List of cRPGs since '98, with grades

Err didnt know where to put it but anyway:

I kept tabs on RPGs as they were released since 98' and compiled them into an excel list folowing the grades of a local pc magazine. I think this list has absolutely all cRPGs - MMO's excluded, but feedback is appreciated.

The other columns are for perspective: I for isometric, P for first person and and T for third person.

The second column is type of rpg system that drives the game: A for action (diablo clone), K for classic (first person Morrowind like), J for jRPG, D ofr DnD and O for other. The categorisation is just for the purposes of getting a general idea on what the game is like (I made it up).

The three dot system is when the mag stopped giving numerical grades and are my impression based from reading the article.

The black and gold games are the ones who got above 90%...

And that would be it, enjoy

Excel_RPG_lista_1998_2009.zip

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I can't read .xls files on my home computer. Can you just copy/paste into a regular post as well? Even just the titles would be sufficient. I'm curious to see the list of names.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

CRPGS I think were worth something (from that list)

1998: Might and Magic VI -- Both a rebirth and a classic at the same time. Its almost a perfect game. The series fell apart again fast afterwards though.

1998: Fallout 2 -- Not something I think nearly so highly of as Fallout 1 but still a worthwhile crpg

1999: Baldur's Gate: Still my favorite BIoware game. Actually my only favorite Bioware game. Only marred by the imbalance between level cap and game xp.

2000: PS:T -- Not completely my cup of tea but still a special game

2000: IWD -- My fave of all the IE games

2000: BG2 -- I'm not as in love with this game as a lot of people, but it was still pretty decent

2000: WIzards and Warriors -- A buggy mess but still a lot of fun in the old skool way.

2001: Arcanum -- Buggy and imbalanced between tech and magick, but stil one of my faves ever

2002: WIz 8 -- My 2nd fave crpg ever. I'm playing it even to this day. Like last night.

2004: Bloodlines -- Took me a while to get into it, but ti was pretty fun

2007: THe WItcher -- Flawed but more interesting than anything since Wiz 8

AS you can see the list of crogs I care about becomes less as the years go on. Th crpg is a dying breed, atm.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I of the Dragon 84 points/%? :shrugz:

Nice list, though I'd change Vampire Redemption to A instead of O.

And Deus Ex is missing.

What do the stars and the highlights represent by the way?

@Crash, just because you don't like them doesn't make the genre dying. :p

Edited by Oner

If I were making that list I would include games like Deus Ex and System Shock 2. They might not be strictly crpgs in the classic sense, but they are close enough that I would include them.

Certainly if Diablo and Dungeon Siege and Lands of Lore are on that list that DX and SS2 should be also.

I of the Dragon 84 points/%? :shrugz:

Nice list, though I'd change Vampire Redemption to A instead of O.

And Deus Ex is missing.

What do the stars and the highlights represent by the way?

Who knows.

Deus Ex was too much a FPS to be included I think. I'll have to put in System Shock then, as well and then all sorts of hybrid games might have to be considered....

I wrote about the stars in my first post. The mag stopped grading so I gave the stars based on my impression when reading the article. Luckily that lasted for a short while.

The highlights are games that got above 90%.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

@Crash, just because you don't like them doesn't make the genre dying. :shrugz:

I wouldn't say that. I would say that the choices are getting so small, that the chances of getting something that you really love is pretty small.

The fact is everything is stealing aspects of RPG's today at least in some form of character development so finding what a pure cRPG is isnt exactly easy.

That's true. I find shooters a lot more interesting now then I once did because they have taken some aspects of crpgs for their own. In a limited way, but it still makes the fps genre much more interesting than it used to be.

STALKER for example is one of my favorites and that is because in addition to being a good shooter it's got a good deal of crpg aspects to it.

STALKER is still a shooter though. DX is a lot closer to being a crpg.

I wrote about the stars in my first post. The mag stopped grading so I gave the stars based on my impression when reading the article. Luckily that lasted for a short while.

Oops, I missed that part.

I wouldn't say that. I would say that the choices are getting so small, that the chances of getting something that you really love is pretty small.

That's true, but we all know where to get the good stuff from*looks at forum*. :shrugz:

Linguistic question: is 'from' necessary at the end of the previous sentence?

Something I was thinking about: When Vampire Redemption was released, a magazine called it a Diabloid game, but I'm convinced that if every character was remodelled with spiky hair and improbable weapons, everyone would call it a JRPG without batting an eye.

It's great that you found a purpose for your life. Maybe in ~20 years you can publish it as the most complete list of cRPGs since the apocalypse.

EDIT: Lol Final Fantasy VIII, the boredom simulator that comes with a ridiculously stupid story!

Edited by Purkake

Not going to bother with the list, but I'm playing IWD 2 right now. For some reason I didn't remember anything about the game and I did one normal run and one HoF run back when game was released. Man, IWD 2 is one boring game that certainly has not aged well. Only positive I can think of that it's challencing (especially if you don't cheese with kiteing or resting after each battle). Especially compared to more modern games like NWN 2 or ME.

I'm playing extremely self-interest group of mercs but somehow I end up saving most of the NPCs. I just got to the White Dragon cave and I have no idea why I'm pushing forward. I think my mission was to meet Neverwinter forces. I did that after Ice Fortress. Now I wonder why I continue forward and why haven't anyone payed me to go forward (or give some other reason to give a damn about ten-towns).

Even with decreased difficulty, I'm happy that CRPGs have moved forward in other areas.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

"Naslovi koji dobiju manje od 80 nisu vredni igranja" -

"Naslovi koji dobiju izmedju 80-90 su cesto vredni bar da se probaju - ali ne i uvek da se zavrse"

these were written in the magazine or are these your comments? Either way it's one of the most retarded things anyone can say. o.Ož

besides: relying on numerical grades is dumb as well, really good reviewers don't use them anyway.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

"Naslovi koji dobiju manje od 80 nisu vredni igranja" -

"Naslovi koji dobiju izmedju 80-90 su cesto vredni bar da se probaju - ali ne i uvek da se zavrse"

this were written in the magazine or are these your comments? Either way it's one of the most retarded things anyone can say. o.O

Guess it's a good thing most of us don't speak Serbian :shrugz:

On a side note, writing Slavic languages with Latin letters is weird.

Why? Only seven of them are using Cyrillic , others use Latin with special letters and accents but so does pretty every other language anyway. So don't insult us <_<.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

besides: relying on numerical grades is dumb as well, really good reviewers don't use them anyway.
If anyone, then the reader will rely on them, the author still has several pages to fill with his thoughts.

Well, the grades only relates to how much the reviewer likes the game, so... I guess if you feel you like the same games as reviewers, you would listen to them (I don't).

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Why? Only seven of them are using Cyrillic , others use Latin with special letters and accents but so does pretty every other language anyway. So don't insult us <_<.

Not trying to insult you, it's just looks unpronounceable to me :brows: