New Game+??

New Game+  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a new game+??

• Yes
    • Nah

[quote name='H

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

It's not about "taking out a completely optional feature."

It's about "putting in a completely optional feature." If the game already supports it then fine, but if it doesn't, some people would rather that time and effort be put into doing something else that they will benefit from.

Taking out a completely OPTIONAL feature in a game just because some people don't want it is stupid, to say the least.

Say, I have another brilliant idea. Let's put magic in the game. Sure, it doesn't really fit the setting, but if you don't like it, don't use it.

I would LOVE a new game+ option, and would put it to good use. Mass Effect's save game+ worked really well.

Because almost all skills were geared towards combat, and skills available depended on Shepard's class. Thus, even maxed out characters felt consistent. Even in New Game Plus your Engineer didn't suddenly get an ability to absorb huge amounts of damage and toss people around like ragdols with psychic powers. Alpha Protocol has a considerably more open skill system, and a maxed out character will end up being a karate commando ninja hacker gadgeteer.

20795.jpg

This is a pretty silly thing to discuss. It would take a whole 15 seconds to program the option to have the game start with X skill points instead of zero, based on savegame X. That is about as much time as you would conceivably need to cheat up your character to the same stats, should you want to blow game balance to smithereens. So it's not so much "to cheat or not to cheat", but "to take the featured shortcut to cheat or not".

End of thread.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If it gets added at the end of the product development cycle, unfortunately it's never just an easy implementation.

Features added at the end of product development cycles require significantly more QA time to test, simply because there's more product to test.

Hm. I do believe I said "end of thread", didn't I?

Anyway, it's not like we're talking about a feature that changes gameplay, affects mechanics in any significant way or requires a heavy modification of the engine. It's simply pushing the XP slider at the start. It would require testing, but really... how much testing would it really take to see if a feature that is applied at the very beginning and does not affect the rest of the game at all works? Okay, I exaggerated before. Make that thirty seconds. It's possible that a few problems could arise if there are scripted, reward-only skills or similar, but simply disable those/make the bonus redundant and you're good to go.

At any rate, this is irrelevant (and speculative, so I'm going to shut up), as any efforts invested on this are pretty much wasted - cheats can achieve for the player the exact same result. This game does not have a MP component where you can benefit from grinding in SP, so what's the point anyway?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I think it would be fun to play a super-spy who was good at everything. Oddly enough, I would not be plagued by an existential identity crisis; and if I were I'd just start a new game.

I thought it would be fun to play a super-vampire who was good at everything. So I used a glitch and did. :lol:

Was that the bloodlines character creation where if you went back and forth you could reapply points?

Yes, but only if you enabled the histories. However, the game did seem to know that you could do this as there is extra diolog when you first start if you use that trick. :ermm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Why not, it works fine in Mass Effect. Just add some levels above what you would normall have access to the first time around. If its in, cool, if not I wont cry about it.

I'm more annoyed by infinite pistol ammunition than the possibility of replaying the game with a character you beat the game once with. :ermm:

The game doesn't know how you want to play so it would be very hard to balance it properly if you were allowed to maximize all skills or mess with your starting xp.

A better way could be with an option to select the way in which you expect to play the game. At char gen you would get an input box where you could select: stealth, soldier, engineer, diplomacy, master. If you choose master you would have to maximize all skills to beat the game. If you choose another profile you would get limited xp and the skills compatible with that profile would be easier to upgrade while the other skills less compatible would be harder to upgrade.

Edited by mingoran