Awesome/interesting games no one has heard of

Purkake

Warriors of the Eternal Sun for the Sega Mega-Drive was Storm of Zehir in 1992.

You had an overland map, obligatory old-skool first person dungeoneering view and extremely cool cod-medieval synthesizer muzak.

Wikipedia link to gamebox art here. Mobygames link to art detail here.

Loved this game, spent hours playing it. I didn't have a PC in 1992, I think I bought my Sega console in 1993/4 when I played this - by which time I hadn't played PnP D&D for about three or four years. This got me all hyped up about D&D again and the possibilities for the game on the computer.... then, for me, came Baldur's Gate...

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'd suggest you look up:

Hardwar:

149937.jpeg

It's basically Elite on a planet. But with great graphics, even now (it supports 1600x1200!). You follow a weak plot, all the while you're trying to upgrade your ship and buy property and more "lives" (called clones in the game). You begin with only one life and if you die, the game throws you out to the desktop (or maybe my game was buggy?). It's extremely difficult, totally unforgiving and highly satisfying once you get a hang of it. Oh, and you can play as a bounty hunter, a trader or a pirate. Just like Elite.

Scrapland:

68217.jpeg

Think GTA with robots. You play a weird looking rasta robot that's a journalist (the lowest job available on this robot planet). You get sent on a reporting job, but you soon end up playing a private detective unravelling some huge conspiracy/murder story in town. You're free to roam around the city as you wish and take on challenges and do battle with either bandits or the police. You can also upgrade your ship with new parts and weapons you find/win in the world. It can get repetitive, but I liked it.

The Neverhood:

959460317-00.gif

A very beautiful adventure game, made with claymation technique. It's actually a collaboration between Dreamworks and Microsoft! You play as a clay man (actually named Klayman) that's lost his memory and your mission is to wander the world, solve puzzles and regain your memories one at a time. The world is amazing, the characters gripping, the soundtrack is great and it's actually humorous. A true forgotten gem.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Warriors of the Eternal Sun for the Sega Mega-Drive was Storm of Zehir in 1992.

You had an overland map, obligatory old-skool first person dungeoneering view and extremely cool cod-medieval synthesizer muzak.

Wikipedia link to gamebox art here. Mobygames link to art detail here.

Loved this game, spent hours playing it. I didn't have a PC in 1992, I think I bought my Sega console in 1993/4 when I played this - by which time I hadn't played PnP D&D for about three or four years. This got me all hyped up about D&D again and the possibilities for the game on the computer.... then, for me, came Baldur's Gate...

Sweeeeet. :thumbsup:

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

People who haven't played The Neverhood yet, need to be lined against the wall and shot! Klayman ftw.

Nomad Soul was great but that last boss was incredibly difficult. :thumbsup:

1.13 killed off Ja2.

nuclearwar02.png

This is a game called Nuclear War. Honestly, it's only worth playing a few times. Each game is split between making nukes and launching them at the other player's cities. The only strategy is in trying to take so few hits yourself that by the end you'll still have at least one small city left so that you'll technically "win." This is actually very difficult as once you deliver the killing blow to an enemy, all of his remaining nukes are automatically launched in retaliation, so 4 out of 5 games, you'll either lose or end in stalemate. If you actually do manage to "win," the end game screen features the character you chose standing in the middle of an apocalyptic wasteland, alone, doing a victory dance. Wacky, cartoonish, and clearly satirical.

nuclearwar04.png

I loved this game. It's perfect for us cold war kids. Nixon was my fav character :thumbsup:

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Original War

OK, my turn to inform you all of a forgotten classic.

Think Jagged Alliance meets Red Alert. Set in the pliocene era (correct me if I'm wrong), with apemen and mammoths. Original War is to date the best blend of RPG and strategy I've played. Yes, screw Age of Wonders. If Original War counts as a strategy game, it also has the most interesting single-player campaign I've seen in any strategy game except Sacrifice. It's one of the few strategy games where you feel that none of your soldiers is truly expendable. The graphics may be considered dated, but if you are comfortable with isometric 2d I can tell you you'll have no problem.

original_war_profilelarge.jpg

(Picture from the prologue in the American campaign)

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Oh come on, how can you say that a game that features Americans going back in time using alien tech (left over from a crash or something I think) to gather the fuel (Siberite as it is found in Siberia) and move it to Alaska? Not to mention they run into Reds who are on a mission to steal the Alaskite from alaska to Siberia? (Can you say alternate timlines :x ?). There is even a commando Op going on featuring Arab oil Baron(s)-Sponsored Mercenaries...

