Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 Will Not Have LAN Support

Multiplayer IS lan, as far as Im concerned. You want your buddies right there with you, everything else is just an emergency solution. This is an increadibly stupid move on Blizzards part.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Bah, sucks. Hopefully someone will come up with a hack to enable it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Starcraft was always about the singleplayer campaign to me, and Diablo about the Bnet. So no loss for me there. Both games are day 1 purchases.

This.

People need to whine about more important stuff.

See, this attitude pisses me off. You spent most of your time with the campaign. That was the draw for you. That's fine. But because I spent most of my time playing 8 player LAN matches with friends, my opinion and wants are somehow less important than yours? :down:

See, this attitude pisses me off. You spent most of your time with the campaign. That was the draw for you. That's fine. But because I spent most of my time playing 8 player LAN matches with friends, my opinion and wants are somehow less important than yours? :down:

You dare speak out against a decision made by Blizzard, that's why! :p

So, wonder how many ads we'll see on this bnet 2.0 thing ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Starcraft was always about the singleplayer campaign to me, and Diablo about the Bnet. So no loss for me there. Both games are day 1 purchases.

This.

Who said it was less important? I was just agreeing with Morgoth...

The only difference is that everyone needs a copy of the game and your network will have to be connected to the internet. The everyone-must-have-a-copy thing has been around for a while now.

This.

Who said it was less important? I was just agreeing with Morgoth...

The only difference is that everyone needs a copy of the game and your network will have to be connected to the internet. The everyone-must-have-a-copy thing has been around for a while now.

That is the biggest problem... as Magister Lajciak said, there are many ISP in my country which do not allow to connect more than 1 PC itno their internet unless you pay higher programme... That in other words means, that if you bring a router and connect 7 your friend into your internet account there is high probability, that next month you get penalty of around 1000 EUR for breaking the rules of your connection...

No LAN for SC2 is aswell no buy for me unless they release the SC2 Battlechest with all Single Players Campaingns in a single box... Diablo 3... i still have to think about it... i actualy never played Diablo 2 on LAN nor batlle.net so this might not be an issue for me... SC and War was in 95% cases pure LAN game for me with 4 to 10 people in one place on almost daily basis...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

That is the biggest problem... as Magister Lajciak said, there are many ISP in my country which do not allow to connect more than 1 PC itno their internet unless you pay higher programme... That in other words means, that if you bring a router and connect 7 your friend into your internet account there is high probability, that next month you get penalty of around 1000 EUR for breaking the rules of your connection...

No LAN for SC2 is aswell no buy for me unless they release the SC2 Battlechest with all Single Players Campaingns in a single box... Diablo 3... i still have to think about it... i actualy never played Diablo 2 on LAN nor batlle.net so this might not be an issue for me... SC and War was in 95% cases pure LAN game for me with 4 to 10 people in one place on almost daily basis...

Never heard of that before, sounds crazy. How can they stop you from using a router/switch?

Anyway, who carries their computer around anyway? Just play from the comfort of your own house with voice chat?

Edited by Purkake

Never heard of that before, sounds crazy.

My ISP has those rules too - there are many like that around here.

How can they stop you from using a router/switch?

Computing is not my field, so I don't know: they might or might not be able to stop you in practice. Than again, what can Blizzard or another game company do to stop you from simply downloading its game and using a LAN hack to play it locally? I am sure you see my point - regardless of whether they can stop you in practice, it is illegal to do so.

Anyway, who carries their computer around anyway? Just play from the comfort of your own house with voice chat?

Well, we like to play and socialize at the same time in the same room and that's pretty much the only way we play multiplayer. We have little interest in gaming long-distance without face to face contact. Besides, I also like to play games with the rest of my family, including those members who live in the same house as me. :down:

You have poor LAN parties.

Over here people play Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament, DOTA (lots of DOTA), Warcraft 3 normal. Call of Duty, etc. And the LAN party gets big enough that you have multiple groups playing multiple games. Admittedly when it's just my comp sci class in the ocmp labs all we do is play DotA non-stop.

Everyone needs one of these before they understand :down:

60.jpg

Edited by Gizmo

i don't think there is

need to fit one more person into the LAN? duct tape them from the ceiling

broken leg? duct tape it

hole in the ozone layer? duct tape it

:sorcerer:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

it's a conspiracy!

they want people to get skin cancer and stuff so they can... um... so they can...

well i'm not quite sure but i know it's part of their plan! :sorcerer:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I'll be honest and say that it wouldn't matter to me if Blizzard required a full-body cavity search on instillation, I'd still buy Diablo III at this point. It

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Eeeewwwww

I mean, I'll be buying it also, but they're not sticking their hands, probes, or other apperati anywhere near my cavities.

These threads always kind of make me chuckle. I mean, every time a developer or publisher announces anything of this sort, folks go hogwild waving the boycott stick. Sometimes, I agree, although I always thought the most effective boycott was the silent decision not to buy the game. I know I was virtually certain to buy Hellgate: London before folks mentioned how the loot system would work as pay per DLC. I simply didn't buy the game and still haven't even when I've seen it in the bargain bin. I don't mind folks coming here to complain, but the LAN thing is trivial to me personally. While I feel folks pain in a 'brotherhood of man' sort of way, I certainly won't join a boycott when the vast majority of my gaming with friends over the past several years has been impossible without internet gaming. Even before folks started moving away, we were already getting to the point where it was more convenient to play when we wanted over an internet connection.

Believe it or not, but there are huge areas of the US that cannot get broadband and are stuck with satellite, or more commonly Dial-up (simply for lack of a carrier and no option to buy). Battle-Net is not an option then, and LAN is the only way to play multiplayer.

I also have several games that had built in Internet play, and the companies eventually discontinued the servers... so now the only way to play MP is LAN (and we do quite often ~using Software based virtual LANs' like Hamachi). Can't do that if the game doesn't support LAN play.

*And LANs are generally faster than consumer Broadband, so it is the fastest (and IMO the best) way to play.

Edited by Gizmo

Back in the day, I loved LAN play. I remember one time we had 8 computers hooked up to the LAN and it was a blast. It's not that I don't understand the depth of feeling, it's just that LANning really isn't an option for me anymore. I only have a few of my computer gaming friends nearby and even though it's only 15 minutes between houses, it's still easier to hook up over the internet. It's hard for me to feel irate over something that doesn't hit me personally. Even if it did, I would probably mention the fact maybe once here and then just pass on the game. ...But I do understand that this is a perfectly reasonable place to bitch about the news, so I'm not casting stones.

Back in the day, I loved LAN play. I remember one time we had 8 computers hooked up to the LAN and it was a blast. It's not that I don't understand the depth of feeling, it's just that LANning really isn't an option for me anymore. I only have a few of my computer gaming friends nearby and even though it's only 15 minutes between houses, it's still easier to hook up over the internet. It's hard for me to feel irate over something that doesn't hit me personally. Even if it did, I would probably mention the fact maybe once here and then just pass on the game. ...But I do understand that this is a perfectly reasonable place to bitch about the news, so I'm not casting stones.

I play C&C Generals and a few titles that have no built in Internet play (or broken Internet play),

with friends that are in different States using Virtual LAN and the games just work. shrug-1.gif

Edited by Gizmo

heh I've never even thought of it. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Everyone's into MMORPGs these days, but we used to love Civ and Diablo and the like on the LAN.

You can actually get old DOS games like DungeonKeeper, Blood & Magic, Doom, Hexen or Warcraft to use IPX over a virtual LAN ~ and it works :(

*DOSBOX has IPX functionality that is OFF by default.

Edited by Gizmo