New IGN Preview

WANT!

Nice preview, hopefully the repeated comments about generic shooter gameplay don't turn people off. :/

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Guest PoziomyPion
I love these new RPGs coming out. I hope this is as good an RPG as Gears of War and cod4. Fallout 3 was great, but the shooting could have been much better, which is the whole point of an RPG imo. Other than that its just talking and walking and bumpin up your numbers. I hope the talking thing in this is pretty limited. And I hope that there's NO reading, if wanted to read I would go to school developers. Still this is high on my list, this and ODST which is gonna be the definitive co-op RPG. [-] Minimize Comment

Posted by: crakkie on July 28, 2009 10:54 PDT

:huh:

I love these new RPGs coming out. I hope this is as good an RPG as Gears of War and cod4. Fallout 3 was great, but the shooting could have been much better, which is the whole point of an RPG imo. Other than that its just talking and walking and bumpin up your numbers. I hope the talking thing in this is pretty limited. And I hope that there's NO reading, if wanted to read I would go to school developers. Still this is high on my list, this and ODST which is gonna be the definitive co-op RPG. [-] Minimize Comment

Posted by: crakkie on July 28, 2009 10:54 PDT

:huh:

Comments are comedy gold!

Nice review. WANT NAOW!!!

Seems like a fair preview. From what I've seen, the combat *is* generic.

From what I've seen, it looks better than Mass Effect. Having combat that is better than subpar is IMHO already an improvement in the action RPG genre.

Come to think of it, the combat wasn't really that inspired in Deus Ex either. Apart from shocking everybody with the aiming and all. :)

Call me crazy, but I just don't see how violence is anything but generic. Punch. Kick. Shoot. Blow stuff up. ?. Profit.

It's an RPG. I play RPGs because I like to role-play (and because I LOVE to build characters). RPGs should not be like Michael Bay films, where any pretense of story or plot is simply a mechanism to get the viewer (or player) from one action sequence to another.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Call me crazy, but I just don't see how violence is anything but generic. Punch. Kick. Shoot. Blow stuff up. ?. Profit.

It's an RPG. I play RPGs because I like to role-play (and because I LOVE to build characters). RPGs should not be like Michael Bay films, where any pretense of story or plot is simply a mechanism to get the viewer (or player) from one action sequence to another.

Not crazy, jaded, perhaps. :sweat:

As for the second paragraph, I'd say you are spot on.

Edited by Nepenthe