A New Fallout Game/Mod

cronicler

I'm looking forward to it.

I played FOnline second Beta test, and even with a lot of unimplemented features, and no english-speaking NPCs, leaving english speaking players essentially with only PKing to do, it was a shytload of fun.

This time it looks like they have done a lot of work to improve it, including quests written in english and many new RPG mechanics.

Can't wait until 15/8.

Im not sure about this. Fallout co-op would be sweet, but MMO? Nah.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Please don't brandish that MMO name around here too much :x . Sure I am a biased observer but FOnline 2238 is going to be based on hardcore Ultima Online style instead of the modern "Soft" MMOs with holding hands and babysitting.

Sure the modern games may have left you jaded but if you have time I do recomend you to take part in the new beta to see for yourself. (then again reading this a second time, I noticed that I sound like a used car salesman :p. Not very trust inspiring. )

Anyways I'll try to keep you updated if anything new comes up on this subject.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Please don't brandish that MMO name around here too much :x . Sure I am a biased observer but FOnline 2238 is going to be based on hardcore Ultima Online style instead of the modern "Soft" MMOs with holding hands and babysitting.

Sure the modern games may have left you jaded but if you have time I do recomend you to take part in the new beta to see for yourself. (then again reading this a second time, I noticed that I sound like a used car salesman :p. Not very trust inspiring. )

Anyways I'll try to keep you updated if anything new comes up on this subject.

Ultima Online might have been more "hardcore" than today's MMOs, but it certainly wasn't any better:

uo_f.jpg

Sign me up for some of that Fallout co-op, though.

Watch out for Interplay, they're making the "official" fallout MMO and can potentially send you a cease and desist or sue you.

Edited by Purkake

Disclaimer: I am not connected to this project and I don't have much info other than what I have seen over at NMA or the 2238 site. Ill try to drag someone from the team so you can flay... i mean grill him :x

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

I dislike the core concept of the MMO. I want a game with a story and a progress curve that goes from A-Z, I dont want to be 'warrior #827' grinding through endless mobs in ever-respawning instances in order to get loot and exp so you can grind some more in a pointless loop.

Fallout wasnt about getting a power armor and reaching lvl 20, it was about the stuff you could do and how it changed things in the wasteland.

Watch out for Interplay, they're making the "official" fallout MMO and can potentially send you a cease and desist or sue you.

Nope, that fizzled. I think it was something along the line of Bethesda got the rights back as Interplay had failed to show that they had actually started production.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Nope, that fizzled. I think it was something along the line of Bethesda got the rights back as Interplay had failed to show that they had actually started production.

Well, then Beth can sue them. I don't know how C&D or sue happy they are, though.

Since when did Bethesda made Fallout 1 and 2? In the end, FOnline is still just a Fallout 2 mod, because you need a legal copy of Fallout 2 if you want to play it.

And even if... if Bethesda is scared by us so much that they need to sue us, then wow, we must have some big balls or we work on a mega project and they see their income shattered.

To the rest: I for myself don't like MMOs in general. I played a lot and "different" games and they all bored me already after one week. The longest time I played a MMO was with UO but this is years ago. When I first tested FOnline in late 2007, I was excited-- not in the first moment because it was strange, but on the second day everything changed, I got my first equipment, I met the first cool people etc. etc. Then I played the whole open test long... so approx three weeks, a new record for me, yay. In the second open test it was nearly the same, one could say.. a lot people who never really played any MMO played FOnline the whole three weeks long. And some of the people (heh) are now the developers of FOnline: 2238, the english game based on the FOnline engine.

One question tho':

I dislike the core concept of the MMO.

You already know our core concept?

(Yeah, I love to post that story) I personally hate grinding. It sucks, it is boring and hell, I hate endless grinding for exp and leveling up (in every game). Most in our dev team are roleplayers in their hearts and they don't like grinding and all the other generic MMO stuff too. That's the reason why we try to do something unique with our game and not put the focus on endless monster bashing. At the moment, we try to include as much different ways to do stuff in the game, as possible. But this needs time and we don't have much (next open test starts soon). I think, it will be still good, even in the beginning. FOnline: 2238 will be playable in alpha stage and then updated from time to time. We will see how the outcome will be.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I meant the concept of MMO's as we know them.

Will this be playable/enjoyable just playing by yourself or is it focused completely on mutliplayer? I mean, is there a story of some sort and/or can you go in and just play a few quests by yourself?

Well, FOnline: The Life After has already a lot quests, a storyline, etc. etc. but it is 100% in russian language.

With FOnline: 2238 we started a short while after the second open test ended (December 2008). So we have approx 8 months of work behind us and in this time we mostly worked on the basics of the game. The Faction system, npc scripts, locations, the maps, new combat system (mechanics), etc. etc. We don't have a story yet 'nor much quests. This will be added ongoing from time to time. We have a lot material because the year 2238 is a kind of break in the Fallout timeline. Short after the NCR beginns to rise, the Enclave comes up to the table, etc.

You can play the game alone too of course but the focus is on playing with other players in the way of social and economical development. Also I think it is easier to play in a group because the wasteland is a dangerous place...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Since when did Bethesda made Fallout 1 and 2? In the end, FOnline is still just a Fallout 2 mod, because you need a legal copy of Fallout 2 if you want to play it.

And even if... if Bethesda is scared by us so much that they need to sue us, then wow, we must have some big balls or we work on a mega project and they see their income shattered.

They own the rights to the Fallout franchise, including Fallout 1 and 2 and now apparently also a potential Fallout MMO. Some companies have the habit of sending legal threats to anyone using their trademarks. I doubt that Bethesda would care unless your Fallout online thing got really big. I just wanted to warn you about the possibility, lots of awesome mod projects have been shut down because of overly protective companies.

