NWN2 MotB Character Build

Has anyone already tried monkey gripping scythes? :)

I've played MOTB through once with a pure Ranger and once with a Paladin/Divine Champion. With the ridiculously powerful companions you get in the game, it's hard to go wrong in this regard.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I feel you on the logic of scythes. They probably would not be good in real life for getting critical hits on anything stronger than wheat. But they do look cool.

Grim Reaper disagrees.

I remember a Fallout PnP Special Encounter where you could get his scythe. :)

Oh and the scythes in DnD are among the least stupid weapons.

Edited by Oner

... Di, tried the Eldritch Knight, agree it's fun but there still just too much fiddling around with spells! Might have one in my next SoZ party.

Great, hope you enjoy it! Do consider using sorceror as your magical base rather than wizard. The whole point is to be selective in the spells you choose, so if you need to pass out buffs to your whole party or cast six fireballs in a row you can do so without having to memorize spells purely on guesswork. You don't need lots of spells, you need the right spells and be able to use them when you need them. I've never played SoZ, so this assumes that the Eldritch Knight plays the same in that expansion as it did in the original game.

Let us know how MOTB turns out with the build you finally decide on.

Edited by ~Di

Do you guys know which elemental resistances I should give to my favored soul 10/stormlord 10/warpriest 10 for MotB? Electrical resistance comes automatically with the stormlord but what about the rest?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Well, since I get it for free, wouldn't it be nice to choose an element that is used quite often against me?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

OK, so i like Gromnir's ranger / rogue build idea and I like the Pal / Divine Champ / Ftr build too.

I've made a Rog 4 / Rngr 'X' and he's quite cool (Weapon Focus - Bastard Sword to up the d/w melee ante) but he could be a bit chunkier in combat. What do folks think? Do I sacrifice a few ranger levels for FTR for the feats or consider an evil ranger and take the BG route? Also, my guy is a human and I took able learner so I'm skilled up...any better ideas?

sonsofgygax.JPG

keep in mind that you get perfect 2-weapon fighting for free at ranger level 21... every level o' something else you add is longer you wait for dual wielding perfection. bane of enemies feet is also available at level 21 of ranger.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I will make a pure ranger and see how he does in the spirit barrow.

By far the most twinkie, impossible-to-beat melee monster so far has been:

Fighter 10

Rog 3

Weapon Master 5 (Falchion)

Obviously, I intend to go with monkey Grip for dual-wield silliness, but even now with all the enhanced critical feats he is slaying everything silly enough to confront him. The +2d6 sneak attack plus weapon master feats = insane melee damage. The high-ish intelligence required (I went with 14), plus the rogue levels and able learner feat have given me a formidable array of skills for a more or less pure fighter character, very good bluff / intimidate. Give him the plate armour you find in the ruins and he's an effective tank, better than the war-priest I created I suspect.

OTOH, the pure ranger Grom suggests will get a powerful animal companion and spells, plus good skills.

Will do a try-out this weekend before making a decision.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

one other neato combo to consider for melee types who want big skills and great dialogue options is the swashbuckler builds. swashy insightful strike stacks with combat insight. make a tiefling character with good dex and great int... take at least 3 levels o' swashbuckler and add to either pure ranger or ranger/rogue. a character who gots +30 int and benefiting from insightful strike, combat insight & perfect dual wielding, armed with short swords you can craft in motb, makes for a silly powerful melee combatant 'gainst creatures who ain't immune to crits... and your super high intelligence opens up loads o' dialogue options related to int checks and skills checks. can try boosting AC by taking duelist levels, but then you probably ain't gonna be able to get perfect dual wield... is a tough choice.

'course, the problem with swashbuckler is similar to weapon master in that so much o' combat efficacy is based on criticals and bonuses that only affect creatures subject to criticals. is a rapier in motb that can do crit damage to Some crit immune creatures... only elementals.

btw, you get the transcendent edge falchion via some berserker lodge stuff... don't skip berserker lodge.

HA! Good Fun!

ps keep in mind that the ranger takes a major leap forward in combat efficacy when he gets 21 levels in class. perfect dual wielding is nasty powerful with a str based ranger.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Agreed about the swashbuckler build, I played a swashbuckler/rogue in SoZ and the game was very fun to play with Bluff/Taunt/diplomacy maxed out.. I didn't pick ranger levels since the one I took along in Samarlong was pretty good. AC shouldn't be a problem once one can make +5 mithril breastplate & +5 cloak of deflection. With improved two-weapon defense it should be at least equal to AC of a stud wearing heavy armor.

In MOTB one can ultimately make +8 armor & cloak but it isn't really necessary.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Anyone tried playing through MotB as a Doomguide yet? :lol:

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.