Too Many Delayed Games

I just want to say...I sincerely hope Alpha Protocol stays on course to the announced release date. We do not need to lose another great title for 2009. Sega/Obsidian... Please do not delay this game. If anything move the release date forward. Now is a good time to release AP because there is nothing good out now. June, July, August have not given us any good games. It is a long wait for October 6 as it is.

I am actually gonna have to agree with Trepwert. If it came out tomorrow, as is, I would buy it. But it should stay on its october release date because even if everyone on this forum buys it, no one else might if it isnt finished.

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on it now. There is absolutely NOTHING to play at the moment. I'm on my third playthrough of Jade Empire just to kill time...

Just wondering, what is there left to be done? Bug fixes? What kind of "polish" are we talking about here?

Alpha Protocol, Brutal Legend, Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 are all coming out around October. All are on my "Buy on spot" list. I really wouldn't mind if some of them got delayed to early 2010, like Bayonetta did. There's only so much money I can afford to spend on games in such a short period of time.

20795.jpg

Goes without saying, but I agree with the 'delay won't hurt' idea.

After KotOR2 (not that it was obsid's fault), I don't think many people on these fora would disagree.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I just want to say...I sincerely hope Alpha Protocol stays on course to the announced release date. We do not need to lose another great title for 2009. Sega/Obsidian... Please do not delay this game. If anything move the release date forward. Now is a good time to release AP because there is nothing good out now. June, July, August have not given us any good games. It is a long wait for October 6 as it is.

Look at KOTOR2 and NWN2.

No, I hope they continue to delay it until they decide they are well and truly ready and hopefully relatively bug free.

After KotOR2 (not that it was obsid's fault), I don't think many people on these fora would disagree.

Very good point. I remember how gutted I was when I got to the end of KOTOR 2 and realised they must have downed tools just to get the game out.

Very good point. I remember how gutted I was when I got to the end of KOTOR 2 and realised they must have downed tools just to get the game out.

Interestingly, I favor K 2-s ending over the first's.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on it now. There is absolutely NOTHING to play at the moment. I'm on my third playthrough of Jade Empire just to kill time...

Just wondering, what is there left to be done? Bug fixes? What kind of "polish" are we talking about here?

Exactly, what is there left to be done. How much more can you do in 4 months after E3 09. The game should be complete enough to release now and DLC the rest. As we all know, this generation of games are never done anyway. Ongoing support is the way to go.

Edited by Trepwert

I understand your point.

Its just that the more games that get delayed til Q1/Q2 2010, the more likely Alpha Protocol will be pushed to Q3 2010 or even Q4 2010. I just would not like that.

I understand your point.

Its just that the more games that get delayed til Q1/Q2 2010, the more likely Alpha Protocol will be pushed to Q3 2010 or even Q4 2010. I just would not like that.

It's a bit early to say for sure, but I don't know of any major games that are set to be released before the Christmas rush (correct me if I'm wrong). A Christmas release would give Obs +~2 months to tweak the game and less competition.

I understand your point.

It's a bit early to say for sure, but I don't know of any major games that are set to be released before the Christmas rush (correct me if I'm wrong). A Christmas release would give Obs +~2 months to tweak the game and less competition.

All of these delays benefit Obsidian greatly. Less competition for AP to deal with and more of a chance that gamers will give it a closer look when released. Games like Alpha Protocol, Borderlands, Operation Flashpoint and WET are all games whose profile is suddenly elevated now that so many big titles have slipped to 2010. The first half of 2010 looks much more hostile than Q4 of 2009. As long as AP is finished by the time it is released, October is a fantastic launch window for Obsidian. The only other RPGs seem to be Magna Carta, a JRPG and Bioware's Dragon Age, a Fantasy RPG. The biggest games releasing this year are a Racing Sim (Forza 3) and 3 FPS' (Halo: ODST in September and MW2 and L4D2 which will be at each others throats in November). On the PS3 you have Uncharted 2 in October but most of AP's sales will probably be on the 360 anyway. They are in a good position here as far as consoles go, I'm sure AP will do just fine on the PC no matter what.

Releasing in 2010 would put AP too close to Mass Effect 2 for comfort. Not to mention all of the other heavily hyped games.

Edit: oh and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is another game releasing in September that everyone seems to forget about but will surely be a big hit. Still, the competition is a lot less stiff than it was before these delays.

Edited by Demonocracy

Not going to happen. Sega won't be sitting on a finished game for a year, not now.

20795.jpg

Is this talk of a delay based on anything in particular? Or is it just speculation at this stage?

Given the number and quality of the promotional content and previews we've seen that last month, I would say they're near to completion, and the game will ship on October. If there is a delay, it won't be anything like the previous one at least (from March to October if I recall).

Just speculation. I'd say there's a good chance it'll come out in October. It might not come out on the 6th, but it will be here in October.

I don't think we've had a single hint about the release date not holding. And I'd say that beating Dragon Age to the market by two weeks is definitely something to aim for.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif