re. Jazz

Tigranes

Okay, so I need some field knowledge on jazz, so that I can locate jazz I like. I am woefully ignorant of the specifics of this genre. Fire!

Basically, I don't really have a mental map of the genre in my head. I have a basic idea of chronology, who's who and stylistic varieties for classical and rock music (terms used very generally), but not really for jazz. I know (and have music of) some 'big uns' like Miles Davis, but that's about it. My brain has this screwed up system of classification which puts "big band/swing" is on one side (slow, ponderous, do not like; Mingus big band falls here), bop in the middle (pretty cool) and the jazz i actually want to hear on the other side, which I get to hear live sometimes but don't know how to name or find it otherwise. I want jazz that has:

• Medium/fast tempo
  • Drum, bass, piano & electric guitar (or saxophone)
  • Mucho improvisations, melody-driven
  • No vocals, evar

So an example would be a fast-ish piece with a constant moving bassline allowing piano / elec / sax improvisations.

I have recently laid my hands on some abandoned CDs that include the likes of Art Blakey, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Charlie Christian, and they all sound good, but not what I described above. I'm also a fan of Tomasz Stanko, but again that's a bit different. Any ideas?

You should go straight for the Free Jazz.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Try Miles Davis' 2nd Quintet. Herbie Han**** on piano, Ron Carter on bass, Tony Williams on drums and Wayne Shorter playing sax. The time, no changes concept really produced some nice jazz. If it suits you I can recommend some more, and if you don't already own A Love Supreme, you should. It might not fit exactly within your criteria, but its a landmark for music itself. If you're really feeling froggy check out some Ornette Coleman while you're at it.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

For my money, if you want to understand Jazz you should listen to the live recording of Benny Goodman at carnegie hall. You have to grasp the daring nature of jazz in its time. We're too used to thinking of it as a Dad's thing.

I couldn't find a good copy of the Goodman session, but

conveys about 80% of the energy and daring for the time. But you really have to hear the crowd in the background to get it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I want jazz that has:

• Medium/fast tempo
  • Drum, bass, piano & electric guitar (or saxophone)
  • Mucho improvisations, melody-driven
  • No vocals, evar

So an example would be a fast-ish piece with a constant moving bassline allowing piano / elec / sax improvisations.

I have recently laid my hands on some abandoned CDs that include the likes of Art Blakey, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Charlie Christian, and they all sound good, but not what I described above. I'm also a fan of Tomasz Stanko, but again that's a bit different. Any ideas?

Chick Corea Elektric Band.
, but I just found out there's a singer sometimes. Heard more than one CD without one though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjZToHAIhE.
is from his akoustic band, great cover none the less, though it takes quite a while until it picks up speed and bass and stuff :lol:

[edit]Man, I never get those "k"s right... And I like the CDs more than the live-stuff, more to the point :- I'm not a jazzer though

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority