A Song of Ice and Fire

Oerwinde

So theres been some movement on the ASOIAF series at HBO, a pilot is currently in production and has some fantastic casting so far.

The Cast So Far:

Sean Bean - Eddard Stark

Peter Dinklage - Tyrion Lannister

Mark Addy - Robert Baratheon

Kit Harrington - Jon Snow

Harry Lloyd - Viserys Targaryen

Jack Gleeson - Joffrey Baratheon

Well, I pictured someone a little more deformed than Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, but I guess we'll have to wait to see him in costume. Sean Bean's casting had me jumping for joy. The other two... we'll have to see.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Dinklage i knew about - and think he could pull off Tyrion well enough

but Sean Bean as Eddark Stark? to be perfectly honest that's pretty much exactly how i pictured Ned ;)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I actually have no idea of what this series is or what is about and why it is special.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I actually have no idea of what this series is or what is about and why it is special.

Its an HBO series based on the book series A Song of Ice and Fire. Each season is going to be based on one of the books of the series, the first season being A Game of Thrones.

It hasn't been picked up for a season yet, its still in the pilot phase, but there are high hopes. Being a low magic world there shouldn't be a lot of expensive visual effects except maybe the direwolves, and hopefully they learned their lesson from Rome to keep costs down so the show can keep going if it has good ratings(Rome had great ratings but was too expensive to keep going)

Why ratings matter on a commercial free network I have no idea.

Devastatorsig.jpg

OUTRAGE!

Andy Hamilton would be absolutely ****ing perfect for Tyrion the dwarf dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgK6nX7iA4

He's the dwarf with the bald head and beard.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I haven't read the books (well I read the first, years and years ago) but if this is turned into an HBO series, I might have to order HBO again for that year. :p

I think a lot of books, fantasy or otherwise, could be well served by a series-long format vs. the 2-3 hr film or 4-5 hr mini-series. Will be interesting to see how this develops, if it could start a new trend, etc.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The cast so far is very, very promising. Although I hadn't quite imagined Sean Bean as Ned Stark, he should be a good match.

I plan on reading most of the books during my two week summer vacation. I almost finished the first one.

so wait, they're doing a show about one of the slowest moving series' I've ever read?

Not saying the series isn't good, just that it takes AGES to get started and then keep going after certain events.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Can anybody do a Haiku length resume of what the book is about please?

The events leading up to a civil war.

There are other things going on, but the civil war is what is mainly played up at the moment.

So why make a TV series of it? Genuinely curious.

Because it's a LOT more complicated than the civil war. Family strife, incest, four kings for the crown, rampant policitcs, and manipulations are all a very large part of the tale.

Dark Age England, with a slight toss of magic, ****ty romances, long drawn and overly descriptive narrations of food, and dragons. Someone once said it was like War of the Roses take that for what its worth.

That said it's pretty good, I read all the books in one week when I first got a hold of them.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Dark Age England, with a slight toss of magic, ****ty romances, long drawn and overly descriptive narrations of food, and dragons. Someone once said it was like War of the Roses take that for what its worth.

That said it's pretty good, I read all the books in one week when I first got a hold of them.

I've found that they don't do well on second reads because he wastes so much time describing things that you end up skipping pages of description or useless fluff.

I've found that they don't do well on second reads because he wastes so much time describing things that you end up skipping pages of description or useless fluff.

I found them better on a second reading.

Anyway, the series should appeal more to you than the books then because instead of describing it all it will just show you.

I just wish the old bastard would finish the damn books already. Its been like 8 years since a Storm of Swords, and then A Dance with Dragons was sposed to come a couple years after, instead we got half the book with A Feast for Crows and its been like 3 years since that. How can a professional writer take 9 years to write a damn book?

Devastatorsig.jpg

I just hope he doesn't pull a Wheel of Time on us and croak first.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

I just hope he doesn't pull a Wheel of Time on us and croak first.

Thats a terrible thing to say but it is on the mind of everyone who is a fan of his work. 8)

Meanwhile, Terry Goodkind will live and churn out his unoriginal and painfully bland books forever.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So why make a TV series of it? Genuinely curious.

Because the whole of american TV and movie business is completely out of original ideas? HBO is above the rest, Deadwood was good but apparently not good enough when you can make "The Sopranos in Middle Earth".

Because just like in video games, its easier to make money off a license than it is to come up with an original IP.

Devastatorsig.jpg