Console vs PC game pricing

Why are console games so expensive?

I just looked up Left 4 Dead, Game of the Year Edition for a B-day present. PC: 39.99 - XBox 360: 59.74

Whoa! How can consoles compete on non-exclusives? And isn

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

License costs that go directly to MS, Sony or Nintendo. (= console plebs are simply dumb, dirty, and stupid enough to pay for it)

With the PC being an "open" platform, there is no such extra cost. (= The PC gaming master race is beautiful, insightful and have the wisdom to be frugal upon their expenses).

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

There's about a $10 difference due to the license fee. But I also noticed PC games generally tend to be discounted quicker and deeper than console games, may be due to price pressure from piracy, not sure.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

^ Thinking about it every year Brits go to NY for their Xmas shopping, exchange rates willing, because Stuff's Cheaper There.

Now, games are now cheaper in Europe since the Credit Crunch. If Americans are visiting the UK you might as well stock up on PC titles (dunno if the console titles are regionalised). I remember buying IWD: Heart of Winter in Las Vegas in 2001, it was much cheaper there. Not so now I suspect.

sonsofgygax.JPG

In sweden is always exactly 100 SEK more than the PC version, sometimes 200. PC will go for 499, 360 will go 599 and PS3 might go up to 699. Just when the 360 came, it was +100 for xbox and +200 for 360 vs the PC versions.

1 sek =

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Gfted1, old chap, pay for a round of drinks in a Swedish bar... and re-mortgage your home to get the second in.

EDIT: My currency converter shows 1.00 British pounds sterling = 12.23 Swedish kronor.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

I can kinda understand the weakend Dollar but 1 SEK buys 10 Euro's? Wow, their economy is rocking!

EDIT: Wait, so 1 Pound is worth 120 Euros?

It's the opposite you ninny.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

No, I completely screwed up the rates because a friend of mine was shouting at me to go grocery shopping. Its supposed to be

100 sek = $13.32 or €9,41

And thats what we got for voting no to the euro, although at the time it was relatively sensible to so because the price on absolutely everything would have gone up %5-10 while the wages would have remained at the same level. Kind of like the scam Steam are pulling in europe by doing $49 = €49 even though its actually €49 = $68,3

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The pound has taken a hammering over the past year or so, especially against the Euro.

At Xmas it was almost one-for-one, it's rallied to about 1.16 Euros to the pound.

Still not too bad on the dollar, but I remember the halcyon days of

sonsofgygax.JPG

Why are console games so expensive?

I just looked up Left 4 Dead, Game of the Year Edition for a B-day present. PC: 39.99 - XBox 360: 59.74

Whoa! How can consoles compete on non-exclusives? And isn

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Games are still pretty good value here, the bargain bins are overflowing with recent two-for-one deals.

Yeah I buy all my games in the UK by post... Because even old games like Metal Gear Solid 4 or Devil May Cry 4 still cost here about 2500 old SKK (aprox 82 new EUR) which is totaly retarded and people are still wondering why is piracy so common in ex-communistic countries...

For me it is worth the extra money because with PS3/PS2/Wii game i get a game without mandatory online activations and without 3(5) time install limit...

That's so 2008, man. What new game has limited activations? Even Bioware dropped the DRM on Dragon Age.

Over here PC games cost around $50-$60 and console games cost $90-$100.(converted)

Edited by Purkake

For me it is worth the extra money because with PS3/PS2/Wii game i get a game without mandatory online activations and without 3(5) time install limit...

That's so 2008, man. What new game has limited activations? Even Bioware dropped the DRM on Dragon Age.

Over here PC games cost around $50-$60 and console games cost $90-$100.(converted)

DA is not released yet... And with the current stunt pulled by EA on C&C 4 i would not be surprised if DA will be "online only" aswell...

Ubisoft is in making of new "antipiracy measure" aswell... i am realy curious what that will be...

Commenting on piracy, Guillemot said, 'altogether on console, the piracy is low'. He also said, 'on the PC the piracy is quite a lot. We are working on a tool that would allow us to decrease that on the PC starting next year and probably one game this year'. He did not clarify what the tool is or give any hints, although he mentioned that future games hope to include goodies such as 'new figurines and new elements in the boxes' to help encourage people to buy their games.

I realy wish it will be something different than new sort of DRM mechanism... but i am realy sceptic about it...

Edited by Mamoulian War

DA is not released yet... And with the current stunt pulled by EA on C&C 4 i would not be surprised if DA will be "online only" aswell...

Ubisoft is in making of new "antipiracy measure" aswell... i am realy curious what that will be...

Having to be online to play is better than having a limited number of activations.

Commenting on piracy, Guillemot said, 'altogether on console, the piracy is low'. He also said, 'on the PC the piracy is quite a lot. We are working on a tool that would allow us to decrease that on the PC starting next year and probably one game this year'. He did not clarify what the tool is or give any hints, although he mentioned that future games hope to include goodies such as 'new figurines and new elements in the boxes' to help encourage people to buy their games.

I realy wish it will be something different than new sort of DRM mechanism... but i am realy sceptic about it...

We'll see when it comes out. I'd like to think that they learned something from the whole Spore spectacle.

Having to be online to play is better than having a limited number of activations.

Until they turn off the server... software with limited activation can be used after that, untill you reinstall your PC, or you use some less conventional means (you know what i mean :*) But online only Single player game??? nothing will help you ever unless you are so pro that you buy yourself a computer and set up there fully functional cracked virtual server so you can play the game after big shutdown...

i never thought i would say it but i take limited activation game over online only any day... in our country it is legal to circumvent DRM for product you purchased legaly...

We'll see when it comes out. I'd like to think that they learned something from the whole Spore spectacle.

I realy hope every publisher learned from that spectacle aswell :p

Edited by Mamoulian War

Until they turn off the server... software with limited activation can be used after that, untill you reinstall your PC, or you use some less conventional means (you know what i mean :*) But online only Single player game??? nothing will help you ever unless you are so pro that you buy yourself a computer and set up there fully functional cracked virtual server so you can play the game after big shutdown...

i never thought i would say it but i take limited activation game over online only any day... in our country it is legal to circumvent DRM for product you purchased legaly...

I somehow doubt that this won't get cracked, and you won't be needing a virtual server for that.

Also, It's not a single player game. You can play it single player, but it also has co-op and vs modes, it's like Left 4 Dead.

I somehow doubt that this won't get cracked, and you won't be needing a virtual server for that.

Also, It's not a single player game. You can play it single player, but it also has co-op and vs modes, it's like Left 4 Dead.

It might be very strange for you, but C&C games were always Single Player games for me :p