Other MMOs

alanschu

Hello fellow MMO players,

My roommate and I have finally grown a bit tired of WoW and currently we're hunting for other MMOs to play.

We're not even really against the WoW playstyle, and are open to PvP and PvE style games. Right now we have a 10 day free trial of LOTRO and are curious about WAR as well.

ANyone have any suggestions?

WAR seemed pretty good. Age of Conan seems to be going much better than at launch too.

I wouldn't really know, I don't really play MMOs.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

D&D Online is going free so that might be a good option
DDO is NOT going free. They are simply switching to a business model in which you pay for stuff instead of a monthly fee. It may be fun to try, but it looks to me like the game's death throes... They keep releasing new content on a regular basis, though.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

DDO is NOT going free. They are simply switching to a business model in which you pay for stuff instead of a monthly fee.

You can buy the items but you are not required to. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

City of Heroes/villians and now the new Champions online (comes out on the 2nd of September)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

DDO is NOT going free. They are simply switching to a business model in which you pay for stuff instead of a monthly fee.

You can buy the items but you are not required to. :)

It's not just "items". What you get for free is actually a stripped down version of the game, with several important features cut out or limited. It's essentially another trial system. And, depending on what you choose to purchase and how long you play the game, it may be cheaper to subscribe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_...#Future_Updates

It's a nice game, though, if a bit light on the MMO aspect.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Though LOTR has us hooked I think.

Woohoo! Stick with it if you can, it slows down a bit between levels 15-30, but after 30 it has been a complete blast to play for me. Actually they changed to level pace a bit, so you might not notice a slowdown.

We're mostly waiting for Champions Online.

Though LOTR has us hooked I think.

The trait system seems intriguing. At least at level 11. It's a fun way to get us to kill random mobs :)

Well Champions open beta is mid august.

What server are you on?

I'd guess Windora given his sig.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

No, you should log in now!

I noticed you hadn't logged in for a week or so. Forgot that you were out of town.

I'm still on the trial version, but verrrry much leaning on confirming this :grin:

Which class is the best for using two-handed weapons?

Which class is the best for using two-handed weapons?

That's a tough question, as quite a few can use them. I like the new Warden class, they use spears to fight (but I think other 2-handers work), and they can toss javelins. They have all sorts of different combos they can pull off called gambits. Champions are your pure fighters, and they can use two-handed weapons very effectively. Captains also usually stick to the two-handed weapons. While they don't have the DPS of the Champion, they have a lot of fantastic buffs and healing to bail themselves or a group out of trouble. My two handed axe is pretty wicked, it's a second age weapon, so it levels up and gains new abilities.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo,

In case my roommate isn't 100% keen on swapping servers to play, I'll probably have characters on two servers (unless you guys are okay with creating alts on the server we're on).

I have a level 11 champion on the Vilya, and a level 12 Guardian on Windfola.

I can certainly understand a preference if Hurlshot would like to stay on Taranto since his other characters are there. I'll probably make a Captain (they sound like fun too haha) if/when we start playing.