CPU Cooler for E8400

Gorgon

Because of the hot weather my CPU cooler has been making a lot of noise when playing games. Then last night when I was playing Clear Sky it went completely overboard, sounding like a jet engine taking off, I had to stop playing. It's the same with other games. CPU stays around 25 C though, so it's not failing, its merely getting extremely noisy for some reason.

So, recommendations on a quiet CPU cooler, that is, quiet both under low and high loads.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Because of the hot weather my CPU cooler has been making a lot of noise when playing games. Then last night when I was playing Clear Sky it went completely overboard, sounding like a jet engine taking off, I had to stop playing. It's the same with other games. CPU stays around 25 C though, so it's not failing, its merely getting extremely noisy for some reason.

So, recommendations on a quiet CPU cooler, that is, quiet both under low and high loads.

It went overboard in Denmark, at night? It's not the hot weather that's the problem.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well that follows, so, whats quiet at high loads. I have bought Zalman in the past, and have been happy with them, but they sometimes have issues with very low RPMS, below what the CPU fan timer thinks is acceptable and once in a while it would auto shutdown at low loads.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Well that follows, so, whats quiet at high loads. I have bought Zalman in the past, and have been happy with them, but they sometimes have issues with very low RPMS, below what the CPU fan timer thinks is acceptable and once in a while it would auto shutdown at low loads.

I generally don't run CPU's fast enough that they need super cooling so no clue sorry. :*

It has been quite hot in Denmark in July and at night too. While the air isn't very hot, there hasn't been much of a wind and the old house works like a stone oven heating all night.

I'e never had a Zalman cooler, which were actually quiet under any other setting than the minimal, but everyone of them was completely useless, when cooling was really needed. They look nice, but that's all they do. I suggest getting something like the Thermalright SI-128 or one of the Thermalright Ultra-120 or any other model designed for a 120mm fan.

(Signatures: disabled) 

I haven't had any issues with the Zalman I use for my 8400.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I use a Coolermaster V8 and it works great... However, its rather large (I had to remove a 120mm fan from my case, and its not a small case) and it can get loud... But I generally recommend Coolermaster...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

• 4 weeks later...

So after some trial and error it turns out that it's the fan on my radeon 4850 that is making the howling noise. No sound when it's doing virus scan on quick mode (100% CPU load)

How hard is it to replace the stock fan on one of these things. I don't have a lot of modder's savvy.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

while i don't have any expertise with radeon, i'm pretty sure it's no different than any other video card. you'll simply have to take the case off and remove the fan and/or heatsink (if they are attached). shouldn't be difficult. may just need to be cleaned out. my vid card is the dirtiest component in my case (i've been mucking with a noisy system lately, too, but it was case fans causing the problem).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

while i don't have any expertise with radeon, i'm pretty sure it's no different than any other video card. you'll simply have to take the case off and remove the fan and/or heatsink (if they are attached). shouldn't be difficult.

That was my experiences with replacing the cooling on an ATI 4970x2 too. Just make sure you keep track of all those darn little screws and have some thermal paste handy before starting :)

I cheated a bit and read the instruction pamphlet that came with the cooling though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So there are replacement (well one would hope superior) cooling units out there guaranteed to work on my card ?

I assume this kind of operation would void the warranty as well. I could, I suppose, just send the card back, but I just know that would take forever and a day. I would need a set of tiny screwdrivers as well. I don't have anything like that lying around.

Although buying new tools is always nice.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Xigmatech

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

How do I know what a voltage regulator looks like.

do you have any information other than "voltage regulator?" in particular, a part number or chip manufacturer.

absent that information, it depends. more than likely it will be near the power connector (assuming the radeon uses that extra connector), and it will look like a simple chip with not very many leads, and possibly a large heatsink on it. the heatsink on a high power regulator, however, is not what you think. it's often more like a tab, and that's the part that is soldered to the board (with 3 to 5 leads coming out the other side).

here's an example of a TO-220 regulator package as i just described. the heatsink is the little tab thing on the top.

here's an example of a regulator that comes in several dozen formats as well 5 different packages.

there could also be some little ones (like the SOT-223 package) in various places used for precision power control/isolation of certain circuits, and they could be anywhere on the board.

with more information, i could provide a better answer.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

He could stick his tongue on it and see if it tastes "funny" :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

An update. Deciding to give the inside of the box a good cleaning I discovered that the filter on the big case fan situated next to the GFX slot was more a solid mass of accumulated dust than a filter. I took it out, and now the machine runs with quite tolerable noise levels. The R4850 has an only just capable cooler and doesn't respond well at all to bad airflow.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.