Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

I can't stand westerns for some reason.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

3:10 to Yuma is one of the worst movies I've ever sat through. It was more like a fantasy than a western. Guy gets a gutshot and shrugs it off. Another guy runs around jumping from building to building with a prosthetic leg. Unlikable characters.

:rolleyes:

Try the original from (1957), you might prefer it as it seems to be missing what you did not like in the remake.

Saw GI Joe, enjoyed it for the most part. Note to studios: If you're going to screw with established characters, let people know how you're screwing it up months in advance so we can get used to it before seeing it. Thats what GI Joe did. I had already got all my whining out about Baroness being Cobra Commander's sister and Scarlett being Ripcord's love interest and Cobra Commander's costume being a complete abortion that I didn't care once I was able to see it.

Well... I still cared about Cobra Commander's costume being terrible. It not even just terrible compared to classic CC's look, its one of the worst villain costumes in the history of film.

Also, Joseph Gordon Levitt had a perfect Cobra Commander voice, and they ruined it when they put him in his mask and made it all deep.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Saw GI Joe, enjoyed it for the most part. Note to studios: If you're going to screw with established characters, let people know how you're screwing it up months in advance so we can get used to it before seeing it. Thats what GI Joe did. I had already got all my whining out about Baroness being Cobra Commander's sister and Scarlett being Ripcord's love interest and Cobra Commander's costume being a complete abortion that I didn't care once I was able to see it.

Iron Man knock offs slow mo'ing through buses and explosions, and the lack of Yo Joe shouts didn't make it obvious enough for you? :p

I hope the movie stays true to the several G.I. Joe sticker books from Panini I had around twenty years ago.

If I search around my attic, I'd probably find some of the G.I. Joe 'action figures' (+ jeeps & tanks) from around that time too. There was a red ninja chick with a staff who was pretty cool. Ah well...

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I was re-watching House of Sand and Fog.......

ugh... that ending kills me.

Why would you re-watch Sand and Fog? Crazy Man. Last film I saw was Lesbian Vampire Killers! Silly film, but reasonably entertaining. Saw Alien Trespass at the weekend too and the same applies for that. B Movies FTW.

Edited by Keturah

The Visitor (2007/I) - Richard Jenkins is awesome, I could watch this guy eat a bag of chips and be entertained. Good flick some might find it dull, but I enjoyed it. Strong characters with a thought provoking plot that allowed the actors to shine.

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008) - Reminded me of a bad D&D story, elemental mages, undead and yeti. Not a good film but enough action to keep me watching. It's not as if the other films in the series were Ben-Hur. 4/10

Uh, I can't even remember the last film I saw... the latest Harry Potter, maybe? It was alright and the best since The Prisoner of Azkaban, but the gay subtext was kind of smothering. I halfway expected Harry to drop to his knees and perform mouth-to-mouth on Ron. Still, you can't argue against underage drinking and homoerotic tutoring. Felt a bit like a British new-wave film.

PS:

AnnaShaffer3.jpg

The wife and I have the dvd sets to Eureka. I like the show more as I keep watching it. The female deputy, a hot chic of course, is a former commando. Ho hum. Of course the hot female character is. But wait! Her brute force approach does always work. The new sherrif, whom she's whipped up on a few times, has got a more thoughtful approach and that's why he's the sherrif. The show is a nice diversion, but nothing all that serious and yet the parts that are a bit more serious can be quite touching. A fun show all around.

Yeah I went on a binge and watched all 3 seasons within like a week and a half. I thought it would be kind of hokey and silly but really it's an excellent series. Most of the father/daughter stuff is pretty melodramatic for me but its never to the point where I have to pause or skip. Really wacky and sometimes pretty interesting.

Btw has anyone seen this show Hell's Kitchen. I started watching it recently, they have like the last 2 full seasons on hulu and I think its one of the greatest things since sliced bread. I mean this English dude is so awesome calling chicks fat cows and just verbally and emotionally abusing people for their mistakes not to mention the ridiculous over production, it's just tv gold. I love it.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I've only seen the commercials. I think comedies have to be careful with drama. I mean, even a little can go over the top and some of the best comedic actors can't do drama very well in the first place. Add those two together and drama can kill a comedy. A little is fine. It helps develop the character. Eureka isn't a comedy, per se, but same thing. Keep things generally light and the times you do add drama it will have more impact.

We have some comedy called Marlo and Me or something like that. We'll probably watch it tonight.

Well... I still cared about Cobra Commander's costume being terrible. It not even just terrible compared to classic CC's look, its one of the worst villain costumes in the history of film.

Also, Joseph Gordon Levitt had a perfect Cobra Commander voice, and they ruined it when they put him in his mask and made it all deep.

Saw it on Tuesday and I have to agree. Overall the movie was moderately enjoyable and as someone who really doesn't know that much about GI Joe in the first place, many of the changes either didn't bother me or went totally unnoticed. There were really only two things that bugged me. Cobra Commander was absolutely horrible. I hated his costume for much of the movie and the mask he put on at the end was quite possibly the worst mask design I've ever seen. The other thing that bugged me was Snake Eyes. Did they just paint his face black? What ever they did it looked really weird. I didn't notice it most of the time, but whenever you got a closeup of his face it looked odd.

The wife and I have the dvd sets to Eureka. I like the show more as I keep watching it.

i love it. the last episode is working out to be a two parter, finishing up tomorrow night i guess. it's kooky, and carter is hilarious overall.

now that in plain sight is on hiatius till NEXT FREAKING SPRING and burn notice isn't on till the winter, all i've got left are eureka and leverage (need to watch last night's episode, too.)

anyway, on topic:

i watched fermat's room last night. it's a subtitled flick, probably italian or spanish to begin with, i don't know enough spanish to recognize the differences immediately (particularly when you're reading the subtitles and have to think about them for reasons i'll explain). anyway, it's sort of a cube kinda flick, but a little bit more intense and, well, a little bit more meaning behind what's happening. ultimately, four mathemeticians get trapped in a room and the occasionally have to answer questions - within a minute for each question - or the room shrinks continually until they provide the correct answer. the questions are logic puzzles. this is why you have to pay attention because they are not real simple ones, and me being me, had to attempt to solve each before the victims did. :p nice twist in the end, though there was a plot hole or two they did not resolve or accurately work out. very simple set, almost entirely shot in the shrinking room. some standard high stupidity on occasion toward the end, too, but overall, a flick worth watching. it was on sundance.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Does Leverage get good taks? Because I watched like the first 3 or 4 episodes and wasn't all that impressed, in fact I thought it was pretty bad. It was very often cheesy, over dramatic and just plain dumb at times. I enjoyed the pilot for sure but the horse and disabled soldier episodes just utterly destroyed it for me. I mean I can suspend belief for chicks doing James Bond repelling down sky scrapers and breaking into crazy stuff or a 20 something black dude that can hack your ipod into raping you or even a guy who can beat 5 guys with automatic weapons with just his bare hands. But what I can't suspend is off loading a half ton of unmarked bills to some generic pc black woman doctor and a random crippled soldier. Do you they realize the tax implications of that not to mention the legality? Yeah all the sudden they have like 5 million dollars in cash. Every government agency from the IRS to the DEA won't have a problem with that one.

Pisses me off.

I watched The Machinist and Transsiberian. Well I watched like 3/4's of The Machinist and like 1/3rd of Transsiberian. The first was kind of hard to watch becuase it was down right insane and weird. Seeing Christian Bale grotesquely internment camp skinny was scary. :'( Transsiberian was just pretty boring. Somewhat unfair to both movies but I just wasn't in any mood for watching an intense psychological thriller which both kind of where. Thus I won't give out any ratings.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Oh, you have to take Leverage with a huge grain of salt. I enjoy the show quite a bit also, but I noticed a lot of the same things and just figured I'd ignore them. Of course, I can't ignore them, so I notice them every time and then just put the idea aside. It's almost like magic realism. You have to take this completely crazy premise and accept it and then the other stuff works just fine.

Does Leverage get good taks?

based on what you said, no. well, it has remained rather cheesy and implausible. we recognize that and watch mainly for the character interactions. they're funny, that's all. the plots are way too contrived, and overly dramatic, as you've noted, and actually a bit sappy, in my opinion. these people are criiminals, not do-gooders. career criminals don't suddenly change and give away the millions they can steal simply because it felt good once... but, it's still entertaining. i just ignore the plots.

and, i should say, the season finale for in plain sight was one of the most powerful tv shows i've ever watched. totally floored me and my wife.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Saw directors cut of Watchmen. It was somewhat plodding in the first half but picked up for me after that...partly, I think, because by then the flashbacks had done their job re: characterization. The guy playing Walter Kovacs/Rorschach was great, and I loved his character. I think his character alone made the film, for me. Not the best movie, but a B or so for it's genre, imo.

Now, I haven't read the GN...the new styles haven't appealed and I've ignored them for a couple decades. But I went to the bookstore and bought Watchmen.

I preferred the movie, but not because it was all that different (except for a few key points) and not because I didn't like the story itself. The illustrative & narrative style/presentation in annoyed & distracted me I guess...along with the large text info segments. I think those would have worked better at the end of GN as appendix reads. Plus, Rorschach felt flatter and less compelling on paper, w/out a lot more 'inner thought' insights like a text novel might have...he was certainly less frightening/pathos inducing.

Anyway...an all-text novelization I might enjoy a lot more than the GN...is there one?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm pretty sure there isn't a novelization of the movie based on the comic, but I could be wrong.

So is the extended version only available for Blu-Ray? I've yet to see the two disc regular dvd anywhere, although I haven't really looked.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a novelization of the movie based on the comic, but I could be wrong.

So is the extended version only available for Blu-Ray? I've yet to see the two disc regular dvd anywhere, although I haven't really looked.

No clue. Cable on-demand had the HD-extended version for "rent" and that's how I saw it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts