Divinity 2

Morgoth

So, I spent some 4 hours or maybe more with the game, and actually wanted to play more before I write down some impressions, but alas, I got stuck so I'll write it now. I'm not sure I can continue playing before some sort of balancing patch gets released. Because balancing is most horrid in the game right now. But before I start with the negativity, I first want to make clear that Divinity 2 is a really very enjoyable experience, despite the many glitches. You really feel that the developers put a ton of love and detail into the game, especially quests, writing and world design shine through this rough gem.

Yeah, so, after the intro, you start with the character creation. Choose gender, face style/tatoo...and that's it. Well, that was quick. You get to learn the basics very quickly. Choose between mage, warrior or ranger and test it on some goblins, mind you though once you leave the tutorial area you can freely develop your character. There are no classes in Divinity 2, instead you use skills appropriate for your taste (priest, warrior, mage, ranger, dragonslayer - you can of course also mix, but beware, specialization may be necessary), after each level-up you can choose only one, plus you put stats into Health, Willpower, Strength, Agility and Intelligence.

What is odd is that you become a dragonslayer within the first 5 minutes of the game and get the mind-reading feature "for free". Normally, you'd have to earn this, but hey... After you leave the tutorial area, the actual game starts. A dragon has been sighted in the peacefully village of Rubbledale (?). Your collueges are off to search the dragon, while you start investigating the village dwellers.

So you get to talk to people and start accepting quests. Mostly quite fedex stuff (i.e. get me goblin hearts and I'll pay for you; go find the tower and talk to blabla). Sometimes, you get a choice how to solve the quest. I.e. turn the tide around for a discount, or read the secret love letter of the farmer woman to unleash some drama, etc. You also get to save a guard from a bunch of gobblins. Very funny. You can also free a prisoner and tell him the captain setup a trap, or not, and you'll be compensated with either items, money or XP. I haven't tried mind-reading yet (it's a feature you get during conversation), because it substracts XP, but it's also good for a laugh sometimes. Yes, the humor god thanks doesn't come too short. Kill a bunch of cute rabbits, and as a penalty, you'll have to deal with a monster rabbit later. Writing is also very good, definitely better than the horrid Witcher or Gothic series. I haven't met any

Thanks for the review.

I enjoyed the quirkiness of the original game, but find Larian's take on the vanilla fantasy genre a bit staid. What bemuses me is the balancing issue - how on earth did that get past QA?

Thank goodness for early adopters like you - I find myself buying games months after release now, 'cuz that means there'll be a patch to put right the release-version right. For example, I'm only just starting to consider buying Empire: Total War (if they've disabled the Steam-only nonsense and only then).

Are there joinable NPCs, by the way?

sonsofgygax.JPG

German releases tend to be buggy but they fix many things in later english ones. So i'm not really worried about balance but more about that "GoWlike combat".

1.13 killed off Ja2.

To my ears (eyes?) it sounds fantastic. And I enjoy difficult games! All Gothic games are difficult.

I can't wait for this to be released in English. Thanks for the updates though, Morgoth. Try not to spoil too much since I probably won't be able to stop myself from reading this thread.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What bemuses me is the balancing issue - how on earth did that get past QA?

Dude, it's friggin germany. They'll release it as long as it starts on more than one computer.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

So, I spent some 4 hours or maybe more with the game, and actually wanted to play more before I write down some impressions, but alas, I got stuck so I'll write it now. I'm not sure I can continue playing before some sort of balancing patch gets released. Because balancing is most horrid in the game right now. But before I start with the negativity, I first want to make clear that Divinity 2 is a really very enjoyable experience, despite the many glitches. You really feel that the developers put a ton of love and detail into the game, especially quests, writing and world design shine through this rough gem.

Excellent! Thanks dude - didn't even know the game had been released yet.

I'm not sure this game is going to be as difficult as Morgoth thought at first. Gamestar (a european gaming mag) has a review and one of their complaints was that it was too easy.

That might be true later in the game, but in the early levels, the game is excruciating hard. You'll know what I mean when you want to get into the tower to meet Lovis....

To my ears (eyes?) it sounds fantastic. And I enjoy difficult games! All Gothic games are difficult.

I can't wait for this to be released in English. Thanks for the updates though, Morgoth. Try not to spoil too much since I probably won't be able to stop myself from reading this thread.

Funny, to me it sounds horrible.

Funny, to me it sounds horrible.

BUT YOU'RE FROM SWEDEN.

What bemuses me is the balancing issue - how on earth did that get past QA?

Welcome to Europe. Customers living in the same country the developers hail from are QA.

20795.jpg

Played another 5 hours, and it's been fantastic. The balancing issue seems to be less a problem now, but here and there you get thrown into a battle that destroys you in no time. The AI is really kinda good. They always attack in pairs of three. One melee warrior, one ranger, and one mage. Mage and ranger stay in the background, and when you try to attack them, they always seek for more distance, or they run off and get reinforcement. Really nasty.

Finally beat the Maskos Temple, and now I'm on the Keeperisland. Very touching. It won't be long until I can assume a dragon form.