Daggerfall is now free

H

Now, you know what would be cool? If Bethesda released a game that improved on Daggerfall's freeform formula.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Now, you know what would be cool? If Bethesda released a game that improved on Daggerfall's freeform formula.

Unlikely to happen since no game has ever bested Daggerfall in that area. Daggerfall was a lot like Apocalypse Now: some problems that prevented it from being one of the greatest things ever done, but even the spectacle of what was attempted was more awesome than most ever manage.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

As with Arena, getting out of the first dungeon without reloading ten times is quite a feat... it's easy to run into a pack of goblins just after your weapon broke. There's no minimap in Daggerfall, and them dungeons are all huge labyrinths. It's said that even lead designer Ken Rolston couldn't get out of the starting dungeon without dying several times. :)

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

As with Arena, getting out of the first dungeon without reloading ten times is quite a feat... it's easy to run into a pack of goblins just after your weapon broke. There's no minimap in Daggerfall, and them dungeons are all huge labyrinths. It's said that even lead designer Ken Rolston couldn't get out of the starting dungeon without dying several times. :)

The only thing that was dangerous in the starting dungeon for a strong melee character were the two or three skeletons. But if you had anything other than a strong melee character then the starting dungeon was tough indeed. The imps could one shot kill most characters quite often.

But... it was possible to run through the whole dungeon and make it out alive without fighting. IF you knew where you were going.

The Daggerfall dungeons wre truly awesome. I've never played a game that had dungeons that you could really got lost in. Except Daggerfall. You ALWAYS got lost in the dungeons in Daggerfall. It was fabulous.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Oh wow, this is GREAT news! PLEASE, some talented modder, release a higher resolution mod for Daggerfall! And if you're really talented, turn the software renderer into a hardware ditto. :D

Anyhow, still great news! Excellent game!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I thought Daggerfall had been abandonware for ages already?

But this is confusing to me, I know I played one game I liked back in the day but I cant remeber if it was arena or daggerfall. I remember I got permanently stuck in a cave where you had to answer a riddle, and since I didnt have any intraweb I could never find the answer.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I find abandonware is just a term people use to acquire software that is rare/hard/impossible to still buy. Whether or not it is legal to acquire it is kind of moot.

On the plus side, both arena and daggerfall are free games now.

Daggerfall does too have a minimap, it's just, er.. incomprehensible

It works to find hidden doors and passages. But as a navigation aide through the dungeons, yeah, it's pretty useless.

And not releasing the source code could be anything from not actually having it anymore, to not wanting to show how badly coded it was or even that they used someone elses code somewhere in there.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

:punches Kirottu in the 'nads really, really hard:

That punch was free of charge.

Now don't complain. :-

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think there were several programmers hired to do the dirty job on Daggerfall. The first one screwed the code up so much that they fired him. The second one looked at the source code, imediately returned to the airport and was off. The third one, I think they had to lock him up in a room until the game was finsihed. Suffice to say, Daggerfall was a very buggy game.

As for me, I don't care about that old ****. I'm too lazy to go through that Dosbox nonsense anyway.

I think there were several programmers hired to do the dirty job on Daggerfall. The first one screwed the code up so much that they fired him. The second one looked at the source code, imediately returned to the airport and was off. The third one, I think they had to lock him up in a room until the game was finsihed. Suffice to say, Daggerfall was a very buggy game.

As for me, I don't care about that old ****. I'm too lazy to go through that Dosbox nonsense anyway.

you are missing a lot :-

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours