Good Old Games

Pop

I'm pretty bad with puzzles, I do mean the bit with the tree and the egg. I usually end up using the walkthrough in later sections of adventure games, but it is more fun when I can go without..

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within is now at GOG.com

The good news is that it's the best game in the trilogy in my opinion. The bad news is that it's one of those mid 90's FMV games with really, really horrible actors.

Edit:

Here's also some useful mods in case they aren't already added to the game:

No Interlace Patch Does what it says, makes FMV's look a lot better

English Subtitle Patch Again, what the name says, adds subtitles to the game

Edited by Slinky

Soooold.

hotlinking isn't allowed?

Soooold.

hotlinking isn't allowed?

Dammit :lol:

Though it looks like the subtitle patch isn't working with the GOG release, the guy who made it is working on it. I'm not sure is the no interlace patch needed, it doens't seem to be interlaced in the GOG made youtube trailer? Anyway, the patch can be found here, if needed. No idea does that work with the GOG release.

Edit:

Right, the no interlace patch IS needed. Just ignore the readme and copy the files to PATCHES directory. The intro cinematic isn't affected, but everything else is.

Edited by Slinky

Damn. The subtitle patch is the one I really want, I turn it on for everything. I guess I'll use the time to play TLJ.

Finished the download, though - at 2.4gb I guess this one has a lot more horsepower going for it.

Okay, bought GK2 and found out how to get the subtitle patch to work. Dunno how many here bought/is going to buy GK2, but here it is anyway:

1. Download the Gabriel Knight II English Subtitle Patch from here

2. When installing note two things: It will add \GK2 to the install path without asking, so take it out. Second thing is that it asks do you want to download DOSBox, no/cancel/whatever to that.

3. Now it gets messy. Follow these instructions:

To make the subtitle patch work, move 36.HEP and 36.SCR to the PATCHES directory. Move or delete all of the remaining *.HEP and *.SCR files, BUT LEAVE INSTALL.SCR . Also move or delete 92.MSG, 13086.P56, 92.SHM, 122.V56, 20131.V56, 9944.V56. These are all older duplicates of what is in the PATCHES folder.

4. Now open up RESOURCE.CFG with notepad and change language = 1 to language = 351

5. That's it for subtitles, now you can (and should!) move the files from Interlc -folder to PATCHES folder to remove the interlacing from FMV's

Neither the subtitle patch nor the no interlace patch affect the prologue video, not much loss there. Enjoy the oscar-grade acting and the high quality FMV's :thumbsup:

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within is now at GOG.com

Excellent news. Now I'll be able to play it without having to keep swapping CDs at moments of high drama. :biggrin:

Steve

Exactly. The CD swapping took the atmosphere out of the game when changing chapters or settings. Gabriel Knight 2 is a masterpiece. Good to see people still are playing it. I gave it a play through last year again and enjoyed every minute of it. :blink: I'm still hoping they make another Gabriel Knight game some time in the future. Jane Jenson is a great writer. She was a part of King's Quest 6 with ROberta Williams and the rest of the Gabriel Knight series that rocked.

Phantasmagoria is also on GOG. I loved that game too. Ahhh the old sierra classics from my generation... the nostalgia is great. That woman has some nice ta-tas.

Fools!

You should all be flocking to GoG (not reading this thread) as we herald the second coming of Sanitarium!

I've been playing this non-stop for the past 2 days. God, I've forgotten how sweet this game is. It's almost like the neglected, point-&-click cousin PS:T!

That, or disfigured, amnesiac protagonists searching for their identities in the wake of sinister schemes was strictly a 90s thing.

manthing2.jpg

Betrayal at Krondor came out 5 years before Return to Krondor, was written by Raymond Feist himself, and is abandonware.

For Drakensang or otherwise DSA fans, while Shadows over Riva may be on GoG too (not sure), the first two, Blade of Destiny & Star Trail are also abandonware. A nice thing about Drakensang: River of Time is that there are a number of references to the Nordland trilogy.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Fools!

You should all be flocking to GoG (not reading this thread) as we herald the second coming of Sanitarium!

I've been playing this non-stop for the past 2 days. God, I've forgotten how sweet this game is. It's almost like the neglected, point-&-click cousin PS:T!

That, or disfigured, amnesiac protagonists searching for their identities in the wake of sinister schemes was strictly a 90s thing.

Sanitarium is one of the best adventure games ever made. :lol:

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Sounds like my average Monday.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Does ROK have anything like the art direction, branching nonlinear storyline and written-by-real-writer-ness that Betrayal had?

I see some fugly 3D...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting on to play Gabriel Knight 2, I can't make up my mind - on one hand the live action movie sequences are really B-movie-ish and slow down the gameplay, but on the other hand, they're somehow charming in their own strange way and have a few zingers. I probably will get GK3 later on, though.