Is it all hosted on one central server? Do you want to make it one big world or lots of small player-run servers?

Edited by Purkake

Hello everyone!

I'm also one of the FOnline developers, just like Lexx; a while ago cronicler invited me here for a round of Q&A, so here I am :)

How many people can this game support at one time on a server? I'd call it more of a persistent world than an MMO, unless they have some super server farm available to them.

Not sure, but IIRC there were moments during OBT2 where up to 500 players were online... Good thing the amount of client-server traffic is minimal so we don't really need the NYC-London backbone capacity to keep the game playable.

Fallout wasnt about getting a power armor and reaching lvl 20, it was about the stuff you could do and how it changed things in the wasteland.

Exactly. That's why we try to make places and events reflecting the world as it's been imagined in the heads of the original developers, not to promote power-gaming. It is a bit hard to comply to those guidelines in a MMO game (compared to single-player experience), but I believe we've made it, at least in the areas critical for the gameplay functionality. Instead of grinding encounters and go for the best weapons, armors and items in general, we have created a harsh environment where the scarce resources force cooperation, teaming up, exploration, economy based item creation, and much more.

The factions system encourages you to role-play and introduces a political and economical frame to the wasteland. Everyone have their ideology and rules, and if you want to be a part of it, you'll have to meet the certain requirements. Unadapted players, among them mindless player-killers (PKs), which join the game just to shoot at something or to ruin the game for others will be punished by the wasteland itself.

We do fail on quests, I admit, but... the players can organise themselves in such manner now that they can "make" the quests themselves. Defending a significant point, trading brahmin and slaves, oppressing the small settlement, bounty hunting, joining a "big" faction like NCR/Enclave/BoS/VC and spreading their influence and ideology - those are just some of the possibilities awaiting you. Gamemasters (GMs) and Admins will take care of you, pointing you to the right direction and even rewarding you after some time... Yours is just to (role)play. Other than that, more quests will be added during the upcoming beta test (we do have some quests already, don't worry).

They own the rights to the Fallout franchise, including Fallout 1 and 2 and now apparently also a potential Fallout MMO. Some companies have the habit of sending legal threats to anyone using their trademarks. I doubt that Bethesda would care unless your Fallout online thing got really big. I just wanted to warn you about the possibility, lots of awesome mod projects have been shut down because of overly protective companies.

I'm really not an expert when it comes to Beth-IPlay contracts and I doubt any of us knows what exactly is written there. I wouldn't provide any opinion on that for now, so let's concentrate on Q&A about FOnline:2238.

EDIT - Forgot to answer this:

Is it all hosted on one central server? Do you want to make it one big world or lots of small player-run servers?

Small servers, for now. There won't be a lot of them though, I guess 3 or 4 for the upcoming open beta test. FOnline:2238 will be settled on 1 or 2 of them, but we may add more, according to the number of players.

Edited by lisac2k

What are you using for in-game chat? Irc?

Good question!

Chat is already implemented (in game). You just type your text in the chat window and press ENTER - the text appears above your head. Longer messages remain longer, for the conformity of reading them.

Well, there are 2 modes, real-time (RT) and turn-based (TB).

The first is forced in all towns, one of the reasons is the slooow combat with hundreds of NPCs and players around, the other is the time synchronisation (we can't stop the time in a town just to let someone take care of his/her turn). TB mode is available in encounters and "out there" in general, but only if all of the players which are taking part in the encounter set the proper option in their client INI file (there is a small utility to edit that INI file, but it can be done manually too). Otherwise it's RT, and the TB mode is just like in the original games.

In the end, there are Action Points (APs), of course. Performing an action reduces them, idling is replenishing them. Running/Walking doesn't reduce APs, but during those actions they're not replenished either. Attacking someone and running away is also not possible, since there is a timeout (currently a few seconds, 5 IIRC) during which the attacked critter has enough time to respond to attack and the attacker can't leave the current map.

Edited by lisac2k

What are you using for in-game chat? Irc?

Beside the normal chat stuff, Lisac already mentioned, players can buy radios in the game and set own channels and chat over them, etc.

We do fail on quests, I admit,

Yes, Lisac, but I always just see the time we worked on it yet. 8 (in fact it should be 6 or 7) months and what we have done in this time is a big thing. :) Other (mod)teams can't get this done in 3 years... So, we rock. :>

No thanks...

NMA disapproves? :)

I think that most at NMA have never heard of me, and none would consider me one of them (though I've had an account for some time, and have lurked there almost decade).

I don't like MMO's typically, and (I think) would like a Fallout MMO even less so.

I read about V13 and could only imagine...

FalloutMMO.jpg

**EDIT:

I can see a Fallout multi-player mode... if it were such that each player had their PC and his /or her tag-along band of NPC's, where each player moves about looting and trapping areas independent of other players. ~And PC can ally, betray, bribe NPC's away, and such... If done right it could work, but doesn't FO strive to invoke a sense of isolation and desolation? Doesn't multiplayer strive for the opposite?

Edited by Gizmo

No thanks...

NMA disapproves? :)

I think that most at NMA have never heard of me, and none would consider me one of them (though I've had an account for some time, and have lurked there almost decade).

I don't like MMO's typically, and (I think) would like a Fallout MMO even less so.

I read about V13 and could only imagine...

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj125/Gizmojunk/FalloutMMO.jpg

For some reason I think of you and Brother None as the face of NMA. Maybe it was the Bethesda FO3 forums?