirectly abusing the "soft" jerk by sharing very personal things with him - which is either gonna cause him to care for her, or call her a neurotic, hopeless bitch and run the **** away - and indirectly abusing the "hard" jerk by not sharing said personal things with him (particularly any problems she has with him!) and thus preventing any sort of meaningful relationship to form, regardless of why they got together in the first place.

That bitch. When you tell people personal things, you are ABUSING THEM. Unless, presumably, you have sex with them afterwards.