Awesome/interesting games no one has heard of

Purkake

Dark Reign

Possibly the most intelligent RTS ever built, featuring programmable unit AI and complex waypoint system. Buried by Total Annihilation or Starcraft or whichever mega popular RTS came out at the time

screen1.jpg

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Thanks for mentioning Nexus. Now I'm trying it and its fun, I think I'm going to play a lot more Space sims from now on.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Oh come on, these were all successful games dammit not some obscure gems. <_<

Sorry, I'm running out of obscure Windows games. I'll dig through some DOS games later.

A lot of people probably don't know them, or at least haven't played them. If you keep mentioning something then people might recognize it somewhere and play it then.

this is a great thread, I for one think its ok to have a few games that are good, maybe SOMEWHAT known, but generally forgotten too.

Like dungeon keeper or something. (yeah most of us know it, but it's rarely talked about by the "big press")

that game was stellar.

keep posting suggestions!! I'm making a list of old stuff to track down!

oh yeah and septerra core was awesome, but got REALLY monotonous after the first 15-20 hours or so. I never finished it.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

now i just want to play it again. (but I KNOW i'll stop after just a few hours, so I'll probably just check out the ending like you suggest! :)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Flight of the Amazon Queen:amazon-queen.png

Cool adventure game in which you play as a pilot that has to transport a stuck-up movie star back to America, but you crash above the Amazon after which things start to get... messy. Gameplay very similar to Fate of Atlantis & story that is incredibly goofy and basically a collection of various '50s B-movies.

The game is freeware, I believe, and readily available for download on the appropriate websites.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I made a thread about it already, but Freedom Force (And Freedom Force vs The Third Reich). It's basically a superhero RPG, but I really love the way you interact with the environment throwing cars/billboards/picnic tables, whacking people with lamp posts and using buildings for cover. The story is keeping it true to the early superhero comics complete with an awesome narrator.

173710.jpeg

Edited by Purkake

This thread brings back so many memories and makes me nostalgic. Hard to believe Starcraft was 11 years ago, Warcraft 2 even more so and I been playing games for so long. I would nominate Netstorm a multiplayer puzzle like RTS that was far ahead of its time and Heavy Gear 2, one of my favourite games of all time. Those of you who remember Heavy Gear 1 might remember it was total crap they did a heck'uv of a job on the sequel, integrating first person shooting, traditional mech warrior customization, and overhead tactical map for squad combat. It was one of the first games I remember where the AI wasn't garbage and the single player campaign was very memorable.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive - A Commandos-style strategy game, that pretty much improves every aspect of it. Each of the characters is unique, the story is actually pretty interesting and you can set up complex actions and execute them quickly with a single key press.

3af0f4c5794f4b1045718f231f9297c6.jpg.jpg

I loved Desperados. It has two sequels, the imaginatively titled Desperados 2 and Helldorado.

post-179-1250056970_thumb.jpg

post-179-1250057050_thumb.jpg

Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator by Valkyrie Studios

I got this in a value pack with Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, both good fun.

Oni by Bungie

A TPS with manga style graphics, primarily focusing on hand-to-hand combat instead of guns with a nice story and atmosphere. Emphasis on nice, not awe inspiring.

My first PS2 game, shame there's no sequel.

Edited by Syraxis

I liked Last Express quite a bit until I reached a weird glitch that made it impossible to continue. I should try reinstalling it, since that time was years and years ago w/a much older/different pc.

Can't think of anything to add, since most games I've played are either at least fairly well known or were terrible.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Titans Expansion (must have original to play) is a great RTS. Here is a Titan of Atlantis (left) fighting Titan of Greece (right) :http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:9bIaP2...90screen003.jpg

Not really obscure, but hardly a video game superpower (such as Neverwinter Nights, WoW, and Final Fantasy)

Another picture? okay....

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ZUTDuO...Titans-5800.jpg

I know, I like Titans....

Sorry it is in a URL, but it said no dynamic pages in the tags....WTcrap!?!?!?

Man this list thread takes me back. Sanitarium, Oni, Anachronox. All great games that I still own.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but (Severance) Blade of Darkness was an awesome game.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Guest Slinky
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but (Severance) Blade of Darkness was an awesome game.

One of the best games for stress release ever!

24062004-34.jpg

Just started playing soul reaver 1. It took a while to get it working, damn 10 years old ps1 port.

Something I have not seen anyone mention before, it is my FAVORITE console game of ALL TIEM! Culdcept.

It is basically A card game (say kind of like Magic The Gathering, but different), Monopoly (you take control of area squares), is turn based. You basically battle the other players with the cards you both have in each hand (Monsters, spells, effects etc...). It is only out for the PS2/3 and XBox360 sadly. To me, it is basically gamer crack.

Some XBox 360 screenies:

Culdcept_SAGA_-_Screenshot_04.jpg

csagausa14.jpg

I currently don't have my PS2 set up at where I am living now (I only have a small TV, by big TV is in storage), and since there is no PC version thats probably a good thing, as I would NEVER LEAVE MY HOUSE AGAIN.

Very fun game, highly recommended.