Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Just watched a Spanish horror movie called [Rec] (an american remake was released though I hear it's crap).

I'd really like to recommend this one, best film I've seen in quite a while. It's a "zombie" film, and it's filmed in shaky cam style. I'm normally not a fan of that, but they really handled it well here. One or two scenes really scared the crap out of me.

Very, very good stuff.

I've seen both and the American one is pretty much a carbon copy, which could be used as an argument to say it sucks - but they are basically equally good.

Fortune favors the bald.

New 'Pirates' film slated for 2011

Sep 11, 4:02 PM (ET)

By SANDY COHEN

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - Avast! Disney says a new "Pirates of the Caribbean" film is on yonder horizon.

Johnny Depp sailed onstage Thursday on a pirate ship in Anaheim, Calif., to help announce the forthcoming installment of Disney's blockbuster franchise.

Depp will reprise his role as Capt. Jack Sparrow in "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," slated for summer of 2011. It's the fourth in a series.

Chairman of Walt Disney Studios Richard Cook announced the news to about 5,000 fans on hand for D23, Disney's answer to Comic-Con. The first all-things-Disney convention runs through the weekend.

Watched Spirited Away.

It was interesting and complex, but had more of the anime weirdness I tend to not enjoy...a little more cultural divide, for me, or something. But also, it was just weird, plain and simple. I liked the No Face (I think it was) chr. but the main girl got on my nerves a lot.

Princess Mononoke is next...those two were the only ones Best Buy had besides Howls castle...

And since I don't follow anime at all, I'd never heard of Miyazaki before either...or if I did, I'd forgotten.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think they call that animation, anime is the really weird stuff. You might want to check out tonari no totoro, I think that might possibly be my favorite.

Nausica is ok I guess, but it's, well, a little old and not as well crafted as the newer stuff. Making an animated films a lot of the quality depends on budget. I thougth Chihiro was the good kind of weird, not the 'I don't understand what the hell is going on' kind.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I think they call that animation, anime is the really weird stuff. You might want to check out tonari no totoro, I think that might possibly be my favorite.

Nausica is ok I guess, but it's, well, a little old and not as well crafted as the newer stuff. Making an animated films a lot of the quality depends on budget. I thougth Chihiro was the good kind of weird, not the 'I don't understand what the hell is going on' kind.

Technically, if it's drawn, it's all animation. :)

I know there's some VERY bizarre anime, but when I use the term I'm speaking more about the actual drawing style - those huge eyes & shouting mouths & certain ways of drawing/indicating action, for example. The rest tends to be, for me, just cultural mythos differences.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Journey to the Center of the Earth, the remake.

Awful, just awful. And I like Brandon Frasier and the roles he does with action comedy. The acting was piss poor and the action sequences were so far out, I couldnt even switch off my brain.

Its entertaining in 3D; not sure it'd be watchable without the 3D though.

I watched City of the Living Dead to finish my backwards watching of the Fulci triology. This time there wasn't any throat ripping or eye gouging! I was shocked!

Also watched Graduation Day, one of the goofier slasher films of the late-70s/early 80s.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Dr. No.

The first Bond and the best Bond. No gimmicks or bad jokes just a solid spy movie. Holds its own against all them newfangled Bourne movies and stuff despite being what 40+ years old now?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Don't really care to pay theatre ticket prices, but I did recently purchase the premier season of the US television series "Shark". Wanted to see if there were any insults to my most redeaming characteristics! :banghead:

Truth is relevant...

Pick One...

Don't really care to pay theatre ticket prices, but I did recently purchase the premier season of the US television series "Shark". Wanted to see if there were any insults to my most redeaming characteristics! :aiee:

Yes, it's a great documentary. :)

If you like Shark, you might like The Unit, especially after the first season concludes, as there is a legal story line.

It doesn't matter what they think, it's what they can prove. ... The law is a lying contest and God help you if you're stuck in the middle.
and many others! :ermm:

Don't really care to pay theatre ticket prices, but I did recently purchase the premier season of the US television series "Shark". Wanted to see if there were any insults to my most redeaming characteristics! :)

Yes, it's a great documentary. o:)

I'm not too sure about the use of the word "documentary", perhaps more like "commentary"... I just share the name (although mine has the "e" on the end). I'm also a prosecutor, although not a "high-profile" case expert, so to speak (but never represented the "other side" like his character did). I do have a mock-up courtroom in my basement, though, in which to practice and perfect my chosen craft. That is, when I'm not trying to enrich young minds as to the many wonders in the world of Criminal Law! :bat:

If you like Shark, you might like The Unit, especially after the first season concludes, as there is a legal story line.
It doesn't matter what they think, it's what they can prove. ... The law is a lying contest and God help you if you're stuck in the middle.
and many others! :lol:

Truer words are seldom spoken, it is a sad, sad fact of life, I am afraid! :aiee:

[color="#FF0000"]You mean like[/color]

They say there is one law for the rich and another one for the poor. Well, that isn't true, there are no laws for the rich!