Persistant game world, Limited number of troops (who carry on and level up from mission to mission), Prefab structures, and "Not So Long" range missles with fusion warheads?

You are so full of air :lol: !1!!eleventy!

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Oh come on, how can you say that a game that features Americans going back in time using alien tech (left over from a crash or something I think) to gather the fuel (Siberite as it is found in Siberia) and move it to Alaska? Not to mention they run into Reds who are on a mission to steal the Alaskite from alaska to Siberia? (Can you say alternate timlines :ermm: ?). There is even a commando Op going on featuring Arab oil Baron(s)-Sponsored Mercenaries...

Persistant game world, Limited number of troops (who carry on and level up from mission to mission), Prefab structures, and "Not So Long" range missles with fusion warheads?

You are so full of air ;) !1!!eleventy!

Hi cronicler,

Could you please try to make sense in future?

Regards,

Forum Goers.

Oni by Bungie

Not including a multiplayer in this game was one of the stupidest moves ever!

Great thing about this game is that it is so easily moddable. I played tons of great mods of this game - someone even made a 'deathmatch' mod.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It's fairly short, but with loads of replayability

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It looks like an early version of Commandos.

I was just gonna say it looks like a mod for Commandos or something.

I was asking for the opinion of people who played it, duh.

I didn't realise this was your thread. Don't bleed spats over from other parts of the forum, it's not done.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Okay, so now I played The Last Express demo, and hell, I liked it. There are some real characters for a change. How long is the full version?

You can finish it in one sitting. I've played through it at least three times, and picked up on something I missed each time.

I didn't realise this was your thread. Don't bleed spats over from other parts of the forum, it's not done.

I'm hijacking a thread about descriptions of awesome/interesting games no one has heard of, if I ask for a description about a potentially awesome/interesting game no one has heard of? Bad me.

Funny though that you weren't complaining when you were commenting a picture.

I don't know if this game is unknown, but it certainly is interesting, surprisingly good (considering), odd, weird and probably the sickest game I've ever had the privilege of playing.

Harvester

harvester.jpg

harvest_screen001.jpg

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive - A Commandos-style strategy game, that pretty much improves every aspect of it. Each of the characters is unique, the story is actually pretty interesting and you can set up complex actions and execute them quickly with a single key press.

3af0f4c5794f4b1045718f231f9297c6.jpg.jpg

Ground Control - An RTS that ditched base-building and unit-massing back in 2000 and focused on small fully customizable squads. The missions are hard as hell, requiring some real thought and utilizing your units and the terrain to the fullest.(It's avalable on Good Old Games)

groundcontrol_b2_screen010.jpg

Ground Control relied heavily on trial and error (units were chosen before missions, cue unforseen enemy surprise attack) last I heard.

Fallout 1-2 by some random no-name company called Black Isle

Fallout_2_Screenshot_by_M0nk3m4n.jpg

Open world RPGs with a few quests, crappy turn based combat BUT a not braindead leveling system. It was adequate.

Edited by Oner

Ground Control relied heavily on trial and error (units were chosen before missions, cue unforseen enemy surprise attack) last I heard.

The trick was to be a good enough strategy dude to use the stuff you chose to its fullest. You only have the intel they give you and if crap hits the fan you have to deal with it, that's one of the reasons it's so great. Also, the customization is crazy, you get to choose two special abilities for everyone out of like four for every unit AND you have to choose a balance between firepower, armor, speed and view distance in addition to choosing which units(who gain experience BTW) to bring in the first place. It's like the Hearts of Iron of RTSes.

groundcontrol_b2_screen017.jpg

Edited by Purkake

Still remains to be one of the awesomest RTS setting ever.

War Wind and War Wind 2

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/war-wind

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/war-...human-onslaught

And an RTS with a quirky sense of humour and defining flag capture resource system which forces you to play an aggressive style. Nope, Dawn Of War wasn't the first game to do that.

Z

http://www.mobygames.com/game/z