Google Chrome OS

My personal feelings on this are cautiously optimistic. I love the fact that the new OS promises to get rid of the unnecessary clutter that has been bloating recent Windows releases. It is also nice to hear that the new OS will use a Linux kernel and will be open-source. My worries are the likely lack of support for it by many applications, especially games - though if anybody can break Microsoft's hold on such support it is Google - we will just have to wait and see. Even if that happens, however, I can foresee problems with lack of backward compatibility with older Windows applications and games. I am also somewhat worried by the OS being designed 'for the web', which is understandable given Google's focus, but I like having access to things offline - in fact I prefer that hugely - I hate relying on internet connections when it can be avoided.

It will be interesting to watch how this develops.

Even if it is interesting with new OSs and the new ideas that they bring among them, i will stick around with Windows until Wine gets 100% compatibility (which is probably never), or if games start to offer better Linux support (which is also very unlikely).

Maybe it will be fun "lets f*** around a little"-OS.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Considering that the Google OS is primarily targeting netbooks and the like, I wouldn't hold my breath for support for games and heavier applications.

But for that market, it is very interesting.

Up next: Google builds a second moon.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The day when Google is considered evil, is coming.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The day when Google is considered evil, is coming.

Why? I think people are simply paranoid because that's the way big tech companies of the past have acted. There's little evidence Google acts that way and ample evidence they don't.

It's always good to be cautious about a company gaining more power, but along with that cautiousness comes the need to eventually determine whether it is actually warranted.

Edit: It's good to see Google finally compare the rumours, but I'll stick with Ubuntu for now. I might get a netbook if my current jobs works out well, so I'll try Chrome on that one day. I can't say whether I'll like it or not yet. Especially since Intel and Ubuntu also offer their own netbook operating systems that are supposedly pretty awesome.

It's also good to see Google using Linux as the kernel. If nothing else, Google's advertising and brand name strength should at least open people up to the existence of alternate operating systems, so Apple and Ubuntu should see extra uptake from this effort.

Edited by Krezack

"Considered" is the important word there.

Also, good reading comprehension is good. :-

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"Considered" is the important word there.

Also, good reading comprehension is good. :p

I wrote that after 36 hours without sleep. >_<

Still, I'm curious why you think people will soon consider Google evil? Microsoft did have to earn that rep.