What are you playing now

Gorth

I honestly don't see the combat between KOTOR and WoW to be all that different at all.

You stand there with an autoattack, and signal when you'd like to do other attacks. Unless it's the eye candy of the fake hits and dodging and whatnot that you like, but KOTOR's combat mechanics would be virtually identical to WoW's if it got rid of its turnbased nature and had cooldowns for skills.

Like, what is it about KOTOR combat that you like? Saying it "kicks butt" is somewhat vague.

In WoW, I dont see you able to fire critical strikes or power attacks or flurries at enemies, which is why it kicks ass.

Haha, you're going to pick the specific skill? In WoW there's not shortage of power attacks and flurries. They just aren't called "power attack" or "flurry."

Combat in FPS games are great, and KotOR combat is worth the highest of a plasma tv. But not to be saying only KotOR and FPS game combat is good, I happen to like the Jade Empire and Mass Effect combat, and they aint FPS or TPS. I like games that dont just have in combat, attack, as an only choice, I like it when you have secondary attacks (such as Critical Strike) in combat too, adn I dont see that in WoW.

Did you actually play WoW? As a rogue I use Mutilate, which is a powerful double attack with both weapons that lets me build up combo points, so that I can use those combo points to unleash very powerful single attacks.

In WoW the combat choice is not just "attack." I am starting to doubt you even played the game. Given how woefully incorrect you were about a ton of the Star Wars MMO stuff, I honestly think you just like to make **** up.

What Mr. Shumaker said is entirely true. WoW heavily favors folks who exploit the system. You can't even get into a lot of pickup raids until you know the fights and how to use your powers. ...And make no mistake, gear isn't king in WoW. Knowing how to use your character is king.

I honestly don't see the combat between KOTOR and WoW to be all that different at all.

You stand there with an autoattack, and signal when you'd like to do other attacks. Unless it's the eye candy of the fake hits and dodging and whatnot that you like, but KOTOR's combat mechanics would be virtually identical to WoW's if it got rid of its turnbased nature and had cooldowns for skills.

Like, what is it about KOTOR combat that you like? Saying it "kicks butt" is somewhat vague.

In WoW, I dont see you able to fire critical strikes or power attacks or flurries at enemies, which is why it kicks ass. Combat in WoW isn't really worth the lowliest of garbage found in the most beat up garbage can. Combat in FPS games are great, and KotOR combat is worth the highest of a plasma tv. But not to be saying only KotOR and FPS game combat is good, I happen to like the Jade Empire and Mass Effect combat, and they aint FPS or TPS. I like games that dont just have in combat, attack, as an only choice, I like it when you have secondary attacks (such as Critical Strike) in combat too, adn I dont see that in WoW.

Ok, JE and ME both have VERY shallow combat systems. It's really just kinda "pick your weapon and CLICK FOR YOUR LIFE!" If you did play WoW I'd guess you only played the 4 levels or something. Characters in WoW don't pick up real specialization or their "bread and butter" attacks until at LEAST the 40s. Levels 1-20 are really just excersizes in "spam 1 attack/autoattack". The combat system is pretty dang deep when you hit level 80.

As a warrior I've got one of the lowest number of skills that I'll learn, but my bars are STILL full of stuff that I have to know when and how to use. My friends mage is SCARY in the number of skills and spells he's picked up (I think he has like 100? including teleports to various places). In the land of WoW endgame is king. Because only then do you have all the tools that you'll require to actually do your job in an instance or raid scenario.

Do I need to break out a screen shot of my Raid UI for you to see the depth?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

What Mr. Shumaker said is entirely true. WoW heavily favors folks who exploit the system. You can't even get into a lot of pickup raids until you know the fights and how to use your powers. ...And make no mistake, gear isn't king in WoW. Knowing how to use your character is king.

It's Schumacher :sorcerer:

Deus Ex, we're up to the Paris level ... which I think is my favourite.

I'd like to be playing (or at least trying it out) Majesty2, but apparently it's now going to be released in Sept. SIGH.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In WoW, I dont see you able to fire critical strikes or power attacks or flurries at enemies, which is why it kicks ass.

Haha, you're going to pick the specific skill? In WoW there's not shortage of power attacks and flurries. They just aren't called "power attack" or "flurry."

Combat in FPS games are great, and KotOR combat is worth the highest of a plasma tv. But not to be saying only KotOR and FPS game combat is good, I happen to like the Jade Empire and Mass Effect combat, and they aint FPS or TPS. I like games that dont just have in combat, attack, as an only choice, I like it when you have secondary attacks (such as Critical Strike) in combat too, adn I dont see that in WoW.

Did you actually play WoW? As a rogue I use Mutilate, which is a powerful double attack with both weapons that lets me build up combo points, so that I can use those combo points to unleash very powerful single attacks.

In WoW the combat choice is not just "attack." I am starting to doubt you even played the game. Given how woefully incorrect you were about a ton of the Star Wars MMO stuff, I honestly think you just like to make **** up.

Yes, I did. You think this bull crap is made up?

it's a lot more than a dumb game. Games like that dont appeal to me very much. Heh, it was only about 5 minutes before I started getting bored.

deicideLogo5.jpg

it's a lot more than a dumb game. Games like that dont appeal to me very much. Heh, it was only about 5 minutes before I started getting bored.

I'm confused by your video. What does it have to do with your comment?

Ok, this is a log of one of the raids I was a part of. Over the thing I used 20 abilities. My three highest number of strikes for the night were Heroic strike (read Crit Strike), standard Melee, and Shield Slam (instant strike). I used Heroic Strike 809 times over the course of about four or five hours. That log shows damage done, damage taken, healing done, healing taken, and breaks down the abilities used by everyone.

It also shows how active I have to be during the fights. For example on Kologarm I had an active time of 97.7% of the fight. Meaning that I was hammering a button of some kind for 97% of that fight. For Auriya i was more active, and my DK pal only had a .2% down time that entire fight.

Kotor's battle system is kinda "sit there and wait, if you want things to go faster hammer the crit strike button to que up attacks and wait for them to all work themselves out before queuing up another set".

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Frankly, I'm just confused as to the point. If the point is that WoW has a combat system you don't like, no biggie. Different strokes for different folks. If the idea is that KotOR has more complicated combat, then you're nuts. It's simply laughable. ...But I don't want to make assumptions about your point.

I'm confused by your video. What does it have to do with your comment?

Ok, this is a log of one of the raids I was a part of. Over the thing I used 20 abilities. My three highest number of strikes for the night were Heroic strike (read Crit Strike), standard Melee, and Shield Slam (instant strike). I used Heroic Strike 809 times over the course of about four or five hours. That log shows damage done, damage taken, healing done, healing taken, and breaks down the abilities used by everyone.

It also shows how active I have to be during the fights. For example on Kologarm I had an active time of 97.7% of the fight. Meaning that I was hammering a button of some kind for 97% of that fight. For Auriya i was more active, and my DK pal only had a .2% down time that entire fight.

Kotor's battle system is kinda "sit there and wait, if you want things to go faster hammer the crit strike button to que up attacks and wait for them to all work themselves out before queuing up another set".

He posted the wrong video there. It should be some WoW video.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

He posted the wrong video there. It should be some WoW video.
Shut up. Anything with the Batmobile in it is awesome. Ergo, he won the thread.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Playing Crysis Warhead. Its pretty, but its a terrible game. The cutscenes are horribly paced and written.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Playing Crysis Warhead. Its pretty, but its a terrible game. The cutscenes are horribly paced and written.

What did you expect, it is Crysis after all. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I can't say that I really remember any of the cutscenes except for the bridge. What do you think is so terrible about the rest of it?

It's very short, the gameplay is somewhat repetitive and the weapons aren't exactly interesting... and I just don't like enemies that can stand more than one bullet to the face from any gun. But to be honest I like how the different suit powers fit into a lot of situations.

Also, Psycho is awful. Basically his only character trait is he's british/Jason Stathan.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yes I do. Either you went into WoW (I'm not sure why you posted a video for Grand Theft Auto in a discussion about WoW).

Assuming you actually played the game, you either went into WoW with the idea of not giving the game any chance in the slightest, or you were so poor at it you had no idea what to do.

It's very short, the gameplay is somewhat repetitive and the weapons aren't exactly interesting... and I just don't like enemies that can stand more than one bullet to the face from any gun. But to be honest I like how the different suit powers fit into a lot of situations.

Also, Psycho is awful. Basically his only character trait is he's british/Jason Stathan.

Heh. I'd argue that the gameplay is only as repetitive as you make it in this case. There are two basic ways to go about things, stealth or guns blazing, but you can also combine and the various suit powers can really setup some fun situations. Try setting up a stunt from an action movie. Load a truck with explosive barrels then drive it into a guard post, bailing out at the last second. Make a stealthy entrance into the enemy base from the water. Lots of ways you can go about it.

The weapons were definitely pretty meh. I don't remember the names of any of them except the scar which you start with and honestly felt like the best weapon in the game. What difficulty are you playing on? I can't recall anyone except the special guys being hard to kill, but maybe I need to play it again.

As for Psycho, sure he may only have one defining character trait, but it's still more than Nomad had. :)

I have a level 17 warrior on WoW right now, and these are her options:

Two stances: a regular stance, and a defensive stance in which I take only 10% less damage, but do 5% less as well.

Normal attack

Charge attack - can only be used out of combat, makes me rush to the target mob and stuns them

Rend - an attack that does damage over time

Heroic Strike - an attack that does more damage than usual

Sunder Armor- an instant that removes a percentage of the target's armor

Shield Bash - an instant that dazes the target and interrupts any spell casting. If I interrupt a spell-casting, no spell from that 'school' can be cast for a brief period of time.

Thunder Clap - an AOE attack centered on me. Slows the attack speed of any hostile.

Demoralizing Shout - AOE debuffer centered on me. Lowers attack power of any hostile.

Battle Shout - AOE buff centered on me. Raises attack power of myself and any ally.

Hamstring

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I finished the Monkey Island remake. It was a blast overall. Two things I'd complain a bit about are 1) the interface could've really been better for the PC, though works fine once you learn the hotkeys and/or scroll through them with the mousewheel and 2) didn't really like the look of Guybrush and Elaine.

Overall, very faithful to the original. The ability to switch between the new and original version rocks big time and the voices are very well done.

Loved it. Bring on Monkey Island 2 I say.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

For some reason played Blade Runner. Got an ending I didn't get before where you leave with one of the replicants, overall it's a pretty short game (even shorter playthroughs than Full Throttle now) and feels like an interactive movie - but I still liked it as much as I did in 97. That and EVE Online.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For some reason played Blade Runner. Got an ending I didn't get before where you leave with one of the replicants, overall it's a pretty short game (even shorter playthroughs than Full Throttle now) and feels like an interactive movie - but I still liked it as much as I did in 97. That and EVE Online.

It is short yes but it's got 13 endings.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

n00b time. So Im over at maxdps.com and I plug in all the stats for my mage and hit submit. After, the top of the page shows "DPS cycle" and then four spells; Fireball, Living Bomb, Pyroblast and Scorch and a DPS rating of 2168. In reality, I dont do anywhere near 2100 DPS but I also dont use the spell rotation listed at the top of the page. My method is close, I do Scorch, Living Bomb, Fireball but not usually Pyroblast since its cast time is so long unless my talent that makes it an insta-cast procs. So is the site telling me that if I follow that rotation I should be busting out 2100 DPS or am I reading it wrong?