What are you playing now

Gorth

I ordered Baldur's Gate off Amazon so I look forward to playing that in a couple days. It comes with Tales of the Sword Coast, which I never played, so I'm interested in seeing that.

I ended up missing all the TotSC stuff when I played a couple weeks ago. Supposedly Durlag's Tower is a huge pain in the ass, but also the best dungeon in the series. I ended up running away when I got my butt handed to me by the battle horrors outside the tower. :p

Watchers Keep is better, much better.

I didn't like Watchers Keep. Too boring.

Durlag's Tower was the best part of the original BG. I'm not really into puzzles and riddles but the developers did a fine job with Durlags.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Whenever I try to replay one of the BG games (my last serious run was about 5 years ago), I am reminded of how much my tolerance for grindy combat has declined over the years. I can't imagine putting the time in to get through the portions of BG1 that precede your arrival at the title city.

Edit: I'm still playing Bloodlines, although I haven't booted it up in a couple of days. My Tremere is currently exporing the Hollywood hub, acquiring sidequests and such.

Hight five! Tremere are awesome!

Bloodboil FTW.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

yeah I tried playing through BG 1 again to relive the old days.

no dice. That **** was retarded hard. I play fallout 1 and 2, and planescape torment all the time and have no problems, but BG? that's just waayy too much challenging combat and not enough character for my tastes nowadays.

I loved that game when I was a kid though. It was one of the first rpg's i ever played. That and fallout 1, I think I played them when I was a freshman in high school. good times. good times.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

My cousin bought Infamous today so I've been playing that all evening. Excellent game so far, with lots and lots to see and do. It's fun to just scramble around, trying to find blast shards and dead drops. The side quests have all been varied and the main story seems interesting enough. We didn't get very far and the only "power" we managed to level up was the one that makes you take less damage from enemies. We desperately needed it!

Fun game, definitely worth the price.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hight five! Tremere are awesome!

Bloodboil FTW.

Akkurrrszed Tremere warlokksz! Your ..magikksz shall be quenched by the Koldun, your Gargoylez fed to the Vozhd, your servants impaled by the Szlachta, your bodiez broken and twisted by my powersz, and your pathetic houses destroyed for the atrocitiez you komitted againszt klan Tzimisce!

no dice. That **** was retarded hard. I play fallout 1 and 2, and planescape torment all the time and have no problems, but BG? that's just waayy too much challenging combat and not enough character for my tastes nowadays.

I loved that game when I was a kid though. It was one of the first rpg's i ever played. That and fallout 1, I think I played them when I was a freshman in high school. good times. good times.

You just need to give everyone a ranged weapon. Ranged combat in BG1 is godlike. Slow walking speed + low hit points + extra attacks per round = lots of dead enemies. When looking at spells, unless you are attacking really high level enemies, don't even bother with direct damage spells. Disablers like Horror are amazing.

Heck, when all else fails, you can always run away. There are very few things that actually run faster than you and once you get the Boots of Speed you can run one character into sight range of the enemies and then kite them around while the rest of your group fills them full of arrows.

Finally, wands. Wands of sleep, wands of paralyzation and wands of monster summoning. These are your friends. Sleep for the mooks, paralyzation for the big bads and monster summoning for your meat shields. :)

BG1 is tough, but it's not impossible. Unless you are playing a mage with 3 con on Insane. Then it actually is impossible. That 1 damage flame arrow at the start does two damage and a 3 con mage only has 2 HP.

^ Never solo'd BG1 or BG2, but completed both (vanilla, mind you, no mods) with only a PC Ftr/Thf and Imoen in my party. Never did that with ToB.

In BG1 missile weapons were sick. Completely broken. Not that I minded, as I usually took Coran along (Broken DEX, broken weapon profs in longbow), he was basically a machinegun.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

you know thats so funny cause when I was a kid and I beat the game I used that archer guy in my party too, and he did about 90% of my total damage output. magic bow + magic arrows did HUGE damage

lol now I just want to start a new game with all rangers and see what happens.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I remember taking out Drizzt by summoning an army of monsters to keep him busy, then letting everyone pelt him with arrows. The lad was impossible in melee (for me).

Very nice to wipe out R.A. Salvatore's literary abominations in a game. Highlight in the game for me.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

You just need to give everyone a ranged weapon. Ranged combat in BG1 is godlike. Slow walking speed + low hit points + extra attacks per round = lots of dead enemies. When looking at spells, unless you are attacking really high level enemies, don't even bother with direct damage spells. Disablers like Horror are amazing.

Heck, when all else fails, you can always run away. There are very few things that actually run faster than you and once you get the Boots of Speed you can run one character into sight range of the enemies and then kite them around while the rest of your group fills them full of arrows.

Finally, wands. Wands of sleep, wands of paralyzation and wands of monster summoning. These are your friends. Sleep for the mooks, paralyzation for the big bads and monster summoning for your meat shields. >_<

BG1 is tough, but it's not impossible. Unless you are playing a mage with 3 con on Insane. Then it actually is impossible. That 1 damage flame arrow at the start does two damage and a 3 con mage only has 2 HP.

I haven't played this in about 3 years. I actually played BG2 first, and when I finally played 1 it was so dang hard! But it has a certain appeal to it. Never got any further than entering Baldurs Gate though. One of the toughest enemies I ran into were those miserable succubuses.

As for boots of speed, I had to use gatekeeper... I think that's what it is called, it's been so long. Otherwise isn't there like only one or two pairs in the game?

Right now I'm playing NWN2. No eps for it yet. Heck this was just given to me a year ago. Only trouble is, I think I accidentally selected the wrong voice for my barbarian. Big brute of a guy with a sissy voice. I'm so disappointed in that. Almost makes me not want to play but it's too late to change it now.

Also I play Sims 2!! Yippeeee!!! I love it. I have every single ep for that. Maybe I'll share some screenshots with you all if any are interested.

I don't know. Durlag's Tower had the better story which was delivered effectively throughout the dungeon, whereas WK's was hardly interesting until the final dilemma. DT also really really had you on tenterhooks watching out for traps, and made you really scared to touch anything, which is virtually unique in all IE game levels. Finally, DT had the chessboard fight. :D

Hand of the Seldarine/Severed Hand beats all other towers >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I haven't played this in about 3 years. I actually played BG2 first, and when I finally played 1 it was so dang hard! But it has a certain appeal to it. Never got any further than entering Baldurs Gate though. One of the toughest enemies I ran into were those miserable succubuses.

As for boots of speed, I had to use gatekeeper... I think that's what it is called, it's been so long. Otherwise isn't there like only one or two pairs in the game?

Right now I'm playing NWN2. No eps for it yet. Heck this was just given to me a year ago. Only trouble is, I think I accidentally selected the wrong voice for my barbarian. Big brute of a guy with a sissy voice. I'm so disappointed in that. Almost makes me not want to play but it's too late to change it now.

Also I play Sims 2!! Yippeeee!!! I love it. I have every single ep for that. Maybe I'll share some screenshots with you all if any are interested.

Charm spells are absolutely horrible in BG1 because there isn't much that you can use to counter them that I can recall. In vanilla BG1 there is a single Helmet of Charm Protection and with TotSC you get the Greenstone Amulet, but that's it. That only covers two characters, which should be enough for your big fighters, but sometimes you get unlucky and they target someone who isn't immune and the only way around it is dispel magic which tends to remove all of your buffs as well. As a bonus, if they do manage to get someone other than the big fighters, it's almost always the only character that has dispel magic anyway. >_<

There is only one pair of Boots of Speed in BG1 and they are found about half way through the game at the Cloakwood mines. Doesn't do much for running away, but it gives you a great distraction character against melee opponents who will never be able to catch him unless hasted, but you can double boost with haste or oils of speed yourself.

You can change the voice if you really want to, but it looks like it takes some work editing some of the files. NWN2 forum topic

Edited by Deraldin

Charm spells are absolutely horrible in BG1 because there isn't much that you can use to counter them that I can recall. In vanilla BG1 there is a single Helmet of Charm Protection and with TotSC you get the Greenstone Amulet, but that's it. That only covers two characters, which should be enough for your big fighters, but sometimes you get unlucky and they target someone who isn't immune and the only way around it is dispel magic which tends to remove all of your buffs as well. As a bonus, if they do manage to get someone other than the big fighters, it's almost always the only character that has dispel magic anyway. >_<

There is only one pair of Boots of Speed in BG1 and they are found about half way through the game at the Cloakwood mines. Doesn't do much for running away, but it gives you a great distraction character against melee opponents who will never be able to catch him unless hasted, but you can double boost with haste or oils of speed yourself.

You can change the voice if you really want to, but it looks like it takes some work editing some of the files. NWN2 forum topic

Hey thanks Deraldin, I didn't think it was possible to change the voice. Actually, it doesn't look difficult at all. :p

Hand of the Seldarine/Severed Hand beats all other towers

It had the best quests, but the fights were disappointing, IMO - especially with the juggernaut party you inevitably end up with by that point in IWD2. I see it more like a mini 'city' really.

BG1 had a lot of 'use-in-all-situations' cheese, I actually have all six characters running around with ranged weapons by default - then only the couple of tanks need switch to melee. It gets a lot more interesting with SCS mod where mages actually use Protection against Normal Missiles a lot more. Running around in circles always works because of this odd design decision throughout the BGs where enemies rarely, if ever, got to be faster than you, but it's not that fun after a while.

Having played BG2 before BG1 though, it was just great fun to have spells like Charm, Sleep and Web actually work. Sort of like that cathartic experience in the Oasis.... Spell Sequencer (Fire Shield, Stoneskin, Mirror Image), Improved Alacrity, Greater Malison, then unload every insta-death spell known to D&D. :rolleyes: Ironically, the Oasis battle really lets you play Irenicus (as you see him in SOA cutscenes), which makes a lot of roleplaying sense...

I meant in IWD. I had forgotten that it also featured in IWD2 :rolleyes:

Edit: Didn't really mean from combat only perspective, just the experience of exploration.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Having played BG2 before BG1 though, it was just great fun to have spells like Charm, Sleep and Web actually work. Sort of like that cathartic experience in the Oasis.... Spell Sequencer (Fire Shield, Stoneskin, Mirror Image), Improved Alacrity, Greater Malison, then unload every insta-death spell known to D&D. :ermm: Ironically, the Oasis battle really lets you play Irenicus (as you see him in SOA cutscenes), which makes a lot of roleplaying sense...

Web worked almost too well in BG1, especially when combined with the lethality of ranged combat. Not to mention the number of times that those damned invisible web traps in the cloakwood got me. :rolleyes:

Fallout 3. I am discovering the awesomeness of the Experimental MIRV.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

beat Condemned 2 and Call of Duty: World at War.

World at war was actually pretty good, but I think that it could have used with some different level design. Slightly more streamlined and that they didn't give you deployable MG's every level after the halfway point.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

My ranger just hit level 13 after the first quest in Ust Natha so I've switched over to Cleric and managed to grab a few extra levels by sending Minsc into the fighting rings in the taverns. Next stop will be the Beholder city with a certain shield and a slightly insane ranger in order to pick up some more experience. It's going to take some time before I get my ranger abilities back. One tank will have to do until then.

Finished Portal. Wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Its a nice distraction, nice level design but too short (around 3 hours of playtime I think) and no replay value. And a bit too easy after cracking my skull on Braid.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life