Being an ex-military man myself (in Intel), I have a huge fascination with the series! :ermm:

Edited by sharke

Truth is relevant...

Pick One...

My favourites (I watch them almost weekly, without fail) currently are "Serenity" and "Wall-E".

So many of the quotes in "Serenity" (and the "Firefly" series also created by Joss Wedon) fit my life. :brows: 'Nuff Said!

"Wall-E" is just a great feel-good film without a great deal of mindless blither (it actually works without much spoken dialogue)! I love that it pokes fun at America's obsessions with things like "Big Gulps", fast food, computers and laziness (IE the "hover chairs") I especially enjoyed the line about the people on the spaceship having possibly gained bone mass, when in reality, everyone has just gotten fat from being so lazy, overeating to the point that everything now comes "in a cup", and most people have their faces stuck in computers and "didn't realize we had a pool"-- :facepalm: as well as trash overtaking so much of the earth that everyone has to go out into space (on luxury cruises in spaceships, of course), and robots (like Wall-E himself) are left to "clean up the mess while you are away"... The captain actually thinks that you could "plant seeds and grow food like pizza"- I personally find the movie (and the entire concept) amusing! :w00t:

The future has not been written...

There is no fate but what we make for ourselves...

I wish that I could believe that...

I should feel safe, but I don't...

...So I live off the grid-- No phone, no address... No one and nothing can find me...

I've erased all connections to the past...

But as hard as I try, I can't erase my dreams... my nightmares...

I feel the weight of the future bearing down on me... a future I don't want...

So I keep running as fast as I can...

Anywhere... Nowhere...

Dr. No.

The first Bond and the best Bond. No gimmicks or bad jokes just a solid spy movie. Holds its own against all them newfangled Bourne movies and stuff despite being what 40+ years old now?

Eh...I think From Russia With Love is a better film, to be honest. The finale of Dr. No always plays goofily to me (and Quarrel's death works worse on screen than it does in the book).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My favourites (I watch them almost weekly, without fail) currently are "Serenity" and "Wall-E".

So many of the quotes in "Serenity" (and the "Firefly" series also created by Joss Wedon) fit my life. :brows: 'Nuff Said!

"Wall-E" is just a great feel-good film without a great deal of mindless blither (it actually works without much spoken dialogue)! I love that it pokes fun at America's obsessions with things like "Big Gulps", fast food, computers and laziness (IE the "hover chairs") I especially enjoyed the line about the people on the spaceship having possibly gained bone mass, when in reality, everyone has just gotten fat from being so lazy, overeating to the point that everything now comes "in a cup", and most people have their faces stuck in computers and "didn't realize we had a pool"-- :facepalm: as well as trash overtaking so much of the earth that everyone has to go out into space (on luxury cruises in spaceships, of course), and robots (like Wall-E himself) are left to "clean up the mess while you are away"... The captain actually thinks that you could "plant seeds and grow food like pizza"- I personally find the movie (and the entire concept) amusing! :w00t:

The end of Wall-E bugged me personally - how does a disposable consumerism society survive in a spaceship with finite resources (far more finite than were on Earth, which they left because they'd exhausted/garbage-fied)? How do they have the material to make new products when we see Giant Wall-R robots dumping consumer waste into space? How do any of the people stand when they get back on earth having (seemingly) never walked? Why do they even want to go back? The trash is all still there (Wall-E was the last working robot and the trash had been piled up, not actually removed from the planet) so how are they able to come back and survive? And with only one plant?

Its a cute film, but to me the first half works where as the second doesn't.

Dr. No.

Eh...I think From Russia With Love is a better film, to be honest. The finale of Dr. No always plays goofily to me (and Quarrel's death works worse on screen than it does in the book).

I can't argue.

I think Goldfinger, From Russia with Love and Dr. No. are all great. Most other Bond films I am pretty meh about.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Dr. No.

I can't argue.

I can :shifty: You are right about the gimmicks/bad jokes and the ending of FRWL after the fight on the train is weak and anti-climatic.

Dr. No is the more complete better film. The whole series "works worse on screen than it does in the book"

The train fight in FRWIl is pretty great. One of the more flat out brutal sequences in a Bond film.

The early Bond films have a hard edge to them that somewhat disappears in the later Connery and after films. Early Bond films play much more like the contemporary Bourne films unlike the later goofy lighter Bond films.

I don't really see the end of FRWL as weak myself although it is overshadowed by the train fight.

Although I will agree that the Fleming books are better than the film series by and large, Quarrel's death made me cringe the first time I saw Dr. No and hasn't improved with age.

I don't remember anything that out-and-out cringe worthy in FRWL.

That said I can also enjoy the campier Bond outings (double-taking pidgeon? Connery in Japanese disguise?) for what they are for the most part. But they're not a patch on the better, more serious adventures.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy