Baseball!

Guard Dog

http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/2009/08/0...ittsburgh-mess/

Great rant on the self destruction going on in Pittsburgh. The Marlins have had three big fire sales over the years, two resulted in the utter dismantling of championship teams. Eight years later they are a much stronger and deeper franchise that plays consistently good baseball has hve for several seasons. Sometimes rebuilding is not a bad thing. It saves money and may produce a winner later on. However, if it is only done to save money with no real eye for the future the result is the Pittsburgh Pirates.

First, Mariotti's a blowhard.

Second, some Pirates fans are actually quite happy with the deals that have been made since the new GM came on board in 2007. Yes, it looks really bad. Over the last two years they

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

*pointedly ignores Volurns ranting* :thumbsup:

I'm feeling pretty happy with V-Mart at the moment. Not that I know much about the trading side of things, but seems it's turning out to be a good one. I miss Masterson's potential long-relief ability - especially during times, like now, when some of Boston's starters have trouble going very long - but so far, V-Mart feels a good fit for the team.

Still desperately looking for a consistent, well rounded SS, tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"*pointedly ignores Volurns ranting*"

*pointedly doesn't ignore crimson's trolling*

Look, I regularly go to a forum where there's a lot of people who like to debate baseball in a similar...enthusiastic...manner as your previous post. I have nothing against it and they seem to have a lot of fun. I just don't enjoy it myself and try not to get engaged in it.

As for trolling, except perhaps for one snarky line, I don't think my actual postings constitute trolling. But whatever...we sports fans are definitely a contentious lot at times.

Anyway...there's a lot of debate going on in "my" net world over the Youk brawl last night. I'm always a little disappointed (tho also, hypocritically entertained...) when players let emotions get the most of them like that but understand the snap nature of 'em. And Lowell stepped up as pinch-runner/hitter nicely. Still, we'll miss Youk's offense/defense during his inevitable suspension. Oh well...C'est la Vie. :sorcerer:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Guest The Architect
Ok I lied in the thread title. It's really the second best game after American football (College and Pro).

And so the lies continue.

Aussie rules football is the king of sports games.

Do any Aussies play in the American baseball league?

Player Born In Date of Birth Debut Year Final Year

Grant Balfour Sydney, Australia 1977-12-30 2001 Active

Shayne Bennett Adelaide, Australia 1972-04-10 1997 1999

Travis Blackley Melbourne, Australia 1982-11-04 2004 Active

Cameron Cairncross Queensland 1972-05-11 2000 2000

Trent Durrington Sydney, Australia 1975-08-27 1999 Active

Mark Ettles Perth, Australia 1966-10-30 1993 1993

Brad Harman Melbourne, Australia 1985-11-19 2008 Active

Justin Huber Melbourne, Australia 1982-07-01 2005 Active

Mark Hutton South Adelaide 1970-02-06 1993 1998

Graeme Lloyd Victoria, Australia 1967-04-09 1993 2003

Damian Moss Darlinghurst 1976-11-24 2001 Active

Peter Moylan Western Australia 1978-12-02 2006 Active

Dave Nilsson Brisbane, Australia 1969-12-14 1992 1999

Chris Oxspring Ipswich, Australia 1977-05-13 2005 Active

Luke Prokopec Blackwood, Australia 1978-02-23 2000 2002

Joe Quinn Sydney, Australia 1864-12-25 1884 1901

Ryan Rowland-Smith Sydney, 1983-01-26 2007 Active

Craig Shipley Parramatta, Australia 1963-01-07 1986 1998

John Stephens Sydney, Australia 1979-11-15 2002 2002

Brad Thomas Sydney, Australia 1977-10-22 2001 Active

Rich Thompson Hornsby, Australia 1984-07-01 2007 Active

Glenn Williams Gosford, Australia 1977-07-18 2005 Active

Jeff Williams Canberra, Australia 1972-06-06 1999 2002

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/bi...p?loc=Australia

Another list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major..._from_Australia

I'm glad the Giants salvaged a win off the Dodgers, Lincecum looked good striking out Manny at one point.

So is it safe to say the once weak NL west is one of the best divisions in baseball?

Nah, it's still pretty weak, other than the Dodgers the teams all have some pretty serious flaws. The Giants have very little power in the line up. I don't know enough about Colorado to say how good they are.

The wildcard spot is still very up for grabs, but wow, I thought Boston was going to lose the game tonight. Awesome 9th inning...and no, not just because "my" team ended up w/a win, but as one of those games that showcases how exciting and 'not over until the fat lady sings' baseball can be. And why most fans don't leave until the game's last out. Well, unless their team is losing by 15 runs in the 8th, maybe. :)

I've seen many late inning comebacks like that, from many teams...and they're always pure awesomesauce to watch.

Edited by LadyCrimson

After that disasterous road trip out west the Rays finally picked up a win. It was a terrible week for sure but with two more series remaining against the Yankees and Red Sox they still control their own destiny. But their chances of playing in October have fallen considerably.

The Faboulous Fighting Fish of South Florida are just rolling! They play a double header today at home against Colorado who they have just owned this year, plus the Phillies were kind enough to lose last night and will have their hands full with Atlanta today the Marlins could end the day one game back!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Always nice to hear about a dodger loss. What a great game that was. Here in SD we hit a 3 run walk off homer against the cubbies. For some unknown reason they walked the ultimate choke artist Kevin Kozmanoff to pitch to the rookie Banks who immediately made them regret their decision, 4-1 Padres!

i had SD up on game day when it went down... first i was thrilled that eckstein got driven in for the tie. then i was thinking "wow, wouldn't that be cool if SD got a homer to win it?" er, yup! a chitown loss means the redbirds are 6.0 games ahead now (16 above .500, too.)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Brad Penny, I don't like you. You might be the nicest guy on the planet, but when you're on the mound against the Yankees...well, like I said..I don't like you.

Giants are whooping the Rockies right now. If they can take the series, it should give them a nice edge for the wild card.

The Giants pitching is just sick. I knew Lincecum, Cain, and closer Brian Wilson were good, but Zito has been great, Sanchez is coming into his own, and Jeremy Affeldt has been a fantastic middle reliever. Once Randy Johnson comes back, they have 5 starters that can shut teams down completely.

Huge weekend for the playoff contenders. Rockies/Giants, Red Sox/Yanks Marlins/Braves and Rays/Rangers. Big win for TB last night. Who would have thought an almost no-name free agent pick up like Greg Zaun could make such a positive impact on the club. Another win against the Rangers and another Red Sox loss will make for a good night. The Rays are peaking and jut the right time.

The fish are looking for two in a row over Atlanta tonight, but with Chris Volstad on the mound, prospects are far from certain. Depends on which Chris Volstad shows up. I hope it's the one that dominated the Rockies last week and not the one that gave up six earned runs on ten hits in two innings against the Cubs.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

carp is 14-3 with a 2.16 era. only 2 others in the NL with 14 wins, and they have more losses (8 and 7). i'm seeing another cy young in carp's future! woohoo!

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Disappointed Giants lost last night, was rooting for them...still hoping they'll make the wild card.

Boston/NY having their usual crazy games...one routs the other one night, the next night opposite result. Tonight, Beckett and CC...this could be epic.

Watched the Rays get absolutely stuffed yesterday. Baseball isn't much fun when your team is getting totally shut down. They did show a little life in the 9th and made it interesting, but not interesting enough. At least the took two of three from Texas and gained a game on the Sox.

Thomas Sowell