Modifying the Face

I've been asking several times but have never gotten a definite answer. I need a DEV or anyone on the team to answer this very simple question: Can we customize the facial features and have a different Mike Thorton face? In every video I see the same bland face being used. Sometimes he's dressed up differently with different hair styles and facial hair slapped on, but it's still the same default face. For some reason I just can't stand this face. It's a little offsetting enough that we can't even play as a female, but to be forced into using this face is going to ruin the experience for me. One of the main things I've always looked forward to in this game was the customization options, but if you can't even customize the protagonist's own face then what's the point?

I'll still buy the game regardless, but I'll just be a little disappointed.

I'm guessing you were born well after the age of 8/16/32-bit games and isometric RPGs.

Kids these days.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I'm guessing you were born well after the age of 8/16/32-bit games and isometric RPGs.

Kids these days.

No. I have just grown to prefer certain options.

It's like once you have high speed internet, why would you ever go back to dial-up?

You'll just have one default face which you can modify by putting add ons like beard and such.

That's a damper ;)

Edited by Silvernite

I believe you can. When you look in the mirror, one of the tabs is facial features. This seems like it might be approximate facial build, eyebrow height, etc. But then, if you don't like the face, you can cover it up pretty well. In the new Dev walkthrough, it has MT lookin like a terrorist.

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

One of the main things I've always looked forward to in this game was the customization options, but if you can't even customize the protagonist's own face then what's the point?

I agree, but it looks like the face is fixed. I was hoping they were going to pull a Bioware on us and reveal a deep character customization system after showing a default character for so long but no dice. This is a surprising choice on Obsidian's part. Some things look very promising while others are really disappointing. I was initially excited for this game but now I'm firmly in the wait and see camp.

One of the main things I've always looked forward to in this game was the customization options, but if you can't even customize the protagonist's own face then what's the point?

I agree, but it looks like the face is fixed. I was hoping they were going to pull a Bioware on us and reveal a deep character customization system after showing a default character for so long but no dice. This is a surprising choice on Obsidian's part. Some things look very promising while others are really disappointing. I was initially excited for this game but now I'm firmly in the wait and see camp.

I find it funny how the tagline is "Your weapon is choice" yet that seems to fall apart in terms of customizing Mike's face. I'm just surprised at this direction that they're taking. At least in KOTOR2 we could still choose between different head options.

No. I have just grown to prefer certain options.

As have I, however the whole "I really thought this game was going to be great, but now that I don't have 27 options for eyebrows, I think I hate it" tantrum is a bit childish.

I certainly don't speak for Obsidian, but the thought occurs to me that anyone who isn't interested in story first might not be part of their target demographic.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I find it funny how the tagline is "Your weapon is choice" yet that seems to fall apart in terms of customizing Mike's face. I'm just surprised at this direction that they're taking. At least in KOTOR2 we could still choose between different head options.

You want to defeat your enemies with your face?

As have I, however the whole "I really thought this game was going to be great, but now that I don't have 27 options for eyebrows, I think I hate it" tantrum is a bit childish.

Correction: 27 options for faces :verymad:

You want to defeat your enemies with your face?

I'm surprised that you couldn't. With a face like that, you could scare enemies into submission.

Edited by Silvernite

You can customize Mike in a lot of ways, including hair, eyes, skin tone, beards, glasses, hats, and armor/outfits. If you're looking for Oblivion-style sliders to morph the facial features, however, then no, that's not something we've included.

Matthew Rorie

Yeah and only two of which weren't absolutely hideous. Go Jedi Jesus!

Edited by Deraldin

You can customize Mike in a lot of ways, including hair, eyes, skin tone, beards, glasses, hats, and armor/outfits. If you're looking for Oblivion-style sliders to morph the facial features, however, then no, that's not something we've included.

Ah, well thanks mucho for clarifying. I guess I'll just make do with the lumberjack beard and pretend I'm Santa Claus (hopefully we can change the beard color to white)

Yeah and only two of which weren't absolutely hideous. Go Jedi Jesus!

Soul Patch Boy FTW! :verymad:

The woman head models looked pretty good, honestly.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Hmmm.

Is facial customization in any way indicative of the quality of a game?

Oblivion had lots of facial options but was a wretched and soul-numbing game experience. Deus Ex had no facial customizations other than an all over skin change and was a pretty good game even when playing a weird albino JC Denton.

Sure, more options for the gamer is usually more fun, but doesn't really affect the actual fun of playing the game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Deus Ex had no facial customizations other than an all over skin change and was a pretty good game even when playing a weird albino JC Denton.

Not the best example, considering Deus Ex isn't nearly as advanced in terms of graphics as recent games.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Deus Ex had no facial customizations other than an all over skin change and was a pretty good game even when playing a weird albino JC Denton.

Not the best example, considering Deus Ex isn't nearly as advanced in terms of graphics as recent games.

True, but I think his point (and the point I tried to raise) still stands. If facial customization is going to limit someone's ability to enjoy the game, then that person has issues.

Yet I still didn't care, and still don't care in the latest super graphics games where the PC is a guy. I think you place too much emphasis on how much you think the average person cares. It's not like we can choose a girl - THEN it'd be fun. :*

You can customize Mike in a lot of ways, including hair, eyes, skin tone, beards, glasses, hats, and armor/outfits.

HALLELUJAH!!! That's good enough for me. In addition to clothing and hair the eyes and skin tone closed the deal.

I think you place too much emphasis on how much you think the average person cares. It's not like we can choose a girl - THEN it'd be fun. :*

So true, you speak with the wisdom of many enlightened men.

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

I think you place too much emphasis on how much you think the average person cares. It's not like we can choose a girl - THEN it'd be fun. :*

So true, you speak with the wisdom of many enlightened men.

And you have a Burn Notice avatar. I'd say we're square. :biggrin:

Sure, more options for the gamer is usually more fun
I actually find that sort of customization more of a chore than actual fun, as it ends up with me wasting time finding a combination of features that isn't hideous for something that has zero effect on gameplay. Choosing between premade heads a la KotOR is good enough for me, but even if that's not present, I won't miss it.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Sure, more options for the gamer is usually more fun
I actually find that sort of customization more of a chore than actual fun, as it ends up with me wasting time finding a combination of features that isn't hideous for something that has zero effect on gameplay. Choosing between premade heads a la KotOR is good enough for me, but even if that's not present, I won't miss it.

*Nods in agreement*