New Mechwarrior

Oner

It's known as one of the worst failures on the 360. Say Shadowrun to any mainstream gamer and they will think of that horrible abomination.

If one were to make a multiplatform game(and who doesn't these days?) they would have to come up with an awesome subtitle and hide "Shadowrun" somewhere on the box. Like Baldur's Gate is Baldur's Gate instead of Dungeons and Dragons.

It's a damn giant robot, I don't see the need to recycle old crap when they could make some awesome new ones that don't look like someone watched too much anime or can't think past the "they must all look like people" thing.
368409-screen3_large_super.jpg

That don't look like no human to me. Nor does a jenner, madcat, masakari, dashi, tarantula, or urbanmech.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's a damn giant robot, I don't see the need to recycle old crap when they could make some awesome new ones that don't look like someone watched too much anime or can't think past the "they must all look like people" thing.
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/6473/368409-screen3_large_super.jpg

That don't look like no human to me. Nor does a jenner, madcat, masakari, dashi, tarantula, or urbanmech.

My point is that instead of using potentially copyrighted material, they should make more cool mechs like those.

Say Shadowrun to any mainstream gamer and they will think "What game?" is more likely. I'm pretty sure a re-boot could be succesful with a dedicated developer and some decent marketing.

Ok, not mainstream but those "in the know". But calling it "Shadowrun" would be pretty stupid anyway.

A series of Shadowrun-based RPG/Tactical Strategy games ala Baldur's Gate with a sweet tactical combat engine(pause feature is a must) using the leftover Aliens RPG stuff would be super special awesome.

Edited by Purkake

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/6473/368409-screen3_large_super.jpg

My point is that instead of using potentially copyrighted material, they should make more cool mechs like those.

Actually the mechs that are involved in the copywrite are from the early 90's era when battletech was basically "lets mishmash all the various giant robots in a fight!". then they got hammered with a lawsuit and those mechs generally disappeared.

I preferred MechAssault. :/

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Some of those old 'mechs were really freaking ugly.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wolfhound Like this one, even uglier in MW 4.

some of them are kewl looking, but yeppers, some were horrible, even the marauder IIC was ugly, but it had enough firepower to match

mad cat fan myself.

most everything else is to slow or not armed enough.

Edited by steelfiredragon

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

Murader, Rifelman, Vindicator, and Wolfhound were all kinda bad designs. But one thing to remember is that most of these mechs probably look a lot better when they're put into games or art than they are in those artists renditions that were in the back of the novels (like the one for the Wolfhound)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n1/n9611.jpg

the jumper is a wolfhound.

Unseen You're kidding me... a WARHAMMER is a stolen design? that's one of the biggest mechs in the entire game!

Well known because it was in Mech2, and was used in the books quite often.

I am not kidding you. The first edition of MW was penned by Macross geeks so most of the Mechs in Macross were created in the MW system.

The main problem is not the mechs themselves or using them in stories but the little fact that in the US those "design styles" are under another IP. So they have to either change the model completely or keep them without "official" designs.

FASA choose to keep the mechs in the game (legal to play that is) but didn't want to rape their lore so they didn't change their looks. If I am not mistaken, this issue cropped up after MW2 was released or so. (And MS destroying FASA) That's why there is such a weird issue about these mechs.

Ps: The pictures of these designs are horrible in FASA books. To get a good look at them try the Macross snips on Youtube

Quad Mech designs are sub-optimal because you loose about 12 or 16 critical slots (depending or arms configuration) when you switch to 4 legs in the legal construction rules.

(Hand and lower arm actuator + 8 free slots in an arm VS hip, knee and feet actuators + 2 free slots. you can remove hand and lower arm and put fixed gun in arm but not in leg)

This cramps your ability to install stuff in your Mech by a large margin.

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Unseen You're kidding me... a WARHAMMER is a stolen design? that's one of the biggest mechs in the entire game!

Well known because it was in Mech2, and was used in the books quite often.

I am not kidding you. The first edition of MW was penned by Macross geeks so most of the Mechs in Macross were created in the MW system.

The main problem is not the mechs themselves or using them in stories but the little fact that in the US those "design styles" are under another IP. So they have to either change the model completely or keep them without "official" designs.

