Borderlands

Purkake

Apparently we don't have a Borderlands thread.

It's amazing how a totally unknown game found it's style and embraced it. A year ago I didn't even know it existed, but now it's one of the more exiting things coming this fall.

Here's the latest trailer

52136_Borderlands-06.jpg52133_Borderlands-03.jpg

Edited by Purkake

Is that in-game footage?

The dancing robot was cute though.

I don't know if a game can actually contain 87 bazillion guns.

I don't think bazillion is even a real word.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Is that in-game footage?

I believe it is, stylizing can really make stuff look awesome. (it also says gameplay trailer...)

The guns are supposed to be made from a bunch of different looking parts, so you have like ten different barrels for a shogun, ten different stocks etc. It's a bit like Diablo with a bunch of random stuff that has varying stats.

Edited by Purkake

Is that in-game footage?

I believe it is, stylizing can really make stuff look awesome. (it also says gameplay trailer...)

The guns are supposed to be made from a bunch of different looking parts, so you have like ten different barrels for a shogun, ten different stocks etc. It's a bit like Diablo with a bunch of random stuff that has varying stats.

If that is the way the actual game will look, it is pretty good.

I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe it'd much of an crpg. I saw INterstate 76 crossed with a multiplsyer focused shooter. Or, as you said, Diablo. With guns.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If that is the way the actual game will look, it is pretty good.

I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe it'd much of an crpg. I saw INterstate 76 crossed with a multiplsyer focused shooter. Or, as you said, Diablo. With guns.

It's just something new and interesting, kinda like Prince of Persia was last year(in terms of art style at least). I'm interested to see what they do with it.(Instead of seeing the boredom that is Modern Warfare 2[a realistic military shooter? yawn], for example)

Is it only co-op play, or can it also be single player? I've not heard of this game before. Looks interesting.

I doubt that they would make a co-op only game. It's probably single player with optional co-op or AI companions and multiplayer with different modes. Both single player and multiplayer are confirmed.

Edited by Purkake

Is it only co-op play, or can it also be single player? I've not heard of this game before. Looks interesting.

I doubt that they would make a co-op only game. It's probably single player with optional co-op or AI companions and multiplayer with different modes. Both single player and multiplayer are confirmed.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for it, and follow player comments after it comes out. It looks like it could be quite fun.

Anybody know what song that is playing in the demo?

It's a got a good feel which helps the demo a lot.

There seems to be a sense of humor as well.

I'm guessing from reading this thread that noone actually reads the "Games you are looking forward to" thread..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm guessing from reading this thread that noone actually reads the "Games you are looking forward to" thread..

You would be guessing wrong then.

That actually prompted me to search for a Borderlands thread, but I found none so I created this one. Sorry to steal you thunder, but this game deserves it's own thread.

Anybody know what song that is playing in the demo?

It's a got a good feel which helps the demo a lot.

There seems to be a sense of humor as well.

DJ Champion - No Heaven

Edited by Purkake

I don't know how Borderlands looked before, but right now it looks much better than Fallout 3, that's for sure. WHich is the last new game I played, so the comparison.

I'm still not clear on the rpg part of it.

Is it an rpg like Diablo? Where once you get enough XP from kiling things you get a level up and can add points to a stat or an ability tree? Or are there real skills like lockpicking and speech? I'm assuming that it is the former, since that appears to be all that is required to assign the designation rpg to a game these days, but it would be much better if it was the latter.

Wikipedia says the game has 160 quests? WIth that number I am assuming the bulk of them are pretty randomized and generic fetch/kill/deliver quests. WHich can be abbreviated for convenience sake as F/K/D quests.

It's a shooter with stats, I'd say.

WHich is cool. Some of my favorite games fall into this category, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, The Witcher, Diablo. But they all, except Diablo, have a fairly strong core narrative. And the only game I've ever played that does the Diablo-style of gameplay well is Diablo. SO I'm curious if Borderlands is bringing more to the table than just a Diablo rip-off style gameplay.