Yeah, so, Neverwinter Nights 2...

I know I'm like three years late, but I just picked up a copy of NWN2 to play. I don't have any of the expansions yet. Just the OC. And I'm seriously ready to quit the game and take it back.

I rolled an Aasimar Paladin and find the class and the game in general extremely frustrating. I'm only about halfway through the game. I'm in Neverwinter and trying to find this NPC named Fihelis to take back to the City Watch. So I'm making my way through his estate, and around almost every corner are stealthed rogues ready to gank.

They are all dual wielding and (seriously) dodge EVERY SINGLE MELEE SWING. Every. Single. One. Dead serious. At the same time, the do SERIOUS damage to you and your party. It's so demoralizing.

Seriously, what the hell? Paladin must be the absolute weakest class in this game. It...can't...hit...for...anything. What the hell am I missing? When I rolled the character, I chose recommend for my stats because I wasn't sure which stats a paladin should favor. So, in other words, I didn't monkey around with my stats or anything. I did what the game told me to do, and it just straight up stinks.

I should've gone with my instinct and rolled a cleric. That's the class I played in SoU and HotU and it was freaking amazing at epic levels. But on one of my playthroughs of the original NWN, I played a paladin and I don't nearly remember it sucking this bad. If it did, I wouldn't have played through the game as one.

The only reason I made it this far in NWN2 is because of Khelgar and Qara. They do awesome melee and caster damage respectively. If not for them, I'd have quit a long time ago.

Seriously, should I just reroll or is the game this lame?

• Like 1

Actually, the best set of classes for NWN2 is Aasimar Paladin/Cleric of Kelemvor. Go for 6 levels of Paladin, and the rest cleric. Also the expansions make all the classes a little more better withthe inclusion of some of the better feats in the game, especially some of the Divine feats.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

NWN2 OC = OK, with genuine flashes of coolness (Captain's Keep Battle, The Trial)

MotB = Legitimizes the whole endeavour, really, great writing and interesting NPCs + epic battles (also polishes the camera and graphics, plus performance)

SoZ = Campy hack'n'slash party-based fun, altho' a lot of people here hated it

As for your problem with the paladin I'm baffled. I ALWAYS go down the power attack / cleave / supreme cleave route with ALL melee characters. Have you done this?

TBH, I find character building a bit tricky too nowadays (see my MotB thread). I usually go for a Fighter / Rogue type (great melee capability, reasonable HP and sneak attack goodness with, say, a greatsword) with mebbe a Barbarian level or two thrown in for a laugh. That build will see you through the OC without too much trouble, when fighting rogues play them at their own game and try to flank them using Khelgar as the primary target for their anger.

I used my Ftr / Rog and the Tiefling chick to do this versus rogues in the OC and it worked pretty well, by the time you get to Neverwinter you should have around +3d6 or even +4d6 sneak attack damage with a multi-classed rog.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Spells like Iron Body/Stone Body make immune to sneak attacks but casters can only cast it on themselves, unfortunately. The only thing more irritating than a group of rogues is a group of death knights (*cough* MOTB *cough*).

Instead of a fighter/rogue, I like the swashbuckler/rogue combination. Swashbucklers have taunt, lore, diplomacy & bluff as class skills & those skills make the game a very enjoyable experience throughout. :sorcerer:

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. It only shows two misses, but there was upwards of about six or seven misses in a row. And the damage these rogues are doing to my party while dodging every single attack is just beyond lame.

post-1151-1247039615_thumb.jpg

i would recommend you at least for this estate either picking up healing henchman or buy tons of potions... myself i found it very difficult to play any CRPG without healer...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

i would recommend you at least for this estate either picking up healing henchman or buy tons of potions... myself i found it very difficult to play any CRPG without healer...

and Gromnir would recommend not using power attack. take a -5 on attack rolls with pa. disable via your little modes menu... bottom right. second symbol from left in the bottom row... picture o' a sword. click so it ain't highlighted no more.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. It only shows two misses, but there was upwards of about six or seven misses in a row. And the damage these rogues are doing to my party while dodging every single attack is just beyond lame.

You think thats bad, I was on a 2nd playthrough, 2nd playthrough I tend to use the editor to make myself some equipment, so I had equipment that gave me pretty decent hit bonuses, plus true seeing. Well, True Seeing doesn't do anything. Shadows and invisible people still were twice as hard to hit as regular people, I quite often saw things like *miss* (13+12 = 25)

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Invisible characters and shadows have concealment, so you can roll a natural 20 and still get a miss. True Seeing and other divinations do nothing against characters that are simply hidden.

I hated the mansion the OP is talking about, too. I had the suspicion that the rogues weren't there at all, until the very moment they backstab you.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It seemed like those hordes of monsters in the grind areas spawned when you stepped on certain triggers, not when you entered the buildin/cave. It disappointed me quite a bit, having chosen a ranger for my first play through, all beefed up in motion tracker and radar equipment (or whatever the skills/feats are called). All of it useless since there weren't any thugs/orcs to detect until they spawned on top of you. Damned hook horrors...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Seriously, what the hell? Paladin must be the absolute weakest class in this game.

It's not the paladin, it's the quest. That thing is really frustrating I admit, I had to restart two ot three times to see the end (admitedly, I had a Paladin too. A Tiefling Paladin, so weaker than yours I suppose). Well, only council I can give is to used divination spell in case they have a spell on them, and go in slowly with the rogue of your party in Search mode in order to spot the enemies. Good thing with this is that as soon as they are spotted, those morons stay in Hide mode and you can kill them from a distance because they keep walking.

