How would someone pitch a game

I am no programmer, infact im currently finishing up a biochemistry degree, after serving in the Marines as a grunt. However, through the years I have come up with what I believe to be a solid game concept. I was wondering how would I go about taking this concept to the next level, what am I expected to have to present it, what concerns should I have etc. Just all the information I would need to at least have a solid pitch to a developer to get things going. Personally I can tinker well, but I dont know much else.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I don't think many developers or publishers would actually accept a game pitch at this point in time; there's some messy legal stuff involved (what if your pitch is similar to a game already in development and they get sued?), and, generally speaking, there is no shortage of talented game developers with shipped games in their belt already pitching good game ideas. So coming in from outside the industry, without professional experience, and even having your game idea heard is pretty difficult, not to mention attempting to have it break out of the crowd of other submissions.

Sorry for the downer; just trying to be honest. If you really want to develop a game, you're generally going to need to be employed in the game industry before people will listen to pitches. So, if it's something that drives you, start working on mods, learn to work with a 3D editor, learn some basic programming, try to get a QA job somewhere where you have a chance of upward mobility, go to game conferences, etc., etc.

If you want to have your game idea stand out from the rest of the bunch, though, you should focus on the gameplay elements that make it unique. A lot of people have awesome ideas for a game story, but it's more rare for people to have unique gameplay hooks.

In the end, I don't think many independent developers will listen to outside game pitches, just because of the complexities involved. If you want to pursue this, you'll probably want to start with publishers. Perfect your elevator pitch, where you sum up the game in 15 seconds (some people recommend getting it down to 3 seconds) and sell precisely what's awesome about it in that space of time. Try to get someone to listen to you at GDC. Promote yourself a lot. Get business cards and follow up with people.

But, in the end, getting someone to develop a game when you don't already work in the industry is redonkulously hard.

Matthew Rorie

I appriciate the honesty more then you know, and i personally dont believe this truth to be a downer. It wont stop me from making the game by any means, but it will help me with a timeline. I have been trying to learn c# in my spare time, have been told by more then a few people that XNA is pretty easy to use and a good way to learn especially since you can port to the 360 with relative ease. I figured pitching a game to the industry might be pretty tough because every person who has ever played a game has an idea for one.

As one would expect I am taking your advice to mind, however I doubt I'll ever be in the industry myself, tinkering is a hobby of mine do it with cars, power tools, computers, considering I'm in biochem someday maybe people don't know yet. The point being this would be a nice hobby to get into because there isn't as much limitation in it as say working on my car, so it may never get published, but it doesn't matter because it is only my hobby.

Thanks for the information.

PS Assuming Obsidian is still around don't be surprized if I try to get your company to pick it up when it's WAY further down the road, except for KotoR 2 I am a big fan of Obsidian's work, even KotoR 2 was ok, but it needed some more time.

I know I always say this, but tabletop games can give you an excellent feel for _some_ elements of games design and manufacturing. Granted maybe your game is not going to work on cardboard, but if it might then it could be a way to put it through its paces. You'll also be able to point at your boxed game as proof that you were there first if you later go for a computer platform.

Further point: if you do decide to make a tabletop game, use your brains to come up with component manufacturers and ideas. For example, we found we could get biscuit tins made for less money than the same design on cardboard because 'games manufacturing' companies priced so high. Ditto looking out for ordinary plastic widgets which could be used as parts.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thats a good idea, it would help me with the fact that I have no experience, also it would help me understand how to get a nice set of rules down that are simple enough to be understood on only few pieces of paper not to mention some experience in the business world, because my experience is limited to sports car restoration. Thanks again for the input and advice, this is why this is literally the only forum that i read, nice people willing to help even someone like me who is litterally coming from nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress, mate?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes and no, things have slowed down because of school, and i just bought a house, so its a little on the back burner however when i have free time i have been learning c# and the concepts of the game are constantly running through my mind. The reality is i dont even have hot water in my house and my internet was established only a couple days ago. That said within a month or so things should smooth out a bit and i can focus on it a bit more.