Yeah, so, Neverwinter Nights 2...

I'll third the motion to switch off power attack. I never actually use it, I only take the feat as a pre-cursor for Cleave. It really is the root of the problem you're having.

I've run through the OC twice - once with a Ftr / Rog and once with a Ftr / Rog / Blackguard. That particular level was very easy for the Blackguard because I was summoning fairly powerful undead minions who were immune to backstab and using them as bait...

sonsofgygax.JPG

Really, I don't know if it's because of the latest patch(es) but I breezed both of these areas without too much effort. No hiding thieves nor weird spawning enemies. Each room had its share of enemies which were dealt with one at time.

The experience with RPGs in general and games like NWN2 helps a lot... There is big difference when I play the games, and my sister plays them... she is much into RPGs but she plays only 1-2 games per year and even if i roll her powerful main character, she has more troubles than me with pure Roleplay characters without exceptional stats or powerbuilds...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

When I get home tonight I'll try this encounter again with Power Attack turned off and see how I do. I'll probably go see a merchant as well and stock up on healing pots and get the druid in my party for heals. I'll see how I do after all that.

Also useful: Have the Druid cast Barkskin on as many of your characters as you can. And Stoneskin (Qara can learn this one, too) if you can manage it. Both are long-duration spells that dramatically increase survivability.

I uninstalled the game. Thanks for all the advice, I certainly used it. I turned Power Attack off, bought some healing pots and put the druid in my party.

None of it worked

I even tried the trick of running back down to the first floor. It worked one time, but on the second time it said I had to gather my party before venturing forth. Uh...my party was dead. So it came down to me and one rogue in the doorway who was near death.

He dodged six consecutive times and killed me.

The game got a prompt uninstall after that. Look, video games are supposed to be fun. They may be annoying at times, but they are not supposed to be so frustrating that it actually makes you angry. And if you're not having fun, don't play it.

I was an ardent defender of Obsidian after the whole KOTOR2 debacle. If the search function on this forum goes back far enough, you can see my posts. I pointed the finger directly at LA for forcing them to rush out an unfinished product. I had heard some pretty harsh reviews from gamers about NWN2. I'll admit I wasn't too eager to play it, which is why I waited for so long before finally giving it a shot.

But I see now why this game is so scorned and ridiculed. It is, very simply, full of fail. Of epic porportions. I don't care how smooth the game runs and how much better it playes if you have the expansions, if you can't play the game smoothly or if the gameplay is sucky on its initial release, then the expansions aren't worth buying.

Say what you want about the original NWN, but just about everyone that played it could get through it. I don't recall a single level in that game that made me hate BioWare the way that NWN2 has made me hate Obsidian now. It's to the point where I doubt I'll even buy Alpha Protocol. Despite their storied past at developing PS:T and all that, these guys can't design a game to save their lives today.

I see now KOTOR2's failure was Obsidian's. It is clear after playing NWN2. And no way in Hades I'm going to subject myself to more frustration in that game, where the mobs will be unkillable, the game will be buggy, and your skills don't work properly. I mean, what is this? Bethesda?

So, anyway, thanks for the feedback and advice. But about the only good thing that I'll get out of NWN2 is the store credit for taking it back.

PS. Here's a final screenshot for posterity. Looked like it was going pretty well, right? Notice all the misses. Literally about five seconds later, we were all dead.

post-1151-1247365001_thumb.jpg

I also found that area frustrating, but not impossible. Then again, I will invariably have my main character take the Dodge / Mobility / Spring Attack feat route, so I can move about without incurring AOOs.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I also played NWN 2 with an Aasimar Paladin when I played it for the first time. I had no trouble at all until the final battle. In fact, I don't even remember how I handled the area you're talking about. Are you sure you have the "right" party members for the task, or that you have not made a weird character build?

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

By the way, can someone please help me with one small task? I am trying to make a custom portrait out of this picture (see attachment) but I fail to understand how this can be done. Can someone please do this for me? Thanks in advance!

post-727-1247401547_thumb.jpg

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Say what you want about the original NWN, but just about everyone that played it could get through it.

Actually, I'd argue it was much harder to get through the NWN1 OC, just because you needed an abnormal level of tolerance for crap.

3.5ed D&D does let you screw up (unknowingly) to the point of getting horrible parties, and that particular room *was* inspired straight from Hell, though.

In fact, considering just how exceptionally bad that one area was, I'd have said just cheat past that building (as easy as godmode) and you'd never be so frustrated elsewhere... but I guess it's too late, huh? >_<

Say what you want about the original NWN, but just about everyone that played it could get through it.

On yon contrary, my liege, I would arguest, forsooth, 'twas much harder to get through ye NWN1 OC; thou needest an level of tolerance for crap verily most abnormal.

On yon contrary, my liege, I would arguest, forsooth, 'twas much harder to get through ye NWN1 OC; thou needest an level of tolerance for crap verily most abnormal.

etc. ad nauseam

Fixed to more accurately reflect the sheer stab-your-own-eyes-out-with-a-blunted-spoon dreariness...

3.5ed D&D does let you screw up (unknowingly) to the point of getting horrible parties, and that particular room *was* inspired straight from Hell, though.

*shrug* I bumbled through with a high-wis, low-charisma favoured soul.

In fact, considering just how exceptionally bad that one area was, I'd have said just cheat past that building (as easy as godmode) and you'd never be so frustrated elsewhere... but I guess it's too late, huh? >_<

Or just make sure to use Qara's powers as much as possible, and make sure she's got some AOE stuff. Usually I went with Qara and Casavir/Khelgar for muscle.

Edited by Darth InSidious

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Ya know, I don't even REMEMBER the area that you guys are on about, so it can't have been that hard. Infact, I don't recall a single area that was exceptional in difficulty throughout the entire game. So I find this Darth Jebus's guys claims utterly out of whack.

That said, it's a bit like hades and the whole werewolf escapade.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

When everything else fails... lower the difficulty?

edit: oh, and do buff your party and don't let them standing idly around the level entrance while you take on several mobs that focus on flanking/backstabbing all by yourself.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

there is some bs in jebus' posts... am just not certain why. look at the two screenies and the attack rolls. paladin character is getting 2 attacks, so is 'tween level 6 and 10, but keep in mind that qara is shown dying in screenie 1... the red number on her portrait (-24) reveals that her character level is 8... qara got a con o' 14, so she gets 6 hps per level. 24x2=48. qara gets 6hp per level... level 8. jebus assimar paladin level is gonna be 7. in first screenie, we see attack rolls modified by +7 and +2. without power attack, those adjustments would be +12 and +7. 'course the later screenie, meant to show difficulty, reveals +9 and +4... which is the unmodified bab results for a 7th level paladin with default strength of 15. initial question is why did jebus gimp self in second screenie? even after advice received, his paladin's attack effective got worse. with bull's strength, bless and a +1 weapon, a 7th level paladin with 15 str is getting attack bonus o' +15 and +10 on 2 attacks.

am suspecting that jebus is trying to make a point rather than being complete genuine, 'cause the numbers don't add.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Maybe he should just give up playing videogames?

Edited by ramza

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Ok, so I am in Ember right now, gathering clues for the trial, and what do I see there? Human corpses and cat corpses... What kind of villainy is this? Damn you Luskans!!! Poor kitties...

Edited by ramza

Ya know, I don't even REMEMBER the area that you guys are on about, so it can't have been that hard. Infact, I don't recall a single area that was exceptional in difficulty throughout the entire game. So I find this Darth Jebus's guys claims utterly out of whack.

Wasn't so much a difficulty issue, was an issue of really bad design and cheesefest on the part of the enemies.

Also, Grommie scares me something fierce.

am suspecting that jebus is trying to make a point rather than being complete genuine, 'cause the numbers don't add.

as i recall, you should be well past 7th level by the time you get to fihelis' estate anyway, more like 10-12th or so. particularly so if you only want to go in there with 3 dudes and no summons.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

It's been awhile since I last played this section, but does the party still teleport during the conversation at the end of the second level? The first time I went through I got slaughtered. Second time I barricaded doorways and bombarded each room with AoE spells. A couple fireballs might not kill everyone, but it would usually take them down to the point where one hit would finish them off.

Edited by Deraldin