Actually, the best set of classes for NWN2 is Aasimar Paladin/Cleric of Kelemvor. Go for 6 levels of Paladin, and the rest cleric. Also the expansions make all the classes a little more better withthe inclusion of some of the better feats in the game, especially some of the Divine feats.

What? Why would anyone want to water down the mighty CoDzilla with crappy Paladin levels?

@OP:

1. As Gromnir said, turn off Power Attack. It's only effective against targets with low AC, and Rogues are rarely among them.

2. Bring along another companion. Why do you only have two? Grab Elanee.

20795.jpg

I am sorry but I have been playing NWN2 for 2 weeks more or less and I have been playing through the warehouse last week-end and never had a problem. Just note that I have both expansions and have patched my game. I am playing as a cleric and I believe it is a must-have class in the OC. I don't understand your problem as I even had to boost the game's difficulty to get some challenge: I have set it on the hardest level of difficulty, I am using a mod that doesn't allow resting in dangerous areas and I am using a mod called "improved challenge v.4" which raises considerably the enemies' saves, hp, bab and ac.

Have you done all the sub-quests? When I reached the warehouse, I was something like level 8. You could also remove the party member limit so that you may get one more character in my party. I did that so that I could get qara in addition to the 3 first companions. It was challenging but nothing unbeatable.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I am sorry but I have been playing NWN2 for 2 weeks more or less and I have been playing through the warehouse last week-end and never had a problem. Just note that I have both expansions and have patched my game. I am playing as a cleric and I believe it is a must-have class in the OC. I don't understand your problem as I even had to boost the game's difficulty to get some challenge: I have set it on the hardest level of difficulty, I am using a mod that doesn't allow resting in dangerous areas and I am using a mod called "improved challenge v.4" which raises considerably the enemies' saves, hp, bab and ac.
Well, in the warehouse enemies don't suddenly pop up out of nowhere to stab you in the back. :sorcerer:

The major annoyance I had at the early parts of the game is that Qara, Khelgar & Elanee were killing things way earlier than me.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Remove party member limit?

Debug Mode Codes

While playing, hit ~ to bring up the console. Then type in "DebugMode 1" without the quotes. You may then use the following code.

rs ga_party_limit(6)

Raises the amount of party members you may have at once to 6. Default is 3 in Act 1 and 4 in Acts 2 and 3.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

It's a mite tedious, but the most effective way to go through those areas is to have the whole party stand their ground in a doorway and send out one character to pull the enemies towards the others. The doorway takes away the possibility of the enemy rogues flanking your group, so you can all gang up on one or two of them at a time. (Put Khelgar and another high-AC type in front and have the others use missile weapons from behind them.)

The stealthed rogues are annoying, yeah; the only real way to take them on is about one or two at a time, which means no rushing through the mansion. You may also need to retreat and rest a few times; this isn't that huge a deal though, really. I found it eminently doable with a screwed-up Favoured Soul build and again as a Drow Warlock. Not tried with a non-magic class, though.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

It's a mite tedious, but the most effective way to go through those areas is to have the whole party stand their ground in a doorway and send out one character to pull the enemies towards the others. The doorway takes away the possibility of the enemy rogues flanking your group, so you can all gang up on one or two of them at a time. (Put Khelgar and another high-AC type in front and have the others use missile weapons from behind them.)

I second that.

But, since when were there stealthed rogues? All the enemies were visible to my party (unless Neeshka detected them for me)...

I know I'm like three years late, but I just picked up a copy of NWN2 to play. I don't have any of the expansions yet. Just the OC. And I'm seriously ready to quit the game and take it back.

I rolled an Aasimar Paladin and find the class and the game in general extremely frustrating. I'm only about halfway through the game. I'm in Neverwinter and trying to find this NPC named Fihelis to take back to the City Watch. So I'm making my way through his estate, and around almost every corner are stealthed rogues ready to gank.

They are all dual wielding and (seriously) dodge EVERY SINGLE MELEE SWING. Every. Single. One. Dead serious. At the same time, the do SERIOUS damage to you and your party. It's so demoralizing.

Seriously, what the hell? Paladin must be the absolute weakest class in this game. It...can't...hit...for...anything. What the hell am I missing? When I rolled the character, I chose recommend for my stats because I wasn't sure which stats a paladin should favor. So, in other words, I didn't monkey around with my stats or anything. I did what the game told me to do, and it just straight up stinks.

If you find that demoralizing, wait till you are in your mid 20s in Mask of the Betrayer and dock thugs give you a hard time.

I second that.

But, since when were there stealthed rogues? All the enemies were visible to my party (unless Neeshka detected them for me)...

you are thinking of the warehouse which isn't that bad. He is refering to a later level in a mansion where just about every enemy is a stealthed rogue who just appears out of no where to backstab you.

Much harder then the warehouse.

I hate that level in the game, whenever i get to it i dread it personally, so bothersome as at least for me they constantly critical hit their backstabs.

First of all you should have your entire party there instead of just two people, it is a very hard part of the game and you shouldn't limit yourself for it, take Elane for her magic or Neeshka for her detection ability.

Secondly....well, go slowly and if you need to backtrack to the beginning of the level or something so you can rest, yes it is a bit cheap to spam the rest function but for levels like that it is almost necessary.

The biggest problem I had with that warehouse was that the enemies were spawned by triggers, and as the place was fairly open ended, chances were they would spawn right behind in you, next to the mages, in a place you had just "cleared." Very annoying.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Really, I don't know if it's because of the latest patch(es) but I breezed both of these areas without too much effort. No hiding thieves nor weird spawning enemies. Each room had its share of enemies which were dealt with one at time.