Motherboard go BOOM!

Calax

I was dling some... non gaming material over bit torrent, and turns out one of them had some really nasty virus attached. Said virus shot my motherboard in the head and now I need a new one it seems.

I think I had a 2.4 gig dual-core processor but I'm not entirely sure.

So, my questions are thus, what can I get that'll allow me to have a similar gaming experiance and not force me to purchase everything again, where can I find my model number so I can figure out what exactly I have, and what can I do to kill what's on my HD BEFORE it wrecks the new Motherboard?

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

...turns out one of them had some really nasty virus attached. Said virus shot my motherboard in the head and now I need a new one it seems.

I've not heard of a virus killing a motherboard before - are you sure it was a virus and not a bad part? If you are concerned take your HD and attach it to a Linux system and then scan for virii using that. :fdevil:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

...turns out one of them had some really nasty virus attached. Said virus shot my motherboard in the head and now I need a new one it seems.

I've not heard of a virus killing a motherboard before - are you sure it was a virus and not a bad part? If you are concerned take your HD and attach it to a Linux system and then scan for virii using that. :fdevil:

well, the reason I think it was the motherboard is becuase when I flick it on, it draws power, but non of the UI comes on (speakers, monitor, keyboard or mouse) and it acts like it's trying to check my cd drives. When you actually look at the board (not sure if it's the mother board or HD) there's a digital readout that just keeps flicking numbers around.

I mean if somebody would tell me how to swap out the HD for another one that I've got I'll give it a shot but...

well, the reason I think it was the motherboard is becuase when I flick it on, it draws power, but non of the UI comes on (speakers, monitor, keyboard or mouse) and it acts like it's trying to check my cd drives.

Have you checked your BIOS? If not that's what I would do. :fdevil:

I mean if somebody would tell me how to swap out the HD for another one that I've got I'll give it a shot but...

you pull one out and slap the other in - it's not that hard. :sorcerer:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

well, the reason I think it was the motherboard is becuase when I flick it on, it draws power, but non of the UI comes on (speakers, monitor, keyboard or mouse) and it acts like it's trying to check my cd drives.

Have you checked your BIOS? If not that's what I would do. :fdevil:

you pull one out and slap the other in - it's not that hard. :sorcerer:

How would i check my Bios if I can't see anything?

And I don't even know the first thing about putting these together... all I know is VERY basic about the slots on the sucker, when I built this it was with my brother.

• Like 1

Tsk, tsk, tsk... :fdevil:

I don't know of such a virus, but considering that I can reprogram and reflash my bios from Windows without even rebooting it, I can't see why it shouldn't be possible to create virus that makes itself at home there. If your hardware supports overclocking through software, maybe excessive speed settings might hurt your hardware if cooling is insufficient? No idea.

These days, I normally malicious web code the greatest threat.

As for identifying your motherboard, I think most of them has the make and model number printed on the board itself, although it might be on the "other" side (i.e. taking it out physically might be necessary). Depending on what you have, you might be able to hard reset it or even reflash it from a usb stick. Documentation is usually available on the manufacturers website once you identify it.

DN got the right idea about your HD, although you don't need a linux system for it, just make sure you attach it as a secondary drive to a system with an up to date virus/trojan scanner. If it finds nothing, odds are, it might be something else that is causing your system to malfunction.

What are the symptoms? No post?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

How would i check my Bios if I can't see anything?

Beeps, numbers, anything like that... You can also check the chip as I've had them go bad on me before. :fdevil:

And I don't even know the first thing about putting these together...

Linky :sorcerer:

-Hurlshot

well... as for beeps, NOTHING happens, and where numbers are supposed to be displayed on my board the just do a cycle of half shown numbers that go (I think) 3 9 blank.

I don't know of such a virus, but considering that I can reprogram and reflash my bios from Windows without even rebooting it, I can't see why it shouldn't be possible to create virus that makes itself at home there.

True, and in fact a bit of searching turned up this tidbit. Now, I'm still not sure this is your problem Calax, as it does not look like a common BIOS virii issue, they mainly try to tell you that your system is infected with a fake virus and that you need to buy their fake cure as far as I can tell, -it also seems an odd virus for a .torrent file as many of those are keyloggers or the like- but it is nice to know that they are out there. It seems that re-flashing the chip might work if this were the problem as well but I'm not sure you should try that unless you know that a virus is the issue.

...just make sure you attach it as a secondary drive to a system with an up to date virus/trojan scanner.

I would use a system that is not the target type if an infection is suspected although, yes, you could use a non-Linux system. :fdevil:

-Hurlshot

...and where numbers are supposed to be displayed on my board the just do a cycle of half shown numbers that go (I think) 3 9 blank.

That's most likely an error code that we could use to help tell what the problem is if we knew your chipset. :fdevil:

-Hurlshot

...and where numbers are supposed to be displayed on my board the just do a cycle of half shown numbers that go (I think) 3 9 blank.

That's most likely an error code that we could use to help tell what the problem is if we knew your chipset. :fdevil:

well the driver disk for that says it's an EVGA mainboard with the driver version 63.nf590 SLI

Problem is that that requires that I be able to manipulate my computer, right now it turns on... and tries to spin my CD drive, but otherwise nothing.

Have you tried resetting your BIOS? Check your manual (or google for it) and find the reset CMOS jumper. If you're lucky (and your computer is new enough) you might even have a button for it on the back of the computer (EVGA makes enthusiast motherboards so you may be in luck).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Have you tried resetting your BIOS? Check your manual (or google for it) and find the reset CMOS jumper. If you're lucky (and your computer is new enough) you might even have a button for it on the back of the computer (EVGA makes enthusiast motherboards so you may be in luck).

Didn't know I could reset it... let me go find my stuff for the board

Is the CMOS chip replaceable, as in it pops out and can be refitted ?. Just a general question.

I don't know, but there is a reset connector on the board, I lost the manual to it, but several reviews mention it... and say that it's in a hard location to find.

ok, found the maunal online

http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/122-M2-NF59.pdf

it appears I can dump the CMOS data... I think I might have done it but I"m not sure, it's hard finding this stuff ;)

Edited by Calax

Ok, according to the motherboards debug thingy, (the number display on the motherboard) I've got a program chipset error.

... and when I unplug everything from my motherboard (HD, Ram, Graphics card... I think I missed a CD drive, whups) it comes up with a memory error. Best Guess from the tech support at EVGA is that overheating (unlikely) or a power surge fried my CPU so that it didn't know what it was doing anymore.

Edited by Calax

You could try plugging a new CPU into the MB to see it that was the issue. :)

need to have one extra for that buddy. I'm not the type to just have one laying around... what I may do is strip out the HD and take it into a shop to see what they think.

Well... it wasn't the processor (just tried it).

Right now I think I'm just gonna yank the HD and take it to a shop.