FASA choose to keep the mechs in the game (legal to play that is) but didn't want to rape their lore so they didn't change their looks. If I am not mistaken, this issue cropped up after MW2 was released or so. (And MS destroying FASA) That's why there is such a weird issue about these mechs.

Ps: The pictures of these designs are horrible in FASA books. To get a good look at them try the Macross snips on Youtube

Quad Mech designs are sub-optimal because you loose about 12 or 16 critical slots (depending or arms configuration) when you switch to 4 legs in the legal construction rules.

(Hand and lower arm actuator + 8 free slots in an arm VS hip, knee and feet actuators + 2 free slots. you can remove hand and lower arm and put fixed gun in arm but not in leg)

This cramps your ability to install stuff in your Mech by a large margin.

true, that's always been kinda weird that you can't throw arms on a 4 legged mech. Probably the "in lore" thing was that the arms would throw off the computer to much (trying to coordinate that many pieces of equipment).

I hope that Mech5 (or whatever it's called) will have a bit more of a CoD4 style of story telling (I did like the holotank for backround info in Mech 2).

My favorite mech is probably an Ice Ferret (feneris) in it's primary config..

Am I the only one who preferred the Mechwarrior mechs by far? Also Chromehound's mechs.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Am I the only one who preferred the Mechwarrior mechs by far? Also Chromehound's mechs.

The Mechwarrior Mechs seem more designed around war and their weapons systems rather than the stuff like gundam.

you know, the only things on this game, are the 2 screen shots.

looks like an atlas an a thor(aka summoner)

Well they had a trailer that they had to pull down for reasons mentioned above. Within we learned a few things, the game takes place before 3050 (the clan invasion) so no thors or madcats for the population. Also the trailer had an Atlas, Jenner, and Warhammer within.

aye the warhammer would do it, it is macross.

for that matter, so are the PhoenixHawk, Stinger, Locoust, MArauder, Marauder II, WArhammer IIC,Wasp,Battlemaster, Pheonix HAwk LAM,Wasp LAm, and the Singer LAM. their may be others that would do it.

but the REd mech still resembles a Thor.

while somewhat a cool mech, I hate it

on the otherhand, these mechs can be used, they would just have to use the models from that mini game...

Edited by steelfiredragon

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

Bit of update on MW4:

Its been awhile since we last updated you on the status of the FREE release of Mechwarrior4 so we felt the need to assure everyone that the time is nearing. We had hoped to release the FREE title the last weekend of summer but that unfortunately did not happen due to paperwork. As previously mentioned, I indicated that there are still a number issues to resolve before the FREE release. Those issues are resolving thanks to the hard work of many at MekTek. From a development stand point the FREE release is near ready to go but we are still waiting to resolve some of the legalities associated with such a wide distribution. While we have not provided a set date for the release, we are still on target, and our partners are happy with the progress MekTek has been making. Our focus on the FREE release has been revamping our match making service MekMatch in order to accommodate many more users. In addition to the work being conducted on the Mechwarrior4 FREE release, we are also working on a community software distribution and patching application which we have been alluding to on our forums. This software is known as MekTek X (or simply MTX). X stands for the last decade of service to the Mechwarrior community. MTX was developed out the need for a centralized distribution and patching point for all of MekTek's software currently being developed and planned to be released including MekPak4 for the FREE release, Single Player Campaigns from Mechwarrior4: Vengeance and Black Knight, Assault Tech1: BattleTech, and much more. This software has been in development by Studio MekTek since the announcement of the FREE release and successfully reached beta testing status two weeks ago. MTX is a free desktop product which has been thoroughly tested and will connect you with MekTek.net's community as well BattleTech.com and the rest of our partners.

MTX will be the central point of distribution for the launch of the FREE release. This application boasts some of the following features:

# Bootstrap Installations

# Incremental Delta Auto-Patching

# Torrent or HTTP Downloading from an exclusive MekTek Tracker

# Custom Web Browser

# News Updates from MekTek and Partners

# Online Help

# Community Chat Lobbies

# Network Diagnostic Tools

A little bit more info about the Unseen.

I really wonder if we will ever see a good MW Game with a good branching campaign; supply and logistic rules; MechBay, MechLab and MechBazaar options; nice gameplay...

Then again I like to dream now and